Will I regret not going "S"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:08 PM
JWYR
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffm
Zero regrets.

When do you stop the comparisons? Why not say, do you regret not getting the C4S vs the S. Oh, for a little bit more, do you regret not getting the turbo?

To me, this is more "keeping up with the Jonses"....and I could give a flip about that. I bought my 911 because I wanted a 911. This is my 4th p-car and won't be my last. Next on my list is to go back to a mid-engine platform 981/718. At the end of the day, it's a question of what need will the car fulfill. I wanted a fun car where I could row the gears manually. I have a company car that I'm required to drive while traveling, so it's only a pleasure car for weekend drives and a few overnight trips. As for the cost difference, it's more than a few thousand. A comparable S model to mine (with 38k miles) was at least $8,000 more. Not to mention, the condition was immaculate and that's what sealed the deal for me.
I have to admit, I went through this. I started looking at a nice base 997.1. I then found a 997.S that was more. At that point, I started looking at a 997.2 base. It seems like once you justify a 911, it is a slippery slope to a more expensive car. OP, buy what puts a smile on your face and something that you truly enjoy. If you think that you need an "S" for that, then you do.

The car I ended up with was a super clean 997.1 Base with all the features I wanted. I wanted a coupe because I was selling my Boxster S. I wanted full leather because it just looks and smells great! I wanted a manual and Sport chrono. I like pressing the button and having different throttle feeling. I found a base model that had all the features I wanted and right color too. I jumped at it. I know it is not an S, and I am okay with that. So what did I give up. Some low in torque/HP. PASM, and bigger brakes. For me, coilovers and a big brake kit, would put me above a S model for braking and handling. I have not spent a dime on any "upgrades" because I am spending money to become a better driver. I took a AX class with my local PCA chapter. I will participate in as my of my local PCA AX events as I can this year. With my Boxster S, I did DE events with instructors. The most important upgrade to a faster car is your ability.

There is no right or wrong choice. Buy it, drive it.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

The only reason to get an S is for the brakes. You only need the bigger ones if you are going to go to the track.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes
Old 03-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,424 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by thatg
Getting what i want could be the difference of $8k for a red leather S coupe vs. a black leather S cab. The more I ask myself if its worth the extra money the less I'm coming up with yes.
That's a fair point. Everyone has a limit. I suppose the answer then is that you should buy the closest thing to exactly what you want, within your personal limits.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

3.6 here for reliability, search the threads most issues reported like bore scoring and ims are from 3.8s
Old 03-05-2017, 05:02 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well ask yourself this question:" I am going to buy a 911S. Will I regret not getting a Turbo?"

And also this: I am getting a 911 Turbo. will I regret not getting an S?

Also : Am getting a 911 Turbo S . Will I regret not getting a 4S?

Might as well ask: Am getting a 911 Turbo 4S. Will I regret nit getting a GT3?

See where I'm going?

Be aware that aside from the track, you will not, repeat not, be able to wring the max power out of your car. Nowhere, certainly not on public roads. You will like most enjoy the combination of light weight, power, torque, handling and the precision and build quality of the machine. Hopefully you'll be grinning even when grocery shopping. I do.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend,

NOTHING is more bad *** than a wide-body on a Porsche as opposed to a narrow body... I don't care what anyone on this forum says... ESPECIALLY on a convertible, and you will have AWD to boot.

I don't know where you live, but my C4 with snow tires is actually better in the snow than my BMW X5 with all season tires! (This is more of a comment on dedicated summer/winter tires vs all-season tires, but if your P-car can perform in the snow/rain/poor weather, all the better, no)?!

You could get a set of used factory Porsche wheels on eBay for little cash, and go buy yourself a set of Pirelli SotoZeros (or equivalent) and double the mileage out of your tires (because you'll be using summers for 1/2 the year and winters for the other 1/2).

If you live in a warm climate, then who cares about the winter tires, and the C4 will out handle the C2S anyway... unless you're the Stig and even he said the AWD version goes around a track faster.

If C2S owners could have a wide body C2S, they would all crawl over it like a cheap suit in August (and all of you C2S owners know you would, lol)!

The speed limit is still 55 (or 65 depending on location)...

That little extra oomph from a less reliable motor [bore scoring] doesn't compare to seeing that wide body in your rear view mirror... or when your friends (or females if you're not married) see it parked. Which is why we buy nice cars to begin with... no?

And as for sound, for $200-$300 bucks, Fister D or Hanksville Hotrods will give you that sound... I'm sure that everyone on this forum will definitely agree with at least the exhaust sound mod.

Last edited by 82_930; 03-05-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was in your shoes not so long ago

I'm in SoCal too, and was looking at 09 and above, both Cabs and Coups. I ended up getting one of each. The wife drives the Cab, and I'm in the Coup. The decision of a Cab or Coup are clearly personal preference. It's fun driving with the top down on the coast each and every weekend. For me ,I like the lines of the coop and the rigidity. I intend to track my car once I get it set up properly.
I do not regret getting a base one single bit. I drove many S cars, and don't get me wrong with the extra horsepower is nice. However, base models are plenty fast and powerful. My decisions were based on price, mileage, history and the options on vehicles. You can't go wrong with either.
Plan on spending 5K more for an S. Also I noticed a car you're looking is a manual transmission you should drive a PDK. Until I drove the PDK I was a 100% stick I guy. The DDK transmission is bulletproof and unbelievably fast shifting. It's also much nicer as a DD.

Good Luck, Don
SoCal, OC
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will regret it today, tomorrow and for the rest of your life.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:19 AM
Maverick1983
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Word!

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
"Car is not exactly what I'm looking for" - you already answered - If your spending that kind of $ , get EXACTLY what you want - your perfect car is out there, promise - don't settle
Best advice possible!
(My story: Been looking for close to 2 years for the perfect 911. May just have hit upon it. Waiting for the owner to make up his mind about my offer. )

I'd recommend going for the S. With Porsche, incremental additions have a way of being more than the sum of parts.
Also, I've driven the 991.2 base and S, and can certainly feel a difference in performance.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM
996C2S
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When it comes to resale the S will be more desirable. And yes your going to feel an overall performance difference.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:54 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ogun228
Well ask yourself this question:" I am going to buy a 911S. Will I regret not getting a Turbo?"

And also this: I am getting a 911 Turbo. will I regret not getting an S?

Also : Am getting a 911 Turbo S . Will I regret not getting a 4S?

Might as well ask: Am getting a 911 Turbo 4S. Will I regret nit getting a GT3?

See where I'm going?

Be aware that aside from the track, you will not, repeat not, be able to wring the max power out of your car. Nowhere, certainly not on public roads. You will like most enjoy the combination of light weight, power, torque, handling and the precision and build quality of the machine. Hopefully you'll be grinning even when grocery shopping. I do.
I've gone through a similar thought process and always ended up with what I wanted (within reason). BTW, there is no 911 Turbo 4S so he can take that out of his decision process. All turbos, whether S or not, are AWD.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If your someone that likes to mod at all to make things a bit better then stock then yes NO doubt will regret not getting the S. If you plan to keep the car 100% stock and that is the owner you are then base less an issue. Base is an awesome car no doubt...

I had a base 997 and modded heavily.....now have an S and same, modded it with parts etc...
Old 03-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by thatg
Getting what i want could be the difference of $8k for a red leather S coupe vs. a black leather S cab.
If you want and 911 S coupe then buy that, not something else. A 911 is not a "needs" based purchase. So if you're spending the money based on wants (and we all have).. then buy what you actually want. Not something that is more sensible. Sensible is a Toyota Camry.. but you aren't shopping for one of those.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
"Car is not exactly what I'm looking for" - you already answered - If your spending that kind of $ , get EXACTLY what you want - your perfect car is out there, promise - don't settle
+997

Find the unicorn, it's out there. I did. Twice now.

Quick Reply: Will I regret not going "S"?