Sponsored by:

New 997 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 01:03 PM
burnze
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997 owner

I'm 32 yo and have been tinkering with 80's BMWs since my college days – Mostly because they are cheap to pick up, fun to drive and easy to maintain. I currently own an 87 e28 (my 5th one). My second car is a 16' Tiguan.

A Porsche had always been out of my $$$ reach, at least one that wasn't made 99-2004. Air-cooled was out of the question. This year I was finally at a point where I could start looking at 987s, which to me were the next best things after the 997. So I started hunting for the perfect Cayman S.

I found a couple that I almost pulled the trigger on but for some reason didn't.

Then, a couple of weeks back I was doing my daily CL, autotrader, ebay, cars.com search. I set the filters to the usual. Porsche 2005-2009, less than 80K miles, manual, coupe. That usually gave me all of the Caymans and also the misspelled Caymens. But this time it also gave me a little surprise.

A 911 in my price range. The most basic of basic, black on black, 6mt, 2008 Carrera.

I immediately called and set up a time to view. At first sight and with 72K miles, you could tell it was a daily driver but the documents showed it was well maintained. Why was it in that price range? Well, the owner had just bought an Audi R8 so I'm guessing he probably needed the garage space. Fast-forward a couple of weeks of VIN checks, inspections and negotiating and we finally struck a deal.

So today's a special day and not just because it's Cinco de Mayo. Today I'm taking an uber to my credit union and getting the keys to my first Porsche.

Stay tuned for pictures.

Quick Reply: New 997 owner