Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine dies when turning off Bluetooth in PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:55 AM
hotcalsun
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Engine dies when turning off Bluetooth in PCM

Curious if anyone has encountered this before. Today, I was turning off the bluetooth in the PCM phone setting screen and when I touched the turn off button, it killed the engine and lit up the dashboard like a Christmas tree. Switching the ignition to off and then back on and the car started up cleanly.

Has anyone else had this happen or aware of any PCM / ECU firmware upgrades that address such an issue? Fortunately, my 2011 911 Carrera S is still under CPO, but seems like a major safety issue that would have been addressed. I have turned Bluetooth off and on many times without this occurring before.

Unfortunately, I was moving and turning into a Starbucks, but fortunate that I could still negotiate the corner. I know that minimally I won't be changing the setting while the car is moving from now on.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry I can't help with this but am very interested in the root cause. I design Infotainment systems and would for sure never want this to happen!

Although it should never happen, my guess is a CAN message gets corrupted when the PCM tries to send the off command to the Bluetooth module and something snowballs from there.

can you repeat the issue?
Old 03-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I once had a short in my wiring harness on an 04 996tt cab. I tried to turn the car off and pulled the key out and it kept running. Then I turned the lights off and it and the engine turned off. The light switch controlled the engine, but I also started to get some random lights at the same time. A squirrel or something got into the back of my car and chewed the wiring harness. Warranty would not cover obviously, but homeowners insurance did.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM
hotcalsun
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Type_LT
Sorry I can't help with this but am very interested in the root cause. I design Infotainment systems and would for sure never want this to happen!

Although it should never happen, my guess is a CAN message gets corrupted when the PCM tries to send the off command to the Bluetooth module and something snowballs from there.

can you repeat the issue?
Thank you for both of the comments. I'll update this with the dealership findings. Another possibility is a small lip in the driveway when entering the Starbucks cause a loose power or wire harness to stall it. Still, after restarting I do go through a small bumps and rough sections of the road on the way to work where it did not stop or turn off.

I have not tried to make it re-occur yet, but will do so tonight once I wrap up the day.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:35 PM
hotcalsun
Cruisin'

A quick update on this thread. The dealership, after collaborating with Porsche NA is replacing the crankshaft sensor. While they won't point to the switching off of the Bluetooth as a trigger for the malfunction, the sensor had thrown a couple of codes in the last 30 engine hours (although not one that correlates with the incident), the explained that they have seen abnormal behaviors when the crankshaft sensor is malfunctioning. Should have the 997.2 back on Monday!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of bluetooth interference totally scrambling BMW systems, never Porsche but I guess it's possible. Apparently in the BMWs there are sensors that communicate wirelessly, and there were some rare cases when bluetooth first came out where it scrambled the sensors and made the car go haywire. If I remember correctly it was discoverable mode that did it. Not sure why/how or what the fix was.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotcalsun
A quick update on this thread. The dealership, after collaborating with Porsche NA is replacing the crankshaft sensor. While they won't point to the switching off of the Bluetooth as a trigger for the malfunction, the sensor had thrown a couple of codes in the last 30 engine hours (although not one that correlates with the incident), the explained that they have seen abnormal behaviors when the crankshaft sensor is malfunctioning. Should have the 997.2 back on Monday!
not sure if they will tell you, but I'd be interested in knowing if the sensor used can-bus or LIN for communications. Chances are it's a simple Hall effect sensor but if it was CAN or LIN it could potentially corrupt the bus.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM
hotcalsun
Cruisin'

not sure if they will tell you, but I'd be interested in knowing if the sensor used can-bus or LIN for communications. Chances are it's a simple Hall effect sensor but if it was CAN or LIN it could potentially corrupt the bus.
I will ask when I pick up the car today. They are also upgrading my PCM firmware as there is a more recent version out.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:58 PM
hotcalsun
Cruisin'

Unfortunately, was unable to get any further detail.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:42 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the latest PCM firmware version for 997.2? Does your car has navigation?

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine dies when turning off Bluetooth in PCM