Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter & Cables - Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts
Default Numeric Shifter & Cables - Experience

Finally took the plunge and had the shifter and cables installed. Bought them as part of the recent RL group buy. Previously I had the OE SSK installed which was a great improvement from the stock shifter.

I only have a couple hundred km on the Numeric set so not a deep impression yet. But initial impressions are that I like it compared to the OE SSK and should have gone in this direction in the first place. The feel of the shifter is like it's been described by previous posters, mechanical, rifle bolt action.

The one issue I have is that the shop couldn't get my OE carbon shift **** back on the shift lever. It was a struggle, they tried forcing it with body weight etc. The shop has installed Numeric units before, is well respected in the community for Porsche service and is owned by a Factory Master Tech who also looked at the issue. The shops solution was to file the tip of the shift lever to bevel it which allowed the shift **** to fully lock into place.

I did email Numeric and got a response from Faith to use WD40 and push on it hard. Which they tried to no success. Faith then offered to send me a replacement. Seemed like the supplied lever was out of spec and didn't have beveled tip. However I couldn't leave my car at the shop and wait for a new lever nor did I want to have them replace the old shifter until a replacement arrived. So we went with the filing solution and worked like a charm.

I have since been in touch with Faith to take her up on the replacement lever. Figure I'll have the shop replace it next time I am there. However Numeric has gone silent, so not sure if they are sending one or not. A bit disappointing.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I have about 2k miles on my Numeric Shifter and cables and it still feels as solid as day one. At the track it really shines and adding the Function First shift **** really completes the "feel" of the rifle bolt action.

As far as Numeric going silent....no excuse here but it is the holiday weekend here in the US and lots of people are starting vacations. However this is no excuse in my book. A phone message or email back saying they have your concern and will get back to you in "x" is a minimum level of customer service.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:39 PM
2006997s2leslie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the the cables in my car as teh stock cables broke. I am not sure why I need the shifter now. The cables are so precise. It is very mechanical now. No more slopping shifting. I love it. Why would I want a new shifter?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I have about 2k miles on my Numeric Shifter and cables and it still feels as solid as day one. At the track it really shines and adding the Function First shift **** really completes the "feel" of the rifle bolt action.

As far as Numeric going silent....no excuse here but it is the holiday weekend here in the US and lots of people are starting vacations. However this is no excuse in my book. A phone message or email back saying they have your concern and will get back to you in "x" is a minimum level of customer service.
I installed the Function First shifter with all new Numeric cables and it is perfect like my perfectly tuned 1985 PD Design Titanium watch!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:23 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S

Glad to hear yours is still running great!

I just got around to posting this now. I actually sent them a note to take up on the replacement offer on May 18.

Maybe they'll read my post here. I was debating whether to mention that aspect in my post. Decided to because well, it's my experience and truth. I've come to value the threads in RL right from the start of searching for my first 911. It's our experiences that add value around here.

Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:56 PM
poparelly
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is anyone around Austin with either of these installed? I would like to feel the difference. My last 997 had the factory SSK, but my current 997 does not. Looking to do shifter, cables, or both as a father's day gift.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997s2leslie
I installed the the cables in my car as teh stock cables broke. I am not sure why I need the shifter now. The cables are so precise. It is very mechanical now. No more slopping shifting. I love it. Why would I want a new shifter?
No one has ever just done the cables by itself without the shifter so your experience is interesting to know.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006997s2leslie
Would it be accurate to say the factory shift length has remained but the lever goes more accurately into each gate?

I'm interested in the cables to make shifting more precise but don't want to change the shift length - I like the long throw!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

The Numeric has three positions to select from. I think the first one is about a 10 percent reduction from Stock. I use the middle setting which is about 30 percent reduction.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:47 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

I had the OEM SSK and am running the Numeric in the middle slot which is about 15% less throw than the SSK. The third slot (shortest) is just too short for my liking and requires quite a bit of muscling.

i did do the cables first and drove it for about 10 miles and didn't like it so I already had the shifter ready to throw in.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is anyone in Northern VA/DC metro area who has installed numeric shifter? I like to feel if before I buy it.

Thanks,

Last edited by Pors968; 09-01-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter & Cables - Experience