997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lithium battery in cold climate ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017 | 01:29 PM
JF22
Advanced

Default Lithium battery in cold climate ?

I need new battery and I'm looking to get Braille lithium my question is how long it will last in cold canadian wether ?
Old 03-13-2017 | 02:33 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I wonder if you will even be able to crank the engine once.....

Yves
Old 03-13-2017 | 02:49 PM
JF22
Advanced

Originally Posted by yvesvidal

Yves
that's what I thought , it's time to visit Interstate dealer and save myself $2k
Old 03-15-2017 | 08:40 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yvesvidal

Yves
Are they really that bad in the cold?

I read somewhere you can attempt to warm them up by discharging them first via headlights, radio, etc then try to crank the engine.
Old 03-16-2017 | 08:51 AM
wc11
Race Car

If your not driving in the winter, then it matters not except that $2k for a battery is crazy.
I opted for a run of the mill Eliminator from Canadian Tire.
Just over a $100, lots of current, national prorated warranty.

Keep in mind that specialty batteries mean specialty stores, specialty hours and specialty prices.
And that matters when you have a failure and need a replacement in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere.
Canadian Tire stores dot the country like coffee shops so never a worry.
Old 03-16-2017 | 10:08 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

I'll admit that I don't know much about lithium batteries used as an automotive power source and even if they are or are related to the lithium ion batteries of recent controversy.

So if they are closely associated and in light of their fame (787 aircraft, Samsung Note 7, headphone battery explosion on airplane that burned passengers face and head, etc.), why would you want something that's possibly volatile in your car when safer, proven and much less costly alternatives are readily available?

Sorry if I don't get it but just on cost alone it doesn't seem like a good idea. But hey, just as Pope Francis said... "Who am I to judge!"
Old 03-16-2017 | 10:46 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Braille lithium batteries are DOT approved and used in a multitude of racing sanctions and I have never heard or seen a battery thermally runaway like the hover boards, 787, Samsung, etc. I am not sure what the difference is compared to a Braille battery or if there is a circuit that controls the battery to not discharge too much or over charge or if they are chemically different. In small RC planes and cars they will catch fire generally if you start to fully discharge them. I completely discharged the Braille lithium bat I have and it was fine. I've never run it in the cold though.

I asked about cold weather and the following was the response I got:

"Our lithium batteries (not all) work just fine in the cold. They are not impacted by the cold like lead batteries. In fact, once they have a load put on them, they self-warm and give you the same power as on a warm summer day. Cold is very problematic with small lead batteries, which is why you need a big one that hopefully has enough juice to start the vehicle in freezing temps because you will see the cranking power drop in half in sub-freezing temps. Hope that helps."

Keep in mind how much OEM lightweight Porsche batteries cost when looking at the price and the weight savings.

Winter is almost over. May have to wait until next winter. How does heat affect them? That's what damages lead acid but leaves you dead in the winter.
Old 03-17-2017 | 04:29 PM
fazeShift
Track Day

In my experience, heat has no adverse effects on Lithium batteries. I've not used Braille, but I have used Ballistic and Shorai in extreme Texas summers at the track (note motorcycles, not cars in this case) and they started and operated more reliably and powerfully than any acid battery I've had.

Over time, heat CAN work to drain your battery. Alarms, loose wires, and other minor "not supposed to be running when turned off" things drain it faster.

The biggest negative I've seen with Lithium batteries is when they need a charge. Trickle chargers and maintainers don't work well on them and lessen their lifespans. You may end up investing in a good charger built for both types of batteries, or you have to be real confident in your charging while driving.

Hope that helps! This is something I'll throw into my 997, too, when I get down to it on the list. I'm on the hunt for a fun intake, header, exhaust combo, for now.

Quick Reply: Lithium battery in cold climate ?