Sponsored by:

Buying a car out of state

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buying a car out of state

Another rennlister and I have an agreement for me to buy his 997. Private sale. Can't wait. He's in California, I'm in Texas. I'm a little confused by the paperwork process. I could designate a family member of mine in CA to be power of attorney for the seller to sign the title over to.... but I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it.

1) Sign title over seller to family member in CA (???)
2) Concurrently send balance of purchase price to seller
3) Get insured in my name immediately
4) Car gets aboard truck once it can pick it up from family member's home
5) Car gets to TX.... go through registration/sales tax process?

Confused. Anyone in TX purchased from California (private sale)?

I apologize if this post is misplaced in this forum.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

I purchased out of state last year but from a dealer - but I have read on here where people have run the deal through a local P dealer for a nominal fee.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

If a car is sold to a Cali resident that individual must register the car with the DMV and pay 8+% tax.

What you could do is to ask the seller to enter your name as buyer in the CA DMV pink slip and use your family member to process the payment and take possession of the car. At that point you have the car's title assigned to you. Move the car to Tx with that title and title it there.

Check with your car insurance co. but I do not think you need to get insurance immediately. You can drive the car to Tx and insure it there, as your existing car insurance covers you.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the seller sign his portion of the title and have the family member provide the seller with your information so he can fill out the buyer info on the title and the seller will be able to complete the release of liability with California DMV online. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ne/nrl/welcome No need to put the title in your friends name.

You can also have the seller sign off on a CA DMV 262 form which may or may not be needed in Texas but it helps with private party sales in California. Have your friend stop in any local dealership and ask for a 262 form. I am in Hermosa Beach and can supply one if the car is local to us.

Then have your friend mail/fedex you the title where you can sign the back. If your friend can also take delivery of the car that would be best. Then have your carrier pick up the car from your friends house.

To be safe before you send payment (wire transfer or certified funds) have your friend verify the sellers identity and make sure it matches the title and registration.

When the car gets to Texas you will have to get a state inspection and emission test completed then you take all your paperwork to your local BMV to have everything transferred and taxes will be collected then (if applicable).

Or you can have a local P dealer assist you with it. If the car is close to the South Bay area I am happy to assist as well.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:32 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wassur hit the nail on the head. If you put it into your family members name, they will get hit for taxes and carfax will show another owner. Family member fills out your info, seller fills out his info, family member takes car with signed title and shipper picks it up at family members house.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Default bought in CA, shipped to WI

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
Another rennlister and I have an agreement for me to buy his 997. Private sale. Can't wait. He's in California, I'm in Texas. I'm a little confused by the paperwork process. I could designate a family member of mine in CA to be power of attorney for the seller to sign the title over to.... but I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it.

1) Sign title over seller to family member in CA (???)
2) Concurrently send balance of purchase price to seller
3) Get insured in my name immediately
4) Car gets aboard truck once it can pick it up from family member's home
5) Car gets to TX.... go through registration/sales tax process?

Confused. Anyone in TX purchased from California (private sale)?

I apologize if this post is misplaced in this forum.

Thanks!
I recently bought a 997.2 from an individual in Los Angeles. It was a simple and straightforward process. I scheduled a transport company to pick the car up on a Thursday. I flew to LA on Tuesday and took an uber to her home. I inspected, drove, and then paid her for the car with a cashier's check, and drove it to my hotel. I then drove it around SoCal for a couple of days.

The truck driver picked the car up at my hotel. I kept the signed title and the bill of sale with me. I took an uber back to the airport and flew home to wait for my Porsche to arrive. Once in WI, I registered the car and paid the WI sales tax. I could have done it with only one night in the hotel, but I wanted to drive the car in February and knew I couldn't in WI.

I don't see how the process could be much different for a Texas resident.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:50 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Thanks everyone! It sounds like it's less complicated than I'd feared.

Darkhorse - the difference in my case is that I won't be there in person to sign the title in California. A family member is going to take possession (not legally, but for storage) of the car until the truck comes. I've not seen the car in person. Had some critical eyes on it out there, a lot of communication with the seller, as well as a PPI which was favorable.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Default You can still go

Darkhorse - the difference in my case is that I won't be there in person to sign the title in California. A family member is going to take possession (not legally, but for storage) of the car until the truck comes. I've not seen the car in person. Had some critical eyes on it out there, a lot of communication with the seller, as well as a PPI which was favorable.

Thanks!
Hi, the reason I shared my story is because you could be there. True, I used FF miles and hotel points, but SWA flies from TX to CA for cheap and you have family to stay with. That way you get to see, touch, and feel the car before you plunk down your hard earned money. I have bought two, sight-unseen, from dealers, but for this last one, I really appreciated meeting the seller, learning a bit about the car from her perspective, and driving it before I gave up my dough.

What's a couple of hundred towards tens of thousands for your new Porsche?
Old 05-07-2017, 02:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks!
Buyer doesn't sign the title on purchase, only seller - maybe when you register but not on purchase.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Thanks jhbrennan, that sounds even better.

Darkhorse - yes that would be my absolute preference if I could do it logistically within the timeframe needed. It has nothing to do with airfare, just that work business prevents me from leaving town for the next few weeks, so this must be the mode of acquisition. After searching for months, I found what I believe to be the perfect car for me...it just happens to be 1500 miles away! Thanks again for your advice.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Enjoy your new Porsche!

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state