Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a new 991 Carrera this past weekend and......

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a new 991 Carrera this past weekend and......

....liked my 997.1 better.

I drove a new Turbo S six weeks ago and it was incredible, yet a little too "techy" feeling. You tend to overlook such things when the sheer brute force punches you between the eyes (I won't post the speed I took it to, but it was incredible how fast it got to it, even versus prior Turbo versions I've driven).

But a standard Carrera allows one to make a evolutionary comparison. It is comfortable and fast, but it nevertheless, to me, lacks that Porsche "feel". The 997 feels far more "tactile", more visceral, more virile. The 991 is a fantastic car, but I walked away feeling uninspired. It felt more GT like and flabby and less sporty. More Aston Martin/Mercedes Benz than Zuffenhausen.

Everyone's tastes differ, and everyone will have different opinions. I have driven pretty much all the 911's since the 2.7's from the 70's and they all felt true to the lineage. Some could perhaps claim the 996 was the "departure", but I felt it did well considering entering the water cooled era. The 997 was what the 996 should have been from the beginning and successfully synthesized the old and the new.

This was the first time I walked away and contemplated the idea of Stuttgart jumping the shark.

Quick Reply: Drove a new 991 Carrera this past weekend and......