CPO Warranty ending, Indy inspection to come

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:23 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default CPO Warranty ending, Indy inspection to come

Hi guys,

My CPO warranty on my 09 C2S is ending this May. I am about to schedule an appointment at my Indy this month and make sure everything is in great working order. The car has 24k miles and I myself have put about about 5500 miles since I first purchased it in May 2015. (Yes I know it's a shame I can't drive it more often, but I plan to keep this car for a very long time).

My question is what should my Indy be looking for as far as preventative measures, and maintenance? He told me he would put it up on the lift and make sure there are no leaks and what not. I told him about how the oil consumption is kind of high and i see dark smoke on initial start up (I'm running Mobil 1 0w-40) and he stated he would check the air oil separator. Also the Porsche dealership already did a test on the oil consumption about a year ago and they stated it's within spec.

The car already had the 40k major service done before I purchased it. If the Indy finds anything, I would notify the Porsche dealer I purchased from, and try to get the work done at dealership under CPO warranty. I'm not sure what else, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

Also would this be considered a PPI? Or does a PPI require the borescoping of the engine? I purchased this CPO C2S without the proper knowledge back then. After 2 years on this forum I somewhat have a better idea, and atleast know I should have gotten a PPI regardless of CPO warranty, but it is what it is.

Last edited by GT2RSobsessed; 03-08-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I was also surprised by the oil consumption of these engines, but I think that it can vary, and it's not weird to add oil after running the car hard, when you have been mostly making short trips.

Have a look at brake fluid, and also if the drains are clear of debris (front radiator area). I had the door pull snap last month (indy said they have a revised mechanism) I guess that would fall under the if it is not broke category. My indy also cleaned the throttle body, might be good if they are already in there?
Old 03-07-2017, 09:33 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

How much oil have you had to add OP?

I've put approx 12k miles on my car since I bought it in June 2015 and I've never had to add any, and the oil measurement on the instrument cluster just got 1 line lower from full before my second oil change (5k miles since the first).

Last edited by ATSR; 03-08-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have high oil consumption, I would get a bore scope. I had high consumption and the dealership replaced my AOS under CPO and did not resolve the issue. The finally bore scoped and found I had scoring. Look for threads with my name and you will see my experience.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:06 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

If I get a borescope, would the indy have to pull the engine? He originally told me this inspection would take about an hour on the lift. So I'm just wondering, but either way I'll spend the necessary time to make sure everything is up to par.

Gopirates I remember your thread, but I guess I never followed til the end. I had no clue you had a bore scored engine. How long was the downtime waiting for the engine to be replaced, weeks or month? And how is the new engine running? No more sooty tailpipes?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...umption-7.html
Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Just talked to my indy and he said it would take 2-3 hours to borescope the engine. I'm thinking I should follow up with the Porsche dealer/service department about how I'm still concerned about oil consumption and sooty tail pipes.

It seems like I will get some resistance from the service department though, since the last time they concluded oil consumption is is within spec.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

OP how much oil are you consuming?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure at the moment, but when the consumption test was done last year with the dealership and it was within spec of the owner's manual. I just spoke to the service department and they stated they can't do anything since the issue was "solved" last year. They did suggest for me to fill the oil to the top bar and do my own test. Take note of mileage and then take note of mileage again when low oil indicator comes on. But I don't think I would put enough miles on the car for the low oil indicator to come on. My CPO warranty is up in late May and it probably would be past that.

This weekend I just added about half a quart of oil to get to 1 bar above the minimum.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:50 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Just for reference, this was in the thread gopirates made, which I linked earlier. 1.6qt per 622 miles is within spec.

Name:  997_2_oil_consumption.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  82.6 KB
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
Just for reference, this was in the thread gopirates made, which I linked earlier. 1.6qt per 622 miles is within spec.

Attachment 1142783
Wow 1.6 quarts per 600 miles sounds crazy high to me!

Good luck OP. Please keep us posted.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

You're wasting your time to think you can go to the dealership with a punchlist of issues from your indy PPI and think they're going to do anything but laugh.

A warranty kicks in when something goes to FAILURE. Sounds like you'd be better off buying an extended warranty - more in line with the piece of mind you appear to require.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Rico
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

are you considering an aftermarket warranty like fidelity
once your cpo is done?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:48 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I also did a consumption test with my local dealership. I however had records of how much oil I had put in it from day one of my ownership. I did still have high consumption after my AOS was replaced. The dealership's next step was to bring it in for full diagnosis to include leak down, compression and bore scoping. Based on what they found with the borescope they found scoring in cylinder 1. Once I got approval from Germany, they had an engine sent to me within a week of that diagnosis.

Total turn around for me was about 3 weeks from when I took it in for the deep diag. Though this actual process started in May when I made initial contact with the dealership on the issues and got the car back with the new engine in the end of September.

With the new engine, it does actually run cooler than before for engine oil temp. I do still have sooty pipes which I believe is really because of the DFI engine. However after 1500 miles, I have not had to add ANY oil. Where before I was adding a quart every 400-500 miles. It also runs quieter now which is making me want to do some exhaust mods.

The other nice thing for me was I got to skip doing major maintenance this year and new plugs due to all of the work with the new engine. With exception to stuff like brake flush and new air filters and next year I reset with a minor maintenance.

I would definitely get a borescope knowing what I know now if I was in this position again. I would also get a borescope on the next purchase I make for a used P-car as well.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike cap
You're wasting your time to think you can go to the dealership with a punchlist of issues from your indy PPI and think they're going to do anything but laugh.

A warranty kicks in when something goes to FAILURE. Sounds like you'd be better off buying an extended warranty - more in line with the piece of mind you appear to require.
Good point. And that may give me peace of mind. The engine oil consumption does seem high, but maybe all this paranoia is caused by the WebMD effect of this forum? I start reading about symptoms/problems other people have with their cars, and now I think I may have the same problem as them and self diagnose hahah.

Originally Posted by Rico
are you considering an aftermarket warranty like fidelity
once your cpo is done?
No, I never really considered it until this point.

Originally Posted by gopirates
I also did a consumption test with my local dealership. I however had records of how much oil I had put in it from day one of my ownership. I did still have high consumption after my AOS was replaced. The dealership's next step was to bring it in for full diagnosis to include leak down, compression and bore scoping. Based on what they found with the borescope they found scoring in cylinder 1. Once I got approval from Germany, they had an engine sent to me within a week of that diagnosis.

Total turn around for me was about 3 weeks from when I took it in for the deep diag. Though this actual process started in May when I made initial contact with the dealership on the issues and got the car back with the new engine in the end of September.

With the new engine, it does actually run cooler than before for engine oil temp. I do still have sooty pipes which I believe is really because of the DFI engine. However after 1500 miles, I have not had to add ANY oil. Where before I was adding a quart every 400-500 miles. It also runs quieter now which is making me want to do some exhaust mods.

The other nice thing for me was I got to skip doing major maintenance this year and new plugs due to all of the work with the new engine. With exception to stuff like brake flush and new air filters and next year I reset with a minor maintenance.

I would definitely get a borescope knowing what I know now if I was in this position again. I would also get a borescope on the next purchase I make for a used P-car as well.
So after the oil consumption test, the dealer concluded your car was not within spec and proceeded with further testing. My dealer concluded within spec. As far as oil temp goes, I usually have to run it close to 10-15 minutes before it reaches 175, depending how cold it is here. So no oil temp concerns. The car was also quiet from the start until I added Fister + Sharkwerks.

Mike Cap seems to have a good point. Let's say I went extreme and paid the Indy 3 hours of labor for inspection including borescoping of the engine and found bore scoring. Would the dealer actually do anything since technically nothing failed?

The service dept manager at dealer already told me it's probably not the AOS failing. He stated if it was there would have been a strong vacuum suction at the time I was trying to add more oil right after this weekend's aggressive run, and I would have not been able to even open the cap. I noticed there was some resistance, but I got the cap open after applying a little more effort than usual.

Quick Reply: CPO Warranty ending, Indy inspection to come