Sponsored by:

Re-sealing a valve cover, 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re-sealing a valve cover, 997.1

I thought I would fill everyone in on the process of resealing a valve cover on a 997.1. I have had a leak from the driver's side valve cover for the three years that I have owned the car and decided to finally fix the leak this winter along with a few other nagging problems.

With the 997, there is no way to remove the valve cover without first dropping the engine:

A closer look revealed that the oil leak was actually from the #2 cylinder spark plug tube:

If you look closely at the second picture, you will see that there is oil deep within the spark plug tube. There are actually two seals on the tube, one directly underneath the valve cover that only requires removal of the cover itself, and an o-ring below the lifter housing that requires removal of the cams and housing itself. My leak was stemming from the latter, which meant the cams had to come off. Digging in a bit deeper, I actually found that the o-ring on cylinder #2 was missing, I guess this explains my leak! It did not look as if things had been disassembled before, perhaps this was missed at the factory? Maybe some of the engine builders can comment?

Cams removed, cylinder #1 o-ring is in place, cylinder #3 o-ring is stuck to the bottom of the cam carrier, cylinder #2 o-ring is nowhere to be found!

New o-rings installed, starting to go back together!

Cams re-installed, mating surfaces cleaned up, new seals at the outer end of the spark plug tubes (green), and cam timing set.

Engine buttoned back up and ready to go back in the car.

And she's alive again!

Hopefully this helps some other poor soul that is thinking about fixing a valve cover leak. The good news, I replaced shifter cables, engine mounts, water pump, overflow tank, and spark plugs "while I was in there" without much trouble at all. There is a lot more room without the engine and transmission in the way!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:32 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, I did not know that. We were able to remove the cam cover on my 996 without engine removal. The 997 must have a different configuration?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:39 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Wow, I did not know that. We were able to remove the cam cover on my 996 without engine removal. The 997 must have a different configuration?
Yes, the configuration must be different. I read a few places that you could do this in the car on a 996, but the factory service manual for the 997 starts with engine removal. I looked at it from a bunch of different angles and I don't see how it would be possible with the engine in the car.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the factory book says the same thing for the 996.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
I believe the factory book says the same thing for the 996.
I really don't think it's possible on the 997. Next time you are under your car, take a look at the clearance between the scavenge pump and frame on the drivers side, there is no way to remove the bolts that hold the scavenge pump to the valve cover which is one of the first steps.

FWIW, I got a quote from a dealer and an independent shop and both factored in engine removal to re-seal the valve cover. DB's997 also got two quotes for his valve cover leak and both shops factored in engine removal:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...er-gasket.html

I have also attached a snapshot of the service manual discussing preliminary work for valve cover removal.
Attached Images  

Last edited by idlook2; 03-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:47 PM
German888
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Great pics and write up. No way for it to have come out so likely missed upon original assembly unless it was opened up prior to your ownership. Top end looks nice and clean also. How many miles on the car?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 PM
idlook2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by German888
Wow! Great pics and write up. No way for it to have come out so likely missed upon original assembly unless it was opened up prior to your ownership. Top end looks nice and clean also. How many miles on the car?
Thanks! Just under 60k miles. Took this picture on Sunday on my inaugural drive after putting everything back together, temps are looking good and no warning lights!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Re-sealing a valve cover, 997.1