Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Cars…

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:52 PM
JackZ R
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get to drive a lot of cars. Everything a rental company could have including high end stuff. The last 7-8 years quality of everything has gone up. Still some dogs though....fiats, some hyundais are reliable but have annoying traits. There is no difference between vehicles as something can go wrong with any of them sometimes. Look at the recalls....every carmaker, same stuff.

My daily driver 2014 grand Cherokee gets beat to death (65,000+ miles) and not even a hiccup. Wife's Toyota same thing.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:52 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by caymannyc
I grew up in Nagoya Japan (where my dad was sent by, you guessed it, a US automaker to learn how to build cars properly, get the irony on that) and in the Detroit area where, you guessed it, he has spent the last 30+ years of his life engineering and building cars. Thanks to my dad's influence, I also happen to cover the auto industry and have worked closely with US, German, Japanese, Korean and Indian car companies on various projects.

First off, the ones saying "Toyotas are "American" just because certain manufacturing or assembly plants happen to be in the US solely for tax reasons, are simply wrong. The design, management and engineering all happens in Japan, by Japanese engineers and workers. Certain cheap parts may be sourced from common-US suppliers, but any dummy can read the annual Audit Report for Toyota (sec.gov, TM) and get a list of suppliers for Toyota. Guess what? Most of its suppliers are...affiliated (read, Toyota controlled) companies. Even the Japanese factories located in the USA are managed by Japanese managers and quality control personnel. These are very much Japanese cars.

Now, what I'm about to say has nothing to do with the quality of American cars. In fact I know the quality is good and American companies are capable of making some good vehicles (but continue to make absolute stinkers). What I'm about to say has to do with my emotional decision on why I will never buy an American car.

Say all you want about the big bad anti-American brigade - the fact remains it was this very same "America is ARE country" Big-3 that shoved overpriced crappy cars down our throats for 20 years while spouting all sorts of racist propaganda against Japanese and Asian automakers (while deploying people like my dad to learn how to build cars from them and hiring as many Japanese engineers as they could get their hands on). This hypocrisy where they were shoveling crap into dealer's lots and expecting Americans to pay above and beyond what Honda was charging lasted for decades and you were punished with scorn, ridiculue and sometimes being told you were un-American for refusing to buy one of their cars (I'm an honorably discharged Army veteran, no less). What kind of utter garbage is that.

Also, the glee with which the US automakers reacted everytime a Japanese maker had to do a recall (or even during the Toyota break failure issue, which incidentally, has happened many many many MANY more times for the US car makers yet never received so much publicity) was also over the top, especially in light of the bailout for the US auto industry.

The following ad pretty much sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSHc9yDZT4

It's insulting that a multi-national has to appeal to nationalism to sell their products. And it's even more idiotic that these same Big-3 are currently making a big push to sell their products in countries like Japan, Korea and China, the very same countries from which they were clamoring for trade embargoes and tariffs.
Wow.. wrong completely... sorry. Coming from someone in the industry.
Btw Toyota Camry is 100 percent engineered in the USA. I would know that personally and I'm very sure my former colleague friends boss is not Japanese

Anyways just my .02 cents

Also Toyota and gm shared a plant in the USA called numi in California...produce same cars for years aka vibe and matrix etc

So many fake rumors about the big three,
Btw GM went bust mostly because of GMAC taking home loans. Cars were also crap too but they sold them with no margins. Oh boy has that changed now.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:22 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Wow.. wrong completely... sorry. Coming from someone in the industry.
Btw Toyota Camry is 100 percent engineered in the USA. I would know that personally and I'm very sure my former colleague friends boss is not Japanese

Anyways just my .02 cents

Also Toyota and gm shared a plant in the USA called numi in California...produce same cars for years aka vibe and matrix etc

So many fake rumors about the big three,
Btw GM went bust mostly because of GMAC taking home loans. Cars were also crap too but they sold them with no margins. Oh boy has that changed now.
Sorry but you're wrong about Toyota. I deal with them everyday and the Big 3 as a component supplier (and my dad used to work for a Big 3), and like I said, I actually used to live at their corporate HQ in Japan - it's where I grew up. Nearly all of Toyota's foreign subsidiaries are 100% owned and controlled by Toyota Japan. Nearly all of Toyota's board of directors and executive officers are Japanese and career Toyota-men. All major and significant decisions pertaining to product design and direction are supervised by and given final approval by Toyota Japan.

I want to link to Toyota's 20-F filing (which are subject to all that "misleading or material ommision" stuff):

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...tm#rom19734_12

As of 2016 Toyota had two facilities in the USA, manufacturing with some limited R&D functions.

Toyota's main R&D facilities are located at Susono and Toyota city, Japan. There is some market-specific R&D for the US market performed in the US. These functions are mostly what you are probably familiar as "localization":

-US product planning/evaluation
-US design
-Environmental and safety
-AI tech

The vast majority of their R&D is conducted in Japan, including:

-product planning, style, design and evaluation
-advanced research and develop
-advanced styling designs
-ALL vehicle testing and evaluation

Toyota has something like 5 times as many employees in Japan than they do in the USA, and Japan remains their largest market.

Last edited by caymannyc; 01-16-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

He lost me on "racist".
Old 01-16-2017, 01:39 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,615 Likes on 775 Posts

had a '66 Mustang in high school ('71-'73), and (briefly) a hand-me-down '68 Ford LTD in college that I sold in '78. Haven't owned or wanted to own a car from the Big 3 (Ford, Chev, Chrysler) since then. Maybe there are some decent products coming off the assembly lines these days, but nothing that looks good enough to draw me away from Japanese and German manufacturers.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:48 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I owned a 72 Buick Lesabre that my grandfather gave me back in 89....long gone. Awesome car. Nothing but German, Italian and English cars since then. I would buy a Stingray in a heartbeat if I could justify it. But I would love to buy a muscle car...something simple to work on with a big engine.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:51 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
He lost me on "racist".
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/30/bu...-backfire.html

"The announcer says, sarcastically, "Well, excuse us." After touting the attributes of the Pontiac Grand Am over the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry, he adds, sneeringly, "Maybe they need a reading lesson."

Lol.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...520b4167ee.jpg

Interestingly, I don't think GM, Ford or Chrysler are building any cars in Japan or South Korea...actually I know for a fact they are not, yet the below happened, and continues to happen today! Interestingly, how many Porsche's are built in the USA? Or German cars? Ask yourself, why the Japanese and Koreans have factories in the USA...world's largest auto market? By that logic, there must be MANY Volkswagen factories in the USA right? :P Wait no, I think Passat is the only car in the entire Volkswagen group that is built in the USA.

http://www.aaja.org/wp-content/uploa...10303015_2.jpg

Gotta love the Radio Shack in the back.
http://www.aaja.org/wp-content/uploa...20910082_3.jpg

Fitting really.
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/e6b3f5b481...-is-gnxbn3.jpg

Last edited by caymannyc; 01-16-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned American cars in high school & college and never had any major issues. But early in my career I ended up with a Ford Taurus as a company car; the quality left a lot to be desired and biased my opinion against American. Since then it's been all imports, mostly German, until this year.

Like Para82, I bought a Ford Shelby GT350. After having some trepidation about going back to American (after decades of Porsche, MB, BMW & Audi), I have to say the quality of my Ford is absolutely great! The car is less than a year old, so only time will tell about reliability. But the car has been flawless so far (knock on wood). The overall fit and finish exceeded my expectations. The paint job is especially nice.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:28 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We bought a brand new 2016 GMC Yukon Denali not 6 months ago to replace my wife's MB GL550. Probably will not buy American again for the foreseeable future.

Problems with car:
- 4WD got stuck while we were 200mi from home. Causes front-to-back diff to get locked. Car won't turn in tighter spaces (e.g. parking). Dealer fixed via reprogramming
- Panels don't line up well. I examined a bunch of cars on the lot - all are built the same. I mentioned that to the salesman, and he said "Well, it isn't a Mercedes". No sir it isn't!
- Window gasket was not installed properly
- Collision detection/lane departure would not turn on sometimes
- Got "Brake assist not available" one day. Brakes felt like ABS is kicking in right away. Issue fixed itself on next restart.
- Electronics have been flaky since day 1, and got worse. Car would triggered some 15 faults every 1min or so. Dealer had car for 4 days and couldn't reproduce. After I did some investigating myself, i was able to find a flakey connector in the steering column. Went back to dealer and told them to fix the connector - no issues since.

If the space wasn't so important to us(for our two kids, friends, and dog), I'd trade it tomorrow for a Macan.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:58 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I never own american. By far the most common brand in my garage is Honda/Acura. Right now I use a Honda Pilot to drive most days, has 180k on it and still runs great, I kept it when I got my wife a new audi and realized it was worth way more for us to keep it than to sell it. It makes it so I don't need to put a ton of miles on the 911 (I don't like to drive it everyday anyway, as it begins to feel "less special") and instead of worrying about sand in my wifes audi, we just throw the surfboards in the back of the pilot and don't worry about it. Use it to toe my dirtbikes, racing karts, etc.... Funning thing is, everytime there is an "issue" with my old M3 and now 911 or my wifes Audi, the Pilot just keeps going. Has a ton of miles on it and has far less issues than ANY german car I have owned (which are only a few-Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche). I kind of feel a loyalty to Honda/Acura because they are like the friends that are always there for you. Even though they aren't super exciting, fast or much to really loo at, They just work! So its a perfect companion to our 2 German POS cars
Old 01-16-2017, 08:44 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Auto show test

Every year I go to the Detroit Auto Show and compare brands - including my annual door slamming test. Just did it last Saturday. Cadillac is across the aisle from Mercedes. All you need to do is go back and forth. Even with comparibly priced cars GM is an embarrassment. A $70K CTS wobbles, rattles and shakes. No "chunk." Superficial? Maybe. But it is proff enough for me. Check out Genesis. I was impressed.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 AM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Great timing for this thread. I am currently looking for another daily driver to replace either our Acura MDX or MB ML350. The Acura has been literally bullet proof as the odometer closes in on 100k, and the MB hasn't been far behind. I have owned many American cars over the years, however the last one was a 2002 Cadillac STS, and while it was fun to drive, the endless annoying problems forced me to sell it.

I looked at a Ford Explorer Sport over the weekend. Seemed nice enough, but seats didn't seem comfortable, and overall it seemed to lack any refinement whatsoever. Also looked at BMW X5, but my friends keep telling me BMW's reliability has become a nightmare and be prepared to spend lots of time at the dealer. Finally, looked at the new MDX and couldn't get past a front grille that is ugly as the Aztec rear end. I think the good news is that the gap that once existed between companies has narrowed, but differences still exist. OK, enough of my rambling for now.........
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

Amazing + informative post

Originally Posted by caymannyc
I grew up in Nagoya Japan (where my dad was sent by, you guessed it, a US automaker to learn how to build cars properly, get the irony on that) and in the Detroit area where, you guessed it, he has spent the last 30+ years of his life engineering and building cars. Thanks to my dad's influence, I also happen to cover the auto industry and have worked closely with US, German, Japanese, Korean and Indian car companies on various projects. First off, the ones saying "Toyotas are "American" just because certain manufacturing or assembly plants happen to be in the US solely for tax reasons, are simply wrong. The design, management and engineering all happens in Japan, by Japanese engineers and workers. Certain cheap parts may be sourced from common-US suppliers, but any dummy can read the annual Audit Report for Toyota (sec.gov, TM) and get a list of suppliers for Toyota. Guess what? Most of its suppliers are...affiliated (read, Toyota controlled) companies. Even the Japanese factories located in the USA are managed by Japanese managers and quality control personnel. These are very much Japanese cars. Now, what I'm about to say has nothing to do with the quality of American cars. In fact I know the quality is good and American companies are capable of making some good vehicles (but continue to make absolute stinkers). What I'm about to say has to do with my emotional decision on why I will never buy an American car. Say all you want about the big bad anti-American brigade - the fact remains it was this very same "America is ARE country" Big-3 that shoved overpriced crappy cars down our throats for 20 years while spouting all sorts of racist propaganda against Japanese and Asian automakers (while deploying people like my dad to learn how to build cars from them and hiring as many Japanese engineers as they could get their hands on). This hypocrisy where they were shoveling crap into dealer's lots and expecting Americans to pay above and beyond what Honda was charging lasted for decades and you were punished with scorn, ridiculue and sometimes being told you were un-American for refusing to buy one of their cars (I'm an honorably discharged Army veteran, no less). What kind of utter garbage is that. Also, the glee with which the US automakers reacted everytime a Japanese maker had to do a recall (or even during the Toyota break failure issue, which incidentally, has happened many many many MANY more times for the US car makers yet never received so much publicity) was also over the top, especially in light of the bailout for the US auto industry. The following ad pretty much sums it up. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSHc9yDZT4 It's insulting that a multi-national has to appeal to nationalism to sell their products. And it's even more idiotic that these same Big-3 are currently making a big push to sell their products in countries like Japan, Korea and China, the very same countries from which they were clamoring for trade embargoes and tariffs.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I grew up in the Motown burbs in the 50s-60s and "furrin" cars were pretty scarce aside from VWs. I wrenched my way through college on Detroit iron, they were pretty good up until '71 when EPA regs and runaway union wages hit the industry with a double punch. From the 70s-90s if you bought a new American car you spent the first year finishing what the assembly line neglected, and still there were a lot of compromises in fit-finish and driveability. But if you owned a business in the Detroit area, even if it wasn't directly involved with the auto industry, enough of your client/customer base was, so driving an American car was a must. Foreign cars, especially Japanese, were kicking the big three's hind end.

I don't really know if American cars have gotten better, or imports have gotten worse, or both, but the amount of trouble I've had with BMWs, Volvos, Mercedes and the Porsche, and the cost of maintaining and repairing them makes those days with American cars look not so bad by comparison.

I just added a low-mileage C6 Vette to the stable, so we'll see. At least it's a lot cheaper to get repaired.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

grew up with nothing but new american cars in my household

- '87 chrysler magicwagon (remember these), tons of small issues but the final nail on the coffin was when my dad had to go back for some AC unit repair and the dealer told him 'they were expecting him'. he sold it after that incident.
- '90 astro, lasted 10 years no major issues from what i recall
- '96 grand am, i think it started to drive like crap after 7 years so my parents traded it in for another grand am ('2003) - which altho has under 100k miles on it right now u'd figure the car has 300k on the odometer - drives horribly.
- 2001 pontiac tempest van. roof rack glue was coming off in 6 months, another 6 months after the sliding door had issues (mounts were loose and/or adhesive issues). it drove absolutely HORRIBLE after the 6-7 year mark. car was screeching and had what i felt zero power (no clue what the issue was).
- he had i believe 2, maybe 3 used american cars before the aforementioned cars, but i was too young to recall the make/models... but i recall him spending ALOT of time underneath the car fixing this and that...

my father refused to purchase Japanese (despite me begging as a teen) from listening to all my grandfathers wwII stories (and couldn't afford german), so he always bought brand new american cars. overall he was frustrated (disappointed) with their build quality; even moreso as was an engineer in the automotive industry (working on chrysler and gm projects). he also always maintained his cars well. having witnessed this my entire life i couldn't help but conclude it was a huge waste of money hard earned money... i would also ask him in my teens why he didnt try to save a bit of coin and buy a used car with 30k (milage car).

oh and my best friends mustang (i think '97) erupted in flames. some coolant hose mount was faulty and his first engine overheated. he had it replaced for a few grand and not even a year later the same issues occurred while he was on the highway but this time the engine caught fire; and his car almost exploded. thats pretty much my view of american quality vehicles.

i'll admit I'm skeptical on german quality re i think they are built with performance in mind, not reliability. i love chatting with my neighbours about their brand new bmw's and they have their share of silly issues.... with that said both my lexus' are approaching 130k on the odometer (with my suv approaching a decade in age come summer) and imo still drive comparably to when they had 25k on the odometer.

while it's up to me and my money, i can't see myself going back to american in my household.

Originally Posted by caslca
We bought a brand new 2016 GMC Yukon Denali not 6 months ago to replace my wife's MB GL550. Probably will not buy American again for the foreseeable future.

Problems with car:
- 4WD got stuck while we were 200mi from home. Causes front-to-back diff to get locked. Car won't turn in tighter spaces (e.g. parking). Dealer fixed via reprogramming
- Panels don't line up well. I examined a bunch of cars on the lot - all are built the same. I mentioned that to the salesman, and he said "Well, it isn't a Mercedes". No sir it isn't!
- Window gasket was not installed properly
- Collision detection/lane departure would not turn on sometimes
- Got "Brake assist not available" one day. Brakes felt like ABS is kicking in right away. Issue fixed itself on next restart.
- Electronics have been flaky since day 1, and got worse. Car would triggered some 15 faults every 1min or so. Dealer had car for 4 days and couldn't reproduce. After I did some investigating myself, i was able to find a flakey connector in the steering column. Went back to dealer and told them to fix the connector - no issues since.

If the space wasn't so important to us(for our two kids, friends, and dog), I'd trade it tomorrow for a Macan.

Last edited by myw; 01-16-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: American Cars…