Sponsored by:

PDK and the track question...discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016 | 11:19 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default PDK and the track question...discussion

I have searched and read a lot about the PDK (gen 1 on 997.2) vs Manual, but haven't been able to find the deeper level of insight I'm looking for (if I missed it, please point me there). I don't want to re-open the 'which is better' as I think it does come down to personal preference.

What I would like to discuss is how it performs on the track. Specifically, speed of shifting. I spoke with my proven Porsche wrench about the PDK on the track and his experience is that it felt as though it was in limbo (slow shifting) when downshifting into the corner. I'm not sure if he was in standard settings or in the sport or sport+ mode. He didn't mention the feeling of waiting during upshifts, but I would like to hear impressions/experiences on this too.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and opinions of how the PDK works on the track and help me make the decision on which direction I will go.

Thanks,
-Skip
Old 12-29-2016 | 12:50 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

I have an 09 w/pdk and in sport plus it drops gears quickly. I haven't taken it on a track yet, but around windy roads etc, I have seen it drop 2 gears in a blink braking into a turn.
Old 12-29-2016 | 01:15 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

It's too glib to say, "Do a search", particularly when you have to parse through a lot of info. For me, the Search function only works when I remember reading something and am trying to relocate it. Anyway, try this link (you may have read it already) and you can follow up perhaps with searches using some of the posters id's and a few keywords. Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rs-hiding.html
Old 12-29-2016 | 01:34 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

I attended the Porsche Sport Driving School at Barber Motorsports Park for the Masters Plus course and drove several PDK and manual cars - the PDK is faster and easier to drive. With the PDK you can concentrate on driving, hitting the correct braking points, hitting the apex and generally have a faster lap time in equivalent cars. I was lucky to have driven with Hurley Haywood on several laps and he firmly believes in the PDK for street and track.
Old 12-29-2016 | 01:36 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should also add that is the reason I bought a GTS with a PDK.
Old 12-29-2016 | 02:57 PM
vizsla_22
AutoX

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I was lucky to have driven with Hurley Haywood on several laps and he firmly believes in the PDK for street and track.
I know this is weird, but I recently purchased a Porsche and found a signature under the front hood of the car. I could never make out who this was until I read your post with Hurley Haywood mentioned. By chance does anyone know if this is who signed it? I have to admit I was a little annoyed I didn't notice this at first but as time has gone on it just makes me laugh that I didn't catch it and I really wanted to figure out who this was. Thanks for any help on this.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2016 | 02:59 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Default PDK

I have a 997.2 GTS (2011) with PDK and have had many track days.
In Sport Plus mode it is great (although sometimes I wish I had a manual).

Shift times are fine on both up/dowshift. In fact, in Sport Plus it can shift quite aggressively.

A few observations if I have to be hyper critical:

1)If you are a gear too high and put your put all the way down, the car will downshift, even if set full manual. I don't think it should do this, but it does.

2)Upshifts uphill under load and near redline can be a little laggy. You have to shift earlier in this situation for a smooth shift. I've only noticed this in a 2-3 upshift after T3 at NHMS.

db
Old 12-29-2016 | 03:35 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

He signed this for me at the school. Sure looks like his signature. I would say you are lucky to have it on your car - adds value and is really cool.
Old 12-29-2016 | 05:02 PM
vizsla_22
AutoX

Originally Posted by porscheralph
He signed this for me at the school. Sure looks like his signature. I would say you are lucky to have it on your car - adds value and is really cool.
I'm just happy to know who it is, lol. Thanks so much for posting the pic, the signatures match for sure.
Old 12-29-2016 | 05:16 PM
DC911S
Drifting

might want to pit clear film over it to protect it from flaking or rubbing off.
Old 12-29-2016 | 05:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

That will buff right out.
Old 12-29-2016 | 06:54 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Macster with a one liner ... well done 8)
Old 12-29-2016 | 07:33 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Originally Posted by vizsla_22
I know this is weird, but I recently purchased a Porsche and found a signature under the front hood of the car. I could never make out who this was until I read your post with Hurley Haywood mentioned. By chance does anyone know if this is who signed it? I have to admit I was a little annoyed I didn't notice this at first but as time has gone on it just makes me laugh that I didn't catch it and I really wanted to figure out who this was. Thanks for any help on this.
That is definitely Hurley's signature.
Old 12-31-2016 | 04:31 PM
ianstewartshouse
Intermediate

Thanks for the insight dbbaron, reference your first point I think mine only downshifts in sportplus on manual if i go past full throttle and depress the 'kickdown' button. This is a bit of a pain when you depress it accidentally. I have also found it helpful in lower gears to depress it to auto change at the redline avoiding hitting the rev limiter
Old 12-31-2016 | 05:15 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

the PDK thinks faster than you do. Seriously.

Quick Reply: PDK and the track question...discussion