Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 03:43 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
In California a plug is not legal...
Oh brother, we're breaking some Kalifornia law!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Just ordered the Dynaplug Pro Extreme and must say I'm already feeling quite good about some upcoming long long rides in the whip.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
Dynaplug seems to promote their solution as a permanent fix - is there any reason NOT to believe this?

What is the issue with plugs, do they have a history of popping out? It seems to me that a solid piece of rubber vulcanized in the hole would be better than just a thin patch inside with a hole still through the tire... but I don't have experience with plugs.

I bought the Dynaplug Pro kit a year or two ago, unfortunately it didn't come with the nice zippered pouch then!
Plug is not really permanent. You should take it to a tire shop eventually so they can put a proper patch from the inside. But you can drive for weeks without any issues. The risk with the tire plug is that the tire will not manage high speeds. It can - but I wouldn't run this car at 250 km/h with only a plug.

Also - in many countries it's illegal to even plug a high speed rated tire.

Tire plugs offer so many advantages over goo:
-You can drive the car "semi permanent" after the fix. For weeks without loosing any pressure
-Takes less than 10 minutes to plug a tire
-No cleaning of the tire/rim needed afterwards
Old 05-03-2017, 11:14 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Traffic Court Story....

You need a lawyer. Period. I have had so many tickets, I can paper my house twice over..... lost a license once in a midwest state... on and on and on...... The ONLY time I decided to not use a lawyer and appeared in a Delaware court, they did nothing and I got the full points. Pay the system and you will be rewarded. Period.
Originally Posted by Para82
Is it possible to find lawyers who handle the small traffic stuff for under 500 bucks and who are good at getting points deferred?
Yes, you should use a lawyer. (Full disclosure, I am one, but not a traffic court lawyer -- even I use a lawyer - a different one - for traffic issues). The real reason you want a lawyer is because they know the system *and the cops, prosecutors and judges* better than you ever could (unless you also happen to practice there). So you want a local. You ALWAYS want a very local lawyer to the court you're appearing in. That may seem obvious, but it's not to some people. SMH.

We all have our stories... mine involves a group of us in Ferraris on the Garden State Parkway. The lawyer saved me from possible time. (It's a hilarious story BTW... too long to type ��)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 85 Posts

As previously posted I bought and have already received my Dynaplug Kit which now gives me a bit more peace of mind being that our cars do not have spares.

I would also like to suggest that you buy one if these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Outd...3D381756055491

I bought 4 of these multi-tools. One for each of our three cars and one that I permanently put in my check-in suitcase for when I travel. Surprisingly and despite their low price, the quality and construction is exceedingly good!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 PM
lonewolf9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a point in the manual where Porsche says to not use any other tire sealant other than the Porsche goo. Not sure why they would recommend that. Seems one is as good as another.

Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2021, 10:16 PM
Dragon997
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 62 Posts

Four years to the month after buying my Smitty plug kit I put it to use today. Red triangle warning came on while driving at 70 MPH indicating my right rear tire had lost 11psi from the 43 psi normal pressure. I was close to my destination and monitored the live pressure which was holding at 32 psi. After parking, I found I had picked up a nail in one of the tread grooves. Pulled out my portable inflator and it wouldn’t pump higher than the 32 psi. Only about six miles from home so I took the back roads keeping it under 40 mph while watching the pressure slowly drop to 24 by the time I arrived back in my garage. I removed the wheel, deflated the tire and went to work on putting in the repair plug. Took about 10 minutes then re-inflated to 43 psi. Wheel back on car and will check pressure in the morning to see if it held. Was close to needing a new set of rears anyway, so logged on to Costco.com to order the tires which should be in by the end of next week.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:30 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

"In California a plug is not legal, but I figure it's a good temporary fix."

A tire plug is legal in California, refer to Cal. Business and Professions Code 9889.30 which applies to "automotive repair dealer" and the repair or sale of an "unsafe used tire" that is worn or damaged beyond the criteria specified.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...owamends=false

Quick Reply: Flat Tire - Smitty Yay! - P-Pump Yay! - P-Goo bad