Help choosing between 2 cars: .2 C4 and C2S

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Help choosing between 2 cars: .2 C4 and C2S

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a sub $50k 997.2, and have found 2 potentially good cars within a 5 hour drive of my location.

Both cars must be 6MT, and there aren't that many floating around. Both owned by PCA members, maintained well, and in top-condition.

The first is a 2009 997.2 C4, well optioned, upgraded suspension (Bilstein B8 and H&R springs, Gundo, Sharkwerks bypass, 20" HRE wheels), sport chrono+. One-owner car, all records, he will go $45k, and it has 33,000 miles.

2nd is a 2010 C2S, 51,000 miles. Stock factory build; manual, LSD, sport seats!, but no Sport Chrono. Seller is firm at $49,500.

I am trying to decide which to pursue. I can't exactly casually "check out" either car.

I have driven both the C4S and C2S in the past, both were great fun, and I can't say I would prefer one over the other.

Basically, it comes down to this: is the extra 40hp on the C2S worth paying an extra $5500 for and accepting a car with almost 20k more miles? I expect the C4 to sound better and handle better with the exhaust and suspension upgrades. The upgraded HRE wheels (18's are included with the sale) is also a nice bonus. I would assume 345hp is adequate for street driving, and according to Sharkwerks, the bypass pipes are worth a few HP or so too.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2009 C4 looks to be a nicer car, sounds like you might be from Boston so the AWD will come in handy. It's cheaper and has lower miles, C4 gets my vote.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:01 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you drive your 911 in snow condition, if so C4 is your car. Do you track your car? If not, C4 is more than enough for public road. Is 345hp enough for city and highway speed, it's plenty of speed for public roads. I am leaningheavy on the C4. Good luck
Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

I wouldn't buy a 997 with 20" wheels on it. Shows a general lack of good judgement by the previous owner
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
The 2009 C4 looks to be a nicer car, sounds like you might be from Boston so the AWD will come in handy. It's cheaper and has lower miles, C4 gets my vote.
Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Do you drive your 911 in snow condition, if so C4 is your car. Do you track your car? If not, C4 is more than enough for public road. Is 345hp enough for city and highway speed, it's plenty of speed for public roads. I am leaningheavy on the C4. Good luck
What they said....

Originally Posted by Fined
I wouldn't buy a 997 with 20" wheels on it. Shows a general lack of good judgement by the previous owner
Easy fix. Sell the 20s and get a nice set of 19s. Problem solved.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:33 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jsalah
What they said....

Easy fix. Sell the 20s and get a nice set of 19s. Problem solved.
Anyone got a nice set of OEM 19's for widebody for sale?

I am leaning toward the C4 as well. The upgrades are something I would put on the car anyways, so that saves me quite a bit up front. The C2S "pluses" are the extra power, and the adaptive sport seats, which look rad. I don't know how much more effective the seats are however.

I don't drive in snow, but I hear the C4/C4S platform can be a whole lot of fun as well.

Not tracking seriously. I would get an RX7 for that and learn how to drive a car that I can afford to replace! Probably a couple of HPDE each year.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a sub $50k 997.2, and have found 2 potentially good cars within a 5 hour drive of my location.

Both cars must be 6MT, and there aren't that many floating around. Both owned by PCA members, maintained well, and in top-condition.

The first is a 2009 997.2 C4, well optioned, upgraded suspension (Bilstein B8 and H&R springs, Gundo, Sharkwerks bypass, 20" HRE wheels), sport chrono+. One-owner car, all records, he will go $45k, and it has 33,000 miles.

2nd is a 2010 C2S, 51,000 miles. Stock factory build; manual, LSD, sport seats!, but no Sport Chrono. Seller is firm at $49,500.

I am trying to decide which to pursue. I can't exactly casually "check out" either car.

I have driven both the C4S and C2S in the past, both were great fun, and I can't say I would prefer one over the other.

Basically, it comes down to this: is the extra 40hp on the C2S worth paying an extra $5500 for and accepting a car with almost 20k more miles? I expect the C4 to sound better and handle better with the exhaust and suspension upgrades. The upgraded HRE wheels (18's are included with the sale) is also a nice bonus. I would assume 345hp is adequate for street driving, and according to Sharkwerks, the bypass pipes are worth a few HP or so too.
OP HRE makes a great wheel, likely lighter+stronger then the stock wheels... given the c4 was not an S likely was rolling on sad 18's so the HRE 20's and suspension work a plus!

Originally Posted by Fined
Purists = No class

well made 20's many times better then stocker 19's if a quality forged 20's wheel...and look a hell of a lot better then 18's. I know I know, no one cars about looks, the all mighty purist only about function. Bahahaaaahahaah
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Everything considered above ... C4 and see how you like the 20s - probably lighter and might work very well with the rest of the suspension mods?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by the_buch
Everything considered above ... C4 and see how you like the 20s - probably lighter and might work very well with the rest of the suspension mods?
I do worry about bad roads here. These tires are super low profile, much more than a 991 20". I would hate to crack a $1000+ wheel.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I do worry about bad roads here. These tires are super low profile, much more than a 991 20". I would hate to crack a $1000+ wheel.
its no longer a 1K wheel.... likely now a 500+ wheel as many new wheels loose half the value the day mounted. Don't make the decision based on a wheel...make it on the car. The good news is the 20's are HRE and that's usually a very well made and light weight wheel. Sounds like prior owner spent money on quality mods... the suspension you noted not cheap etc. If you buy it try them and if you don't like sell them, easy enough. The HRE's Likely a step up then what was on the car from factory...
Old 05-18-2017, 06:13 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickfluff
its no longer a 1K wheel.... likely now a 500+ wheel as many new wheels loose half the value the day mounted. Don't make the decision based on a wheel...make it on the car. The good news is the 20's are HRE and that's usually a very well made and light weight wheel. Sounds like prior owner spent money on quality mods... the suspension you noted not cheap etc. If you buy it try them and if you don't like sell them, easy enough. The HRE's Likely a step up then what was on the car from factory...
He said the stock 18's are included too. Those wheels are "meh". I agree!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the C4 come with PASM. If so, I would get that. If not get the S. PASM Makes a big difference in daily driving. Sport Seats are special, you can add sport chrono software if that's important.

I personally like to get cars that are 'stock' then make the mods myself.

I don't get the love for 20" rims, too much for me, prefer 19, or possibly 18...
Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cosanchez
Does the C4 come with PASM. If so, I would get that. If not get the S. PASM Makes a big difference in daily driving. Sport Seats are special, you can add sport chrono software if that's important.

I personally like to get cars that are 'stock' then make the mods myself.

I don't get the love for 20" rims, too much for me, prefer 19, or possibly 18...
No idea if it came with PASM. It has Bilstein B8's paired up with H&R springs now, so PASM would be void, but the B8 setup was originally designed as the X73 suspension, so I am sure it beats PASM any day (although I haven't driven a 997 with PASM). From what have read on the board in archived posts, the B8 and H&R combo is a superb performance street setup. I ran my 991 with SPASM in the aggressive setting 100% of the time, and my other vehicle is a 1st gen Toyota Tacoma with Tundra Bilstein struts installed along with a lift by the previous owner. If you think a sports car can be an aggressive ride, try that thing out! KW clubsports feel like a barcalounger in comparison.

Sport seats seem sweet: maybe I can score a used set, then re-sell them once I am done with the car? I agree on the 20" wheels, I can always sell and get 19's.

I am leaning toward the C4. It seems like a lot of car for the $, and already having the suspension dialed is a big plus, as is the lower mileage and lower cost. I bet it sounds sweet with that exhaust upgrade too!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

...is the extra 40hp on the C2S worth paying an extra...
On that specific point, Best Motoring International compared the acceleration of various 997.2 models - YouTube
  • ¼ mile drag races between PDK versions of the C2, C2S, C4 and C4S
  • To jump forward to see the individual drag races, see:
    • 2m33s - C2 (silver) vs. C2S (yellow)
    • 3m43s - C4 (white) vs. C4S (black)
    • 4m11s - C2S (yellow) vs. C4S (black)

Gives you a visual sense of what the extra HP gets you (or not)...

Karl.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Given your comments on spasm always in sport mode the c4 then looks like the winner for you! Go get it and post some pictures.... Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help choosing between 2 cars: .2 C4 and C2S