Diego JP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-08-2017, 01:25 AM
Pcar416
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not recommend Topgear to anyone:

Purchased the X 200 cel pipes through the group buy, waited for about a week to ask for my tracking info. My emails went unanswered so i decided to call, after holding for a little while i was transferred to Alexander...I was told that I was going to be getting a returned merchandise from another Canadian customer. I wasn't thrilled with the fact that they released my information to someone without my prior consent and why was it being returned?

Took the car to the dealer to have the cats fitted...they were about 1 cm too short. Emailed Topgear explaining that the car was at the dealer on a hoist and needed a quick answer...NO reply. I finally called after a couple days and was told that it wouldn't fit with X51 headers. I quickly ordered their headers which arrived 2 days later, went back to the dealer...guess what...same fitment issue a 1 cm gap. I have been calling/emailing Topgear for a week without answer. After spending close to $800 in labour trying to fit this product and putting my old headers/cats back, i now have to go through Paypal to get my refund.
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I was going to going to order the non-X sport cats and headers, but after months of waiting I never caught it when they were both in stock, even long after receiving my discount code.

If I read this right, event their two products did not mate up correctly?

Can someone explain in few words how the shipping works. I've seen their estimated shipping steadily increase over the months. Currently at 75 lbS. Is there an additional surcharge with DHL on top of this?
Old 06-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Shipping was easy. If it stock, DHL had it over to me in about 3-4 business days. I paid some duty and fees to DHL before they delivered.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:12 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

That's faster than coast to coast in the US. So for $90 US Top Gear gets it to DHL as an import service and they handle it from there to the destination.
Anyone in the US have any example fees. "Some" doesn't sound like much.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:26 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I should have elaborated - I think my tab with DHL was about C$92. But that may be of limited use to you anyway - Top Gear told me that the US based recipients' experience is a bit different from Canadians. But whatevs...C$92 is like US$5 right now anyway LOL.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 AM
Pcar416
Advanced

correct. their headers and X pipes did not line up. i also believe i received Saboteur s cats as a return as his didn't fit as well.

QUOTE=BF951;14243537]I was going to going to order the non-X sport cats and headers, but after months of waiting I never caught it when they were both in stock, even long after receiving my discount code.

If I read this right, event their two products did not mate up correctly?

Can someone explain in few words how the shipping works. I've seen their estimated shipping steadily increase over the months. Currently at 75 lbS. Is there an additional surcharge with DHL on top of this?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 AM
oregondave
Banned

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

Update, had a cel for o2 sensor failure occur. Code has been cleared. What's the solution in this instance?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Great, this gives me an idea. Likely $150 - $200 US to ship cats and headers.

Ever notice how many Eastern countries can sell you something for $2 that includes international shipping, duties and US delivery all for less than I could ship it across town for. Regulations/trade agreements seem pretty wacky sometimes.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

My shipping to Georgia was only 45 Euro and no taxes.

Total cost of the cats, after the group buy discount was GBP 345, or $446.43 in early May of this year. That an all-in price, including shipping for the version with two separate pipes, similar to stock.

[And - just to keep everything in one post, I had no fitment issues with my 997.1 C2S, fitting to fabspeed headers and fister mufflers.
I do have lingering CELs, but I'm not sure what that is. My exhaust sounds a bit like there's still a leak, even though I paid a non-porsche indy to work on it. If not an exhaust leak, it could be bad O2 sensors or even that the cats are not doing their job, but I'm not in a huge hurry since I just passed emissions.]

Last edited by Jack667; 06-10-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcar416
correct. their headers and X pipes did not line up. i also believe i received Saboteur s cats as a return as his didn't fit as well.
Do the x-pipes have a slip joint on the passenger side? The NHP x-pipe has a slip joint to accommodate quite a bit of variation in header placement. I still had to use 2 gaskets on the drivers side and 3 on the passenger side to get a good seal and fit.

If you're at an exhaust shop...they could probably weld in a stainless flex joint on one or both sides, but it would eat up a lot of the group buy savings. sorry to hear and hope it works out.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Pcar416
Advanced

Thank you for the suggestion. are you saying that if i use 3 gaskets on each side it would line up?

I got so frustrated with TopGear lack of communication/customer service that i had them removed. I'm back to OEM setup and will probably be looking at getting AWE next year.

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
Do the x-pipes have a slip joint on the passenger side? The NHP x-pipe has a slip joint to accommodate quite a bit of variation in header placement. I still had to use 2 gaskets on the drivers side and 3 on the passenger side to get a good seal and fit.

If you're at an exhaust shop...they could probably weld in a stainless flex joint on one or both sides, but it would eat up a lot of the group buy savings. sorry to hear and hope it works out.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Oh I see...the NHP x pipe has slip joints on the header end. The Top Gear big bore x pipe has slip joints on the muffler end. I can see how the NHP would be more contortionist, if you will, than the Top Gear version.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:29 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion. are you saying that if i use 3 gaskets on each side it would line up?

I got so frustrated with TopGear lack of communication/customer service that i had them removed. I'm back to OEM setup and will probably be looking at getting AWE next year.
based on your pictures, probably not. looks like you have more than a small gap...appears to be an offset and gap problems.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 AM
BBurago
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
based on your pictures, probably not. looks like you have more than a small gap...appears to be an offset and gap problems.

Not to be rude, I need to respond to other questions too, but I have a better idea for the gap. When I installed mine I had a gap and was thinking of special ordering a steel flange same as the one Welded to the end of the pipe. Would have made the perfect spacer in addition to 2 gaskets per side. I ended up removing the center bracket temporarily to eliminate the gap. In turn, it caused my o2 sensor to sit very close to the engine holder bracket.

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY REDUX - 996/997.1 NA 200 cell x-pipe