Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New semi-solid motor mount install - seized nuts on old mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017 | 09:34 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Default New semi-solid motor mount install - seized nuts on old mounts

Have a look at the anti-seize arsenal I used when trying to break the nuts loose on the rusted stock motor mounts. PB blaster, MAP-propane torch heat, cordless impact wrench, a breaker bar, an ultra-long breaker bar....I tried them all. Which do you think worked? The make-shift ultra long breaker bar! Made it by inserting the 18 inch breaker bar into the pipe from a four-foot woodworking clamp. It was my last attempt before throwing in the towel or acquiring an oxy-acetylene torch kit. The pipe must have deflected a foot or so when I torqued on the end of it. Made a distinct crack when the nuts finally broke loose. What a feeling. Victory!! I'm a neophyte wrench so this was a confidence-builder.

Oh, BTW...as you know, the Rennline mounts sure are purrrrdy! Too bad they are out of site. I have not yet test driven the car so I have no basis for comment on their impact on performance.
Attached Images    
Old 01-23-2017 | 12:26 PM
mreloc
Pro

Cool! Let us know how the Rennlines with yellow inserts work out for you. That's what I'm considering to throw at improving my manual shift performance. And, YES, they are pretty
Old 01-24-2017 | 08:06 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by mreloc
Cool! Let us know how the Rennlines with yellow inserts work out for you. That's what I'm considering to throw at improving my manual shift performance. And, YES, they are pretty

Finally took the car for a short drive today. While I didn't really push it hard, what I noticed the most (mounts with the yellow inserts) was the minimal increase in NVH, thank goodness. What really made a big difference in shifting though was the manual transmission lube change I did last week (with the expensive stuff). Seems to have all but eliminated the ubiquitous first gear issue and shifting is smoother overall.

The issue that remains is the pronounced increase in NVH I'm having between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM as a result of the FF orange transmission mount bushing inserts I installed last month. On the advice from FF and others I intend to drive the car a few hundred more miles with them in hopes that the matter will sort itself.
Old 01-24-2017 | 09:53 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Batman33
The issue that remains is the pronounced increase in NVH I'm having between 2,000 and 3,000 RPM as a result of the FF orange transmission mount bushing inserts I installed last month. On the advice from FF and others I intend to drive the car a few hundred more miles with them in hopes that the matter will sort itself.
I had the same issue with the FF orange inserts....it doesn't go away BTW. I yanked them out only to find that the new stock pads the dealer gave me were for a Tip and not 6MT. So there I was with the FF removed and nothing to put in....so I ground off the orange bits that inserted into the trans mount and made my own pads.....no NVH.

I think they are way overrated....my shifts are perfect as I put a Numeric Shifter and cables in at the same time and the shift quality didn't change one iota after the FF removal....I'm sure the PTX helped as well.
Old 01-24-2017 | 10:22 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
I had the same issue with the FF orange inserts....it doesn't go away BTW. I yanked them out only to find that the new stock pads the dealer gave me were for a Tip and not 6MT. So there I was with the FF removed and nothing to put in....so I ground off the orange bits that inserted into the trans mount and made my own pads.....no NVH.

I think they are way overrated....my shifts are perfect as I put a Numeric Shifter and cables in at the same time and the shift quality didn't change one iota after the FF removal....I'm sure the PTX helped as well.

Thanks for the info, SoCal. I recall reading that suggestion in another thread...it was probably yours (the suggestion). When I first read it I made a point to dig out my rotary tool in anticipation of making the same modification you made to FF inserts. (My dog eat the old pads...LOL.)

Quick Reply: New semi-solid motor mount install - seized nuts on old mounts