Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C4 enough car? Coming from E92 M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:23 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

To keep equivalent performance in a straight line the "S" is going to give you that and a touch more. It is still a rev happy engine and you will need to be in the powerband to have it pull nicely (5k-7k rpm). The base car will be enough car i think, but will be at best equal to the m3 in a straight line (likely a touch slower). Should that matter? I don't know... if you are thinking non-turbo 911 you arent going to max your straight line performance for the $$$ so i assume the other selling points are more important.

Drive a few cars...
Old 04-23-2017, 06:38 PM
dannysf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a C2, coming from an SLK55. I admit that the car does feel slow. I could use a bit more power, though driving it at high RPMs is fun and overall the car is a blast to drive. The S may be just the ticket.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:21 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 691 Likes on 416 Posts

Have driven several m roadsters, m3's and m5's. The c4 prob enough engine and you'll be happy. P is much lighter car and more nimble feeling. Far better driving feel.
I got 2S for two primary reasons; Psam and pse. For regular driving on poor roads normal suspension much much better than any m. But push sport button and it's superb ride and handling, and with pse the song from the rear is superb. And ride still better than m's.
Yes you can modify suspension and exhaust but stuck with one setup and sound. Mine is dd and like can have both ways at push of a button. Love the pse but if just cruising along louder exhaust will get tiring.
Haven't driven c4 but will say it's a blast to hammer my car and light up rear end.
Also highly recommend the adaptive lights. Significant difference. Also enjoy vented seats, course have a cab in which makes difference lol. But buddy of mine with coupe says his next one will have vented seats.
Happy hunting!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is what Car and Driver had to say back in 2009:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

"Thumbs nestle comfortably onto the ergonomically shaped buttons on the steering-wheel spokes. A mere squeeze shifts the transmission: forward for upshifts, back for downshifts. In auto mode, the PDK operates with fuel economy in mind and an almost seamless efficiency—except in crawling freeway traffic. Instead of locking in first gear to roll along slowly, the PDK more often putt-putts forward by repeatedly goosing the clutch.

Actually, we never took a shine to the plastic buttons, which are incongruously cold and computer-like in such a primal machine. They imply a future where cars are operated by nose twitches and lip smacks, and a poorly timed sneeze causes a pileup. If we can’t operate a clutch and shifter, have the satisfaction of pushing pedals and sliding shift forks, we’ll take the M3’s paddles. At least you have to move your fingers.

The 911 has statistical appeal: It’s lighter than the M3 by 380 pounds without using Millennium Falcon materials, and it keeps the pace with an identical 4.1-second 0-to-60-mph sprint despite being down two cylinders, 385 cubic centimeters, and 69 horsepower. Midrange torque even feels stronger than that of the cammy, not-much-below-4000-rpm V-8 in the M3.

This 911 lacks options but never feels economy-class inside, the black-leather manually sliding buckets still welcoming after all-day sits. We’d recommend adding only the $1320 Sport Chrono pack to give the PDK “sport” and “sport plus” modes for faster shifts when you want them, plus launch control.

Everything is configurable on this hyper-tech machine, especially compared with the one-form-fits-all 911. The orthopedic seats have electric adjustments for lumbar and side bolsters, and the thigh cushions slide to taste. The “power” button adjusts the throttle response; the dynamic stability control turns the skid nanny to zero or to an M Dynamic mode for fun but crash-free lapping.

You can change the shock stiffness, vary the steering weight, and pick the shift speed and harshness from one of six settings. All for a price that, with the other options, still undercuts our Amish Edition 911 by $7845.

Voters found the classic 911 shape more pleasing, but the M3’s slick wrapping includes a fast, hardtop roofline and a hood with more bulge than a Jockey billboard. The BMW is longer and heavier, but some things are worth the price, including a usable—indeed, commodious—back seat and a significantly quieter cabin.

With the M3’s many buttons, you can make of it what you want: loafing commuter, track animal, high-speed touring express. But no matter how you set it, the M3 astounds. There’s more front-end grip than most people have the guts to exploit, the steering wheel able to carve perfectly elliptical arcs up a winding road at foolish speeds. Where the 911 battles each corner, sometimes in a nerve-jangling sine wave of alternating grip and push, the M3 is dead calm. It shows hardly any body roll or bobble, the chassis balanced with the poise of a Bolshoi star. Call it insulation, or call it stupendous competence, but the M3 chewed 1.1 seconds off the 911’s best Laguna lap time and was quicker through the lane-change maneuver.

When the M3’s tail wags, as it so often does in hot lapping, a finely calibrated throttle makes it easy to ride out the drift and ease it back into line. The wheel effort is lighter than the 911’s, too light for some, but the talk-back is solid, as is the sense of immutable control.

Where the low-slung 911 feels more sporting, the M3 wears like a sedan. The seats seem higher, the dash layout more conventional, the foot and leg space more generous. Upshift lights ring the tach, and the 8400-rpm redline actually moves depending on the engine temperature. Stitching in BMW M tricolor and bands of upholstery pressed with a carbon-fiber weave enhance the motorsports theme.

This isn’t the single-clutch, neck-jerking, hateful sequential manual gearbox (SMG) of old. BMW’s new M DCT is also a twin-clutch box like the 911’s but with two paddles—left for down, right for up—to change gears in a fluid eye blink. We found it easier to make friends with, and missed shifts were less common. Even the launch control is adjustable: The step-off rpm can be varied using the cruise-control ****.

Have it your way, says BMW. We’ll have ours in blue or red."

Their criticisms would be addressed with the more options but that leads to the cost criticism of new 911s. Fortunately the cost part has gone down greatly on the 997. The AWD system on the .2 is lighter and more dynamic than the .1 so it should make for an even better drive.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

It being 'enough' car will depend largely on what you're accustomed to owning.

A C4 would not have been enough car for me.. I needed lighter, and more focused, than my other car a moderately tuned and built TTRS. I knew that the TTRS will be faster than any Carrera I was interested.. so I got a GTS for various reasons but one of them was that it would be the closest I could get in straight line quickness to the TTRS without going into a 911 Turbo (which I didn't want)

Quick Reply: 997 C4 enough car? Coming from E92 M3