Sponsored by:

Experience center?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:38 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline911
Looking forward to checking this out soon. Not sure what course to do....Master the Manual looks cool and would hopefully translate skills to my 997 C2 Manual. However, this would be a good opportunity to really flog around a PDK car to see if that's an option I'd want to move to in the future. Boxster Spyder looks awesome.....this could get expensive!
+1.. Can we just use a 997 to learn the limits of it on their track? (on top of experiencing a GT3, GT3RS etc.) I don't track my car, but I would like to know it's limits. I wouldn't want to use the new 991.2 or 991.1 on their track since it has more features/aides like the auto blip on the downshift. I also have no plans to buy a 991 at this time.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:30 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
+1.. Can we just use a 997 to learn the limits of it on their track? (on top of experiencing a GT3, GT3RS etc.) I don't track my car, but I would like to know it's limits. I wouldn't want to use the new 991.2 or 991.1 on their track since it has more features/aides like the auto blip on the downshift. I also have no plans to buy a 991 at this time.
I get you....I'd rather drive my own car with their instructor. But that's not what this is....I think the purpose is to sell (experience) new Porsche models. Really it's a glorified performance test drive.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Anyone spent any time at the Atlanta one?
I've done Atlanta. Dropped serious money driving three different cars (GT3, GT4, Turbo). Serious money. It was a blast.

I was more than disappointed that we did not have access to the museum, and that their 356 cafe was closed for a private event. So much of the "offer" that is advertised and which you assume will be part of the "experience" is available for private/corporate use. This is good to know, so when you decide to visit either place, try to confirm whether or not you will be barred from entry into some area you otherwise will expect to see.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 PM
GT2RSobsessed
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline911
I get you....I'd rather drive my own car with their instructor. But that's not what this is....I think the purpose is to sell (experience) new Porsche models. Really it's a glorified performance test drive.
Yeh that makes sense.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Aliti87
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the opportunity to visit the experience center shortly after the grand opening while I was in LA on business back in November. As others have mentioned, the museum is a Porschephile's dream collection. Luckily, I had the foresight to book in advance for the driving experience. I went with a 718 Boxster S as my vehicle for the day, mostly because it was one of the cheaper options and to experience something different than my 911.

Long story short, it's worth every penny. The driving modules are all very different and exciting, and I definitely felt like I had enough time behind the wheel (although I could have stayed all day!). My personal favorite was the road course around the entire complex, but I also enjoyed learning more about car control in the limited traction modules. It's a very positive experience with less regimented rules than one would expect. It's up to you, the drive, to determine which modules you enjoy the most and where you would like to spend the most time.

Oh, and another benefit of the Boxster was putting the top down while ripping up the course in beautiful SoCal! I highly recommend any Porsche fan visits.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been to the Atlanta center twice last year. Once with a bunch of P-Car outlaws known as the P-Car Touring Group in north GA, and once again for a Master the Manual track day. If you have never been and are a true Porschefile then I would highly recommend it.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:06 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to checking this out soon. Not sure what course to do....Master the Manual looks cool and would hopefully translate skills to my 997 C2 Manual. However, this would be a good opportunity to really flog around a PDK car to see if that's an option I'd want to move to in the future. Boxster Spyder looks awesome.....this could get expensive!
My wife gave me a $650 homemade certificate that I have to use this year for a driving experience at the new center- I'm thinking the Master the Manual, too- but hoping I can finagle some time in a PDK car, too, to see what the fuss is about. Can't wait
Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

As I posted in another thread, did the master the manual course and drove the new 991.2 and the GT4. It was awesome, sold my 997.1S within 3 weeks so I could buy a GT4 so yes its expensive....

also went back last sat. for a family fun day in the Sim. that was pretty cool as well, and they seem to change out the cars inside every 4-6 weeks so that is another reason to keep going back.

Last edited by 06C2s; 01-10-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Blaine 997
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to do a driving course at the Atalanta center when I was in Georgia for vacation in 2015, but they were closed between Christmas and New Years when I was there.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:05 PM
ocgarza
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

I did the Atlanta location Rear-engine vs mid engine experience in March of 2015, I believe it was $550. Got lots of seat time in the 15 CaymanS vs 911C2S on both the track and on the skid plates. Loads of fun and after a lot of driving, my driver - Jon Brunot - took both cars for some laps at the absolute limit of each car. The museum in Atlanta was spectacular and the gift shop was full of items only available there. Yes the gift items were outrageously priced. It was a great afternoon!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by waizone
Went this weekend after a drive over Ortega Hwy pass. Place was amazing if you're a Porsche enthusiast. Some very nice cars in their "museum". Great boutique as well. We had lunch upstairs at 917 restaurant which has a great view of PEC outside courses. Food was excellent. Reservations highly recommend. Will be back again and will definitely plan on getting some time behind the wheel.
Thats a good day. I live on the other side of Ortega and "had" to go to Elsinore to pick up some kart parts. I was glad to go out of my way. Turns out the very next weeks I "needed" some more parts from the same guy. Its the most fun drive if you don't hit traffic.

Back to the topic. How does this whole thing work exactly? It appears that there is a museum type thing, an opportunity to drive a porsche of your choice (more rare the car, higher the cost), a restaurant and stuff for sale. Does it cost money just to go or only to drive and eat? I am not really a huge fan of paying $600-800 to drive a car that is a little newer than mine (I have a dad a cousin and a brother that each have 991 C2S, I have a good friend that has a 997.2 GT3, GT4 and Mclaren 675LT, etc, etc...) so I just have a little bit of a hard time paying to drive a car like that at far from sub-maximal levels. I was hoping one could take their own porsche on the track, but it sounds like this isn't an option. Someone in our kart series noticed that there is a Kart track onsite, but there is absolutely NO info about this (perhaps they will be introducing a Kart rental thing?).
Old 01-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I just want to take a GT3 around the track. The Atlanta Experience Center is on my list this year for sure - easy 5 hour drive from me.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Thats a good day. I live on the other side of Ortega and "had" to go to Elsinore to pick up some kart parts. I was glad to go out of my way. Turns out the very next weeks I "needed" some more parts from the same guy. Its the most fun drive if you don't hit traffic.

Back to the topic. How does this whole thing work exactly? It appears that there is a museum type thing, an opportunity to drive a porsche of your choice (more rare the car, higher the cost), a restaurant and stuff for sale. Does it cost money just to go or only to drive and eat? I am not really a huge fan of paying $600-800 to drive a car that is a little newer than mine (I have a dad a cousin and a brother that each have 991 C2S, I have a good friend that has a 997.2 GT3, GT4 and Mclaren 675LT, etc, etc...) so I just have a little bit of a hard time paying to drive a car like that at far from sub-maximal levels. I was hoping one could take their own porsche on the track, but it sounds like this isn't an option. Someone in our kart series noticed that there is a Kart track onsite, but there is absolutely NO info about this (perhaps they will be introducing a Kart rental thing?).
Why not just take your own car to another track?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:18 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Why not just take your own car to another track?
of course, but this was about the Porsche experience facility
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

I visited the Atlanta center a few months after taking delivery of my new Spyder. I chose the Spyder at the center with the intention of learning more about my own car's handling characteristics. 5 star experience!

Quick Reply: Experience center?