Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Coolant & oil temps: Dash gauge vs CAN

Coolant and oil temperature data collected from ’09 C2S and ’12 GTS:

PDK on both cars.
PWR radiators (3) running distilled water & Water Wetter.
Gearbox fluid cooler mounted in front of a portion of the center radiator.
Chin Red Group & DMTD Open Track days at Sebring on a 90+degree, high humidity day around 1pm and a more moderate 70ish, high humidity 9am session.
Data logged by AiM Solo DL via CAN connection.

Dash coolant temp gauge is at 175 from a couple minutes after starting the car, throughout the 30 minute session and after cool down. Never moves. Dash oil temp gauge rises to just below 275 (moderate days) or just above 275 (90+ degree days) by the 2nd – 4th lap of the session.

Data logged by the Solo DL reports coolant temp at 180 – 190 at the start of a session (variance likely due to the amount of time at idle waiting to be released on to track) and rises near end of session to 204 – 212ish. Highest I have ever seen is 222. Dash gauge at 175 the whole time.

Data logged by the Solo DL reports oil temp at 165 - 180 at the start of a session (variance likely
due to the amount of time at idle waiting to be released on to track) and rises near end of session to mid 230s on moderate to normally hot Central Florida days and to mid 240s on 90+ degree days. Highest I have ever seen is 255. Again, dash gauge is reading in the 275 region the whole time.

Cool down routine (at Sebring) is a 3.7 mile off – pace in lap, through the pits and into the paddock where I stop, and sit for the 20 – 30 seconds it takes the DL and SCHD to terminate the logging and video for that session. I then exit the track and drive on the local roads at 55 – 65 mph in 6th gear for 5 – 8 miles. By then coolant and oil temps are back close to where they were prior to the session and I don’t feel like I have to worry about heat soak so I pit and download data and video.

All of the above is based solely on my experience in two 997.2s. YMMV as they say. Cheers.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The data is just smoothed out to 175 F all the time. Ultimate data smoothing.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Data logged by AiM Solo DL via CAN connection.

Data logged by the Solo DL reports coolant temp at 180 – 190 at the start of a session (variance likely due to the amount of time at idle waiting to be released on to track) and rises near end of session to 204 – 212ish. Highest I have ever seen is 222. Dash gauge at 175 the whole time.
That is really interesting... this is the first solid piece of evidence beyond emotional conspiracy theories. So, what I will now do, is plug my Durametric back in and try to find that CAN bucket. The only one(s) I found reflect the dash temperature.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Oil filter after 6500 miles