Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do if you can't afford a GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

as long as it doesn't have the stickers on it then it's all good. I wouldn't even do the look to my car unless the car was fully prepped for track (cage, suspension, rear seats removed, etc). I'd want to make sure the car was prepared to walk the walk.. and not just talk the talk. But to each their own.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuanK20
Looks good. Some people will hate, some people will show love. I say as long as you dont badge your car as something it's not, then its not posing. Style your car however you want.

I had a silver/red theme on my C2 a while back:
Oh wow! That's gorgeous. Pretty much what I'm trying to do, too. I *really* don't want to badge it as anything other than a 911. You won't find a G, T, 3 or any other character that doesn't belong on it.

Can I ask where you got the parts from?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fined
as long as it doesn't have the stickers on it then it's all good. I wouldn't even do the look to my car unless the car was fully prepped for track (cage, suspension, rear seats removed, etc). I'd want to make sure the car was prepared to walk the walk.. and not just talk the talk. But to each their own.
I want to eventually get there. I can't afford to do it all at once is the problem. I do track it, so I want to make use of the performance benefits the parts provide.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by platinum997
Looks good. Any plans on doing the mirrors in red?
Yes. I'm just not sure the best way to go about it. Paint? Or does Porsche sell colored OEM replacements? The search continues...
Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Conan Dombroski
Yes. I'm just not sure the best way to go about it. Paint? Or does Porsche sell colored OEM replacements? The search continues...
I'm all about returning back to stock if needed. I would have them wrapped or buy a second set and have them painted.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

Oh wow! That's gorgeous. Pretty much what I'm trying to do, too. I *really* don't want to badge it as anything other than a 911. You won't find a G, T, 3 or any other character that doesn't belong on it.

Can I ask where you got the parts from?
Thanks! The front and rear bumper are OEM GT3. Suspension is H&R. Most my parts i got used. I basically just wait around for good deals on the classifieds or ebay.

My mirrors were wrapped btw. Good luck
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Thanks! The front and rear bumper are OEM GT3. Suspension is H&R. Most my parts i got used. I basically just wait around for good deals on the classifieds or ebay.

My mirrors were wrapped btw. Good luck
That OEM GT3 wing must have been crazy expensive. It's high quality carbon fiber + the Porsche tax, right?

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

That OEM GT3 wing must have been crazy expensive. It's high quality carbon fiber + the Porsche tax, right?

Thanks for the info.
The Wing isn't OEM. The bumpers are. The wing is a fiberglass replica. I'm not sure if an OEM RS decklid will fit because of the way the intake and fan is set up. And even if OEM did fit, there is no way i'm paying the amount that they sell for
Old 03-21-2017, 12:52 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I want to eventually get there. I can't afford to do it all at once is the problem. I do track it, so I want to make use of the performance benefits the parts provide.
What performance parts? The stripes?

I don't like this look even on a real GT3RS so not for me. It always has a poseur element I think even with out the badging. If I was going with colour I would add different striping etc
Old 03-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by vern1
What performance parts? The stripes?
No. I was referring to the front bumper, which adds significant downforce. Same with the rear wing. Then cage, seats, et. al. They all add performance benefits (cage adds frame stiffness, fyi).

Fair enough about the colors.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:05 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

No. I was referring to the front bumper, which adds significant downforce. Same with the rear wing. Then cage, seats, et. al. They all add performance benefits (cage adds frame stiffness, fyi)
But why? And what's you financial situation? If you're all set for retirement, then great If not, I'd slow down and think about what the future holds as I'd like to see you in a 911 when your working days are over.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I like the look. Keep up the good work at personalizing it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Conan Dombroski
Instructor

Originally Posted by dasams
But why? And what's you financial situation? If you're all set for retirement, then great If not, I'd slow down and think about what the future holds as I'd like to see you in a 911 when your working days are over.
How dare you try to use logic and good sense on me!

Why? Because I have one thing I love to do and that's track drive/race. And mod. I have a sickness.

I'm OK on retirement. Money flows into some accounts. I try to pretend like it's not there. Hopefully it will be when I'm ready to retire. I appreciate the concern.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

The Wing isn't OEM. The bumpers are. The wing is a fiberglass replica. I'm not sure if an OEM RS decklid will fit because of the way the intake and fan is set up. And even if OEM did fit, there is no way i'm paying the amount that they sell for
more info on the wing?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 132 Posts

Fake it till you make it? I'm not sure how this will go over here, but I decided to put some color on my 997 C2. This is what I've got so far. Wheels/tires were ~week ago, decals were yesterday. I plan on putting on a GT3 bumper next.
That looks nice just as it is! Not a fake at all... if it were mine I'd add an Aero Kit front and duck tail rear....

Very nice

Matt

Quick Reply: What do you do if you can't afford a GT3RS?