Sponsored by:

Fun with wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:42 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fun with wheels

backstory: I bought the car with these 3-piece wheels. They are chromed and had painted (black) and clearcoated sections on the spokes. The clearcoat was peeling and I did not like the looks. I got quotes to refinish them either in the original look and some alternative looks...for the same money I could have bought all new wheels (and get something I liked more). So I plasti-dipped the centers black a couple years ago, thinking it'd give me time to make a decision. (1) the plastidip held up like a champ and (2) I got unsolicited complements non-stop on the wheels. So they stayed as is. Granted, they were 10 footers, since there are visible spots where the underlying imperfections from the slightly peeled clearcoat shows a small "lip" in the plastidip.

Fastforward: my front tires aged-out and I got a huge screw in a rear tire. Despite taking lots of precautions, discount tire marred the plastidip. To top it off, one rear wheel started leaking between the barrel and the center. Having it disassembled and repaired meant I needed to attend to the plastidip sooner rather than later.

So, I was in autozone the other day and saw duplicolor's competing plastidip product in "vintage gold." That'd be funny I thought. Well, the elementary school age crowd at drop off and softball games looooooves the look

I dunno if it will stay, but for now it makes me smile.

Quick Reply: Fun with wheels