Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else disappointed or underwhelmed by TPC DSC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
1) Does this accelerometer installation look correct (pic below)? It's wedged in there super snug below the HVAC duct and is mounted onto a black something-or-other below it with some sort of Velcro-like tape. The wires point toward the front of the car and are all connected appropriately with the wires on the other end of the connector: red-white-yellow-black all correspond and the connection of the plug itself feels tight.
From what I can it looks correct. The side with the wires pointing toward the front of the car. The tan color connector is plugged in properly. Yes, the plastic duct above does fit snug against the accelerometer, I kind of like the snug fit, it makes the accelerometer like its bolted down.

2) How low is too low, and how would I diagnose that?
With OEM size tires, I lowest I'd go is 25.9" front and 26.7" rear, measuring from ground to apex of fender openings. While you have the tan color connector exposed you can unplug it to test the power and ground wire.

3) Would the connections on the Damptronics be something that I could visually inspect? That is, if I pull the wheels and jack it up in my garage, would a connection issue be blatant to the untrained eye? Would it be something that I could easily unplug, wipe clean, and wiggle or screw back on to make sure it was seated properly? Or is there some special tool or mechanical gizmo that only a specialty shop could identify/repair? Would this be the best place to start my search (beyond the pic of the accelerometer below)? I'd prefer not pull apart the console and drag out my laptop unless absolutely necessary.
I think the shock connectors is best checked by a professional who's is familiar with Damptronic coilovers. The Damptronic have an extra connector on the front because it uses front extension cables. Unless you are very mechanical savvy. No special tools are needed. Just common sense and experience. Being that there can be multiple things going on here, I'd start by process of elimination like I said in my previous post- drive the car with and without stock PASM module plugged in to feel the difference before doing anything DSC/accelerometer related. You should be able to feel a difference between stock PASM Normal and Sport mode. If both stock PASM modes feel the same as without PASM module plugged in then there's an problem that's not DSC related.

4) If it's an internal shock issue, how do I diagnose that? I assume that wouldn't be visible to the naked eye (either mine or my shop's), right?
Either use a PWIS to scan the stock PASM module, or use the I-Command function of the DSC module as described in page 15 of the DSC user manual.
www.dscsport.com > downloads > user manual

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 01-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 516 Posts

5) Is the assumption that the DSC is less noticeable with Damptronics than OEM shocks b/c of their stiffer baseline a correct one?
When DSC(and accelerometer) is working properly it is very noticeable with stock shocks and with Damptronics. Unless the ride height is set too low that's its riding on and bouncing off the bump rubbers.

6) Is the presence of the light coming on and off when I press the Sport button any indicator that the DSC and accelerometer are installed/wiried appropriately? I recall it not coming on at all when I installed the DSC prior to the accelerometer so I assume(d) the light coming on may have implied that the wiring was correct. I.e., might the light come on even if the accelerometer was installed or wired incorrectly?
No, this only indicates that that the mode switching circuit is working. The LED should come on even without the accelerometer installed because it is a separate circuit.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:59 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Tom, have you guys updated the annoying blinking light yet so the PASM light behaves differently?
Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 AM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Tom, have you guys updated the annoying blinking light yet so the PASM light behaves differently?
As of October 2015, all Porsche DSC controllers come with two modes and display Normal or Sport on the dash, just as the factory unit does. The LED is simply on or off.

~Jordan

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed or underwhelmed by TPC DSC?