Sponsored by:

997.2 C4S Front Differential Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 997.2 C4S Front Differential Seal Replacement

Here is a DIY for the front diff seal replacement. I noticed a darker , moist, area on my front left under body cover last time I stored my car on the lift. Removing the panel it was apparent that the left front diff seal was starting to go when compared to the passenger side. (perhaps a high speed run may have sent it over the edge, and no point in waiting till there are drops sitting on the hood of my wife's Cayenne. I elected to not drop the differential as I decided to just repair the leaking side.

In hindsight, I think it would have been easier to undo the lower ball joint nut to free up tge wheel assemby rather than the main and diagonal control arms

remove front underbody cover
remove diagonal bracing arms 74 ft lbs
remove front tank covering straps 17 ft lbs
remove front tank cover
remove 6 allen head screws on axel shaft to differential coupler 29 ft lbs
loosen front Differential support Nuts 48 ft lb then remove the hex stud out of Differential and support.... diff won't fall , this gives you another half inch to help remove half shaft.

Now to free up wheel assembly and pull out the axel shaft coupler to give you room to take the half shaft out of the differential

Lower control arm from body
Front control arm from body
Tie rod
Main control arm position sensor
Rear vertical torsion bar connector, lower . Jack torsion bar up to give room so suspension sensor holder on control arm clears torsion bar

Pull pry wheel assembly w shaft out to give room to pull half shaft out
A quick pry will release half shaft from diff
Wiggle half shaft out
Reinstall front diff bolts to hold diff secure
Pry old seal out long pry bar and wood for leverage
Install new seal

Put everything back together

Diagonal cross support loosened, can be removed or swung forward by removing rear nut. Black tank cover strap above Diagonal support.

Allen socket in 1 of 6 allen screws holding axel shaft coupler to half shaft coupler. <br/>

Screws ready to be removed. I marked one screw ( black lines on axel coupler and then scribed a line on the black metal half shaft coupler) so I could reinstall at same alignment. Brown differential seal is evident on the right

Main Differential support stud with Hex socket on it to be removed

Main control arm pulled out from frame. control arm position sensor removed from bracket. Torsion bar vertical linkage removed from Torsion bar. ( torsion bar jacked up to give clearance for control arm sensor bracket (black piece on arm))

closer view

Front stabilizing arm pulled out

Tie rod removed

Half shaft removed from diff

new seal

prying out old seal

Half shaft. circ clip left on. Is at threaded end

Seal removed. note: Oil does not come out and unit is full. also note main diff studs have been put back in to stabilize diff for seal Removal and new seal placement

New seal 3/4 way in

Pounding Half shaft in. circ clip holds it in

Last edited by docdrs; 04-20-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Saved for later, thanks! Might come in handy

Quick Reply: 997.2 C4S Front Differential Seal Replacement