Sponsored by:

What's that? A puddle? Uh-oh!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:15 PM
JustRob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's that? A puddle? Uh-oh!

So I was out and about yesterday in the Porsche. A couple of hours later I happen to be in the garage and notice a puddle, actually more of a thin river flowing from under the car. I blotted it up with a white paper towel. It's totally colorless, totally odorless, and did not feel at all greasy. I checked underneath, and even stuck the 14 megapixel camera under there but none of the shots revealed any moisture.

Whatever it was, it was hitting the floor about a foot inward and a foot backward of the left rear tire. Possibly coolant? I've read a few threads that suggest that as a possibility. But, again, no color or odor. It was pretty warm and humid here in Orlando yesterday. Could it be condensation from the AC? I don't know how the AC lines run on the car.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-30-2017, 05:00 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Water. Don't worry about it. For some reason when I had my 996 everyone once in a while it would leave a huge condensation puddle. Most of the time just left a few drops. Scared the crap out of me the first time it did it
Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Blinker fluid.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRob
So I was out and about yesterday in the Porsche. A couple of hours later I happen to be in the garage and notice a puddle, actually more of a thin river flowing from under the car. I blotted it up with a white paper towel. It's totally colorless, totally odorless, and did not feel at all greasy. I checked underneath, and even stuck the 14 megapixel camera under there but none of the shots revealed any moisture.

Whatever it was, it was hitting the floor about a foot inward and a foot backward of the left rear tire. Possibly coolant? I've read a few threads that suggest that as a possibility. But, again, no color or odor. It was pretty warm and humid here in Orlando yesterday. Could it be condensation from the AC? I don't know how the AC lines run on the car.

Any help is appreciated!
Hot and humid in Florida, right? You're probably seeing condensation from the AC.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM
JustRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Hot and humid in Florida, right? You're probably seeing condensation from the AC.
That's what I'm thinking. A spirited drive the following day yielded nothing. That's a very special feeling of relief!
Old 05-02-2017, 04:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Condensation usually shows up near the FRONT of the car. Seeping coolant is pink and directly beneath the engine, favoring the left side a small bit. Brake fluid will show up near each wheel, if the caliper is leaking. You will know that stuff from water quickly.

Lesson: Years ago I had to stop VERY quickly because some bozo decided to cut me off. Everything shifted in my trunk. Later, I noticed a lot of fluid underneath the front of my car. Horror! It was oil. I thought that a line had cracked to a forward cooler. (Air cooled turbo 911).

Alas,--one of the many quarts of oil I used to carry in the trunk got punctured and was dripping out of a drip hole in the bottom of the trunk!

Be very mindful of everything that emanates from your car!
Old 05-02-2017, 11:02 AM
JustRob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Condensation usually shows up near the FRONT of the car. Seeping coolant is pink and directly beneath the engine, favoring the left side a small bit. Brake fluid will show up near each wheel, if the caliper is leaking. You will know that stuff from water quickly.

Lesson: Years ago I had to stop VERY quickly because some bozo decided to cut me off. Everything shifted in my trunk. Later, I noticed a lot of fluid underneath the front of my car. Horror! It was oil. I thought that a line had cracked to a forward cooler. (Air cooled turbo 911).

Alas,--one of the many quarts of oil I used to carry in the trunk got punctured and was dripping out of a drip hole in the bottom of the trunk!

Be very mindful of everything that emanates from your car!
My first thought was that condensation would be up front around the condenser area, but not knowing how the plumbing runs, and where potential condensation points are, I wasn't sure.

Obviously I'm trying to be mindful of what comes out of the car. Even the blinker fluid. That's the purple stuff, right?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:06 PM
yer_man
AutoX

If it is the purple blinker fluid, make sure that the colorless globules suspended in the purple liquid are evenly spaced. Otherwise, your blinkers won't flash at consistent intervals.

You may have experienced the "rapid blinker flash" that comes when your blinker fluid compressor is about to fail, causing you to have non-operating blinkers at one (or more) corners of your vehicle.

Make sure to have your service technician check the blinker fluid level at each service interval.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JustRob
My first thought was that condensation would be up front around the condenser area, but not knowing how the plumbing runs, and where potential condensation points are, I wasn't sure.

Obviously I'm trying to be mindful of what comes out of the car. Even the blinker fluid. That's the purple stuff, right?
A/C condensation comes from the evaporator which is located inside the HVAC system towards the center of the car. There is enough condensation that there should be a catch tray with a drain to carry the water down to below the bottom edge of the car.

The condenstation will be plain old water.

IF the water has any color to it, feels slick when the fingers are rubbed together, the odds are its anti-freeze.

Non water based fluid is power steering fluid, brake fluid, then of course there's oil...

Quick Reply: What's that? A puddle? Uh-oh!