Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help jumpstarting my knowledge for a 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:44 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Help jumpstarting my knowledge for a 997.2?

Advice on 997.2 sought. Long time Porsche enthusiast, 997 noob. I had a test drive scheduled with .2 S, GTS and Turbo back to back and snow came

I've had three 1995 993s in my life, starting in 2002. 2 cabs, now a coupe. Long time Rennlist enthusiast and active on 993 board. My latest iteration has several non-trivial mods (see sig) to make it a good compromise for a true dual use track/street car. I drive in Red on DE days, I'm no Kimi but no slouch.

I only own one car and live in NYC and do not have a daily driver (subway or feet). If I got a 997 I would sell the 993. If I were to switch (I don't wish to make this a 993 vs. 997 thread...I have posted on that), I don't know a ton about the 997.2. I am of course searching and reading here and elsewhere, but to accelerate my learning, I have a few Qs, if you could be so kind.

My thoughts so far:
  • GT3 would make the most sense from pure performance, but as a 2 seater doesn't work for my needs (sadly).
  • Turbo is a beast and I haven't driven it yet, but some more learned than me have said it is pretty heavy for the track.
  • S is certainly more readily available, but might miss the extra HP of the GTS.

So, a few questions.
  1. Any thoughts on the above models given the dual use / family requirement?
  2. Are there S models that are performance optioned enough to essentially be a GTS?
  3. Can you turn the driver aids completely off (ABS aside of course) for track days? Off as in for at least a whole session, not coming back on when you brake?
  4. If no electronic way to do so, is there a physical way, i.e., unplugging something?
  5. Thoughts on PASM for track use? I've heard rumors of some sort of control module aftermarket that actually makes it nice, but not sure otherwise.
  6. Given the above, are there any options that are particularly desireable or particularly undesireable?

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:57 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

If you get any S you can boost the HP over a gts by putting in free flow filters like bmc, useing a Xpipe and free flow exhaust like agency power and getting a good ecu program like evomsit
Old 12-22-2016, 11:43 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the 997.2, I understand you can completely and permanately disable PSM and traction control (electronic limited slip) by disconnecting an electronic connection right under the brake fluid reservoir at the charge pump in the boot lid. You can also remove the ABS fuse.

If you don't do the above, even IF you turn the PSM off by pressing the button, it will come back on when you tap on the brakes and even IF you release the brakes, the PSM will be "trail braking" for you until the yaw indicators are within limits again. So you need to disconnect. You'll hear a lot of opinions on rennlist that turning off PSM will result in slower lap times. If you head over to 6speedonline, you'll hear a lot of opinions that turning off PSM is essential for the track

For non-997.2, I believe there is something called an "automatic brake differential" which cannot be permanately defeated, and is a system designed to keep the rear wheels spinning at the same rate as the front wheels.

The below are a list of electronic aids that form part of the PCM suite.

– Stability management system
– Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
– Brake system prefilling
– Brake booster
– Traction control system (TCS)
– Automatic brake differential (ABD)
– Engine drag torque control (MSR)

BTW, I used to have a 997 Turbo and now a 997.2S. The Turbo was overkill for my purposes (non-track) and it was such a stiff ride that people hated riding in it so it had to go. It is however a much faster car than the 997 S, so may be a good compromise for you.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS

I've heard rumors of some sort of control module aftermarket that actually makes it nice, but not sure otherwise.
You're talking about DSC Sport and you can see it here

Also, plenty of info on the forum here about it - just search on DSC Sport

I have it and it's great. I do plenty of track days and leave PASM in sport mode. I also have some other suspension upgrades...

Cheers!
Jack

Quick Reply: Help jumpstarting my knowledge for a 997.2?