997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a Canadian 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017 | 11:02 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Well done, hope your feeling good and enjoy your new car, its a beauty !!

Shiny side up
Old 01-03-2017 | 11:15 PM
must58gt
Track Day

Thanks 19VBF19 !

Call me gutless but I decided to pick the car up in Nashville later this month rather than brave the weather and any other winter obstacles further north. No way of knowing in advance what the weather might be like.

So far, it doesn't appear that anyone I'm working with at Oakville Porsche has ever sent a car across the border. I'll be talking with them tomorrow to make sure all the details are known and accounted for well in advance. Traveling to Buffalo, NY on short notice to get the car out of impound because they (or the transport company) forgot something won't be pleasant.
Old 01-03-2017 | 11:35 PM
vern1
Race Car

Exclamation

Originally Posted by must58gt
Thanks 19VBF19 !

Call me gutless but I decided to pick the car up in Nashville later this month rather than brave the weather and any other winter obstacles further north. No way of knowing in advance what the weather might be like.

So far, it doesn't appear that anyone I'm working with at Oakville Porsche has ever sent a car across the border. I'll be talking with them tomorrow to make sure all the details are known and accounted for well in advance. Traveling to Buffalo, NY on short notice to get the car out of impound because they (or the transport company) forgot something won't be pleasant.
***** . Its actually been raining here and the weather looks pretty good but I understand the sentiment. I always figured if the weather got bad you just hole up at the Holiday Inn and watch tv in the sports bar for an extra day

They must use a shipper and the shipping company should have all the answers as they do this hundreds of times a year. Why Nashville as aren't you in Texas?
Old 01-03-2017 | 11:46 PM
must58gt
Track Day

We have family in Nashville and on a big map of the US, it looks like a reasonably close point of intercept. Nothing any more scientific than that. The call tomorrow includes the shipper ... will know more then.
Old 01-03-2017 | 11:49 PM
vern1
Race Car

Should be easy to sort out. Good luck and enjoy!!
Old 01-19-2017 | 10:40 AM
must58gt
Track Day

Default DME/over-rev scan ... pls advise

Quick update ... 3 weeks and counting, the car is still at the dealership in Oakville. Am hoping the transporter picks it up this week but no one seems to be in a hurry. He also said it would be "very difficult" to predict when the car will arrive, so I asked him to simply ship the car to Austin and I cancelled my flight, leaving a small but non-zero possibility I might still try to intercept the truck somewhere north.

Received a copy of the over-rev report from Oakville Porsche today. I read a couple how-to read a DME forums last night but it's still a mystery. If there's anyone out there that knows how-to read the report, I would appreciate a brief scan and let me know if you see anything grotesque or obscene. Since the car comes with a CPO warranty, I'm not too concerned but I would prefer to know now than find out later.

If it's really bad, PM preferable .

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
over rev report 011917.pdf (313.2 KB, 868 views)
Old 01-19-2017 | 11:41 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Must58gt - While you may not be driving your next toy home.
Do travel with your stick driving daughter lots. And take the road less traveled.

https://youtu.be/ggtH05LFF3k
Old 01-19-2017 | 11:48 AM
must58gt
Track Day

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Must58gt - While you may not be driving your next toy home.
Do travel with your stick driving daughter lots. And take the road less traveled.

https://youtu.be/ggtH05LFF3k
Thanks for sending the video. I'm especially now in the mood to take your advice and start looking for Route 66.

Like especially the quote, "thanks for the drive, I had a great time"
Old 01-19-2017 | 03:30 PM
vern1
Race Car

Quick update ... 3 weeks and counting, the car is still at the dealership in Oakville. Am hoping the transporter picks it up this week but no one seems to be in a hurry. He also said it would be "very difficult" to predict when the car will arrive, so I asked him to simply ship the car to Austin and I cancelled my flight, leaving a small but non-zero possibility I might still try to intercept the truck somewhere north.

Received a copy of the over-rev report from Oakville Porsche today. I read a couple how-to read a DME forums last night but it's still a mystery. If there's anyone out there that knows how-to read the report, I would appreciate a brief scan and let me know if you see anything grotesque or obscene. Since the car comes with a CPO warranty, I'm not too concerned but I would prefer to know now than find out later.

If it's really bad, PM preferable .

Thanks.
Looks to me like there has not been one single over rev on this car, ever. I have never ever even heard of this before (I guess except for a brand new car). This means whoever drove it for those +40k kms never once touched the redline on this car! Find that hard to believe but I guess that's the case

So you have the opposite of an abused car ie its hasn't been driven hard enough!!! Still cant believe it though....
Old 01-19-2017 | 07:29 PM
must58gt
Track Day

Originally Posted by vern1
Looks to me like there has not been one single over rev on this car, ever. I have never ever even heard of this before (I guess except for a brand new car). This means whoever drove it for those +40k kms never once touched the redline on this car! Find that hard to believe but I guess that's the case

So you have the opposite of an abused car ie its hasn't been driven hard enough!!! Still cant believe it though....
Is it possible (or likely) that a dealer would clear the fault codes and DME recordings. Since both are key input to the certification and cheating on things like this aren't too popular lately, I'm inclined to assume it's right and maybe I got lucky just this once.
Old 01-19-2017 | 07:47 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Congrats, she's a beaut! What is that amazing colour?
Old 01-19-2017 | 09:26 PM
must58gt
Track Day

It's Dark Blue Metallic (paint code N4) ... I haven't seen any 911's in Austin that color so I didn't think it would be that interesting in person. Stunning it is, and a definitely not a typical Porsche paint scheme.
Old 01-19-2017 | 10:48 PM
vern1
Race Car

Is it possible (or likely) that a dealer would clear the fault codes and DME recordings. Since both are key input to the certification and cheating on things like this aren't too popular lately, I'm inclined to assume it's right and maybe I got lucky just this once.
I don't know if it is even possible to mess with the DME re overrevs and I don't think a legit dealership like this one would even contemplate it. Too much to lose

Have never seen one. I would just call the dealership and talk to the service manager to confirm 0 revs across the board. I think my car has +15,000 for level 1....
Old 01-31-2017 | 08:48 AM
must58gt
Track Day

Well, the car arrived Sunday evening. I wasn't thrilled about meeting the carrier in the middle of the night but everything worked out great. The car arrived in excellent condition from Oakville Porsche, as advertised.

Am now in the process of applying for title in Texas. That's not a complex process although a tad bit time consuming.

Thanks all for the help along the way. If anyone needs help with importing a car from Canada, I'd be glad to help.

Last edited by must58gt; 01-31-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: change picture size
Old 01-31-2017 | 10:41 AM
German888
Racer

Congrats! Enjoy...

Quick Reply: Buy a Canadian 911?