Sponsored by:

Recommended oil for low temp thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Koenbro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended oil for low temp thermostat

I know the question of recommended oil has been amply debated elsewhere, and I stick to Porsche's recommendation of Mobil 1 but change it every 5,000 miles, yet there is a twist.

The car is a stock 2007 C4s w/Tip, and is my daily driver in Arizona. Work commute is 8 mi one-way in mixed traffic: freeway (against traffic, so can rev it up) and surface roads. No track use, although I did 1-2 days/year of local PCA HPDE and AX earlier, but not anymore. Like a few longer (300-500 mi) road trips.

Just took it in for its 60,000 service and did a pre-emptive replacement of the water pump and replaced the thermostat with a low-temp TS from Pelican. I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of using the low-temp TS, but I am stuck for now with it. The car takes longer to warm up (which, I understand is the sole benefit of the 160F TS) and runs a little cooler ~190F once warmed.

I wonder if I need to change the oil viscosity to account for this. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:42 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Don't mess with the oil weight. Your 0w-40 is what porsche recommends for a wide range of temps.

Using a heavier weight will cause higher engine loads and eventually shorten engine life. Using a lighter weight will result in excessive mechanical wear and reduced engine life.

If your engine has tolerance issues from age with piston rings, valve seats, etc.. you can sometimes increase the weight so you don't have as much blow by... other than that. I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:27 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the Joe Gibbs DT40 oil. Use the recommended viscosity.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 AM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I just had my oil changed February 1st at the Rockville Porsche Dealership. They used Pennzoil ultra 5W40 synthetic, with Z-max. I'm not writing this to promote what they did, but to say there might be a little wiggle room on what can be used.

It was 248 bucks (since folks usually want to know) for the above oil change, Crystal Fusion Windshield treatment, and the multipoint inspection. If I only wanted an oil change with no Z-max or window treatment, the price was just under 200 bucks. After I've had the car a while, I'll let folks know how well the window treatment worked out. As far as the z-max - well I hadn't heard about it when I went in for the oil change. Since Wednesday, I've been researching it and have found a wide range of opinions.

I can do an oil change on my own, but I like the inspection they do. They did find some things on the car that needed attention. Lucky for me, most of what they found I can attend to myself. (front pads were down to 3mm, and new wiper blades were recommended)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

I am not familiar with Crystal Fusion and would be very interested in hearing a 30 day review of the Crystal Fusion.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Koenbro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second the request for Crystal Fusion experience. My dealer also used Pennzoil 5W40.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:19 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Sometimes dealers will use what they can get locally, cheaper and in bulk, even if it's not the manufacturer's name brand oil that they're promoting at the parts counter.

An example is the Pennzoil above even though Porsche preaches Mobil 1. I know of a Honda dealer that wants you to buy their "Honda" brand motor oil (seriously?) at the parts counter but back in the service bay they were using Chevron brand motor oil in everyone's cars because they could get it down the street in bulk.

I'm sure the Pennzoil Ultra is fine oil - just another reason, though, that I always change my own oil.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:46 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In Arizona you probably don't need 0w40 weight - lots of oil choices....

5w40 would be good - Motul etc etc.... any Porsche A40 oil....

Quick Reply: Recommended oil for low temp thermostat