Sponsored by:

"Check Raised Brake Light" Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Check Raised Brake Light" Error Code

Hi all, just wondering if any of you have any experience with this error code?

The raised brake light is confirmed to be working (light comes on), but I have this error code that comes and goes (stays on more often than not). Since the car is long out of warranty, I don't want to go to a P-dealer where they will spend hours trying to diagnose the problem, so if any of you have any ideas of what it may be, my ears are open!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No experience with this code, but given the moving part that is the spoiler... Does the brake light work with the spoiler both raised and lowered? I'm wondering if there's a bad wire in the spoiler harness.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:20 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
No experience with this code, but given the moving part that is the spoiler... Does the brake light work with the spoiler both raised and lowered? I'm wondering if there's a bad wire in the spoiler harness.

Yessir - strange thing is, the warning light goes away when the spoiler is raised!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:49 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
Aren't there two 3rd brake lights? The one in the spoiler works only when the spoiler is in the up position. When spoiler is lowered then the other 3rd brake light should illuminate - not two at the same time when spoiler is down.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Aren't there two 3rd brake lights? The one in the spoiler works only when the spoiler is in the up position. When spoiler is lowered then the other 3rd brake light should illuminate - not two at the same time when spoiler is down.
Roger
Old 01-31-2017, 04:28 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did a Turbo Wing upgrade and did some learnin'. One of the problems with the Third Brake Light wiring harness is that over time is can become brittle and break due to heat, bending and age. I saw a couple of pics on the web where it internally sheers around the anti water grommets. The fact that it goes away while deployed says, its ok in a certain position and not while folded. My stock harness did the same thing after I installed the tt wing.....spit out a message before I could leave the driveway, it knew!!!!!!

A cheepo check would to be splice in some appropriate gauge wiring from the fan and tie into the raised third brake light.

The simple fix is to order a new cable for around $130. It connects to the right side by the deck hinge (kind of a Beyotch to get out. You need a stubby screw driver to press in the retention clip while using your left hand and maneuvering around some other hydraulic/AC hose), then connects to the fan, engine light and finally the raised third brake light.

The hardest part of the install is routing the cable up to the light as its a nail breaker (I have female college interns do my dirty work.)

Do some Columbo on how to remove the third brake light on the internet. Not easy, not hard...but with a vid or two, not worth a trip to the dealer.

BTW, my first 911 was a Chiffon White (Cream) 911SC. Her name was Maggie. I miss Maggie.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:52 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 776 Posts

Reviving this old thread since it perfectly describes the problem I'm having on my 2010 997.2 C4S PDK with 156K miles.

Does anyone know the resolution here, or have any information that might help?

Quick Reply: "Check Raised Brake Light" Error Code