Sponsored by:

Two tone interiors

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:59 AM
jeffm
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Two tone interiors

When I purchased my low mileage 997, I was happy that it was local as I lost out on a few out of state opportunities. The one compromise I did make was the interior...stone grey in standard trim. Although the interior is absolutely immaculate, it's a little lack luster and is totally devoid of contrast.

My original thought was to replace the entire interior, but that's just silly and cost prohibitive...not to mention the work it would take to replace the dash. Although I've seen other two tone color options, does any one have a two tone grey and black? To start, I ordered some black floor mats to throw in and judge the color. Long term I was thinking of just replacing the entire floor carpet and bits with black. From there I could recover the carpet just on the lower door panel, lower rear trim panel and the back rear seats.

As anyone done this before? Any other suggestions?

Sea of grey:

Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Black and Grey with some carbon fiber bits would look real nice.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Black floor mats front and rear with red Carrera will help a lot. Also rear seat shelf may same idea.

You can change the the left side ignition and headlight surrounds to black easily to break up the sea of gray on that side of the dash.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 901 Posts

I added a painted center console when I faced the same issue with my 997. It made a big difference.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:33 AM
jeffm
Racer

All good ideas!

Black OE floor mats come today, so I'll toss those in to start.

If the carpets are switched to black, would the lower door panel look bad in grey carpet? Wondering if the carpet on the door panel was changed to different material would it look good?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:00 PM
monster1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jeff, I have exactly the same stone grey interior in my 2005 Carrera S and like you I wanted to add a bit of black for the reasons you give.

I stuck black mats in, I replaced the PCM2.1 with a PCM3 and fitted the 997.2 AC controls and PASM button strip in the centre column which are black.

I put a black gear shift and handbrake in along with a black 997.2 steering wheel.

I also painted the rear centre console black and stuck a black Porsche embossed lid on it.

Im really happy with how it looks and feels inside now and I would suggest you shopped go for it! - Some pics:
Attached Images     
Old 12-21-2016, 01:04 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I added Coco Mat Chequers mats (black/gray) to my Arctic Silver/black combo to liven things up.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Subscribed - I have stone grey interior and I'm just about to add the black sport paddle shift steering wheel in alcantara. I have from the factory the Black PCM 3.0 and was thinking about the floormats and maybe some other bits to add a bit more 'pop'
Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to change the door carpet to black, it could be done with spray carpet dye from Detail King for a few bucks and maybe an hour's time including masking.

Personally though I think I would just put in an alumalook-silver center console (keep the seal gray armrest), including the rear cubby and the u-shaped piece between the shift boot and center stack cubby. I think it would brighten and open up the interior whereas black will darken it. Just my personal taste.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 PM
jeffm
Racer

Thanks, that looks great!
I did, however, swap the wheel out for a black sport wheel so that adds some contrast.

My last car was a Cayman S. Same Arctic Silver but with black interior. For some reason this combination makes more sense to me. With the dash being so much work to swap out, I'd like to keep that grey along with the ceiling. From here I'm trying to establish the "belt line" between black and grey.

Either way, the door panels and rear panels need to come off. I'm struggling with keeping them grey and re-upholster with black carpet or convert all the way over to black. From there I'd keep the door spars grey to tie into the dash. I'll keep thinking about this.

My next project are the FD muffler, so the interior will probably happen in pieces.

Originally Posted by monster1
Hi Jeff, I have exactly the same stone grey interior in my 2005 Carrera S and like you I wanted to add a bit of black for the reasons you give.

I stuck black mats in, I replaced the PCM2.1 with a PCM3 and fitted the 997.2 AC controls and PASM button strip in the centre column which are black.

I put a black gear shift and handbrake in along with a black 997.2 steering wheel.

I also painted the rear centre console black and stuck a black Porsche embossed lid on it.

Im really happy with how it looks and feels inside now and I would suggest you shopped go for it! - Some pics:
Old 12-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

You could always alcantara wrap the lower dash - glove box and ignition surround - cheap if you DIY it - with black carpet door lowers and floor mats this might make sense and extend the 'beltline' across the dash.
Just remember - we need pictures!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 PM
jeffm
Racer

Originally Posted by Tj40
You could always alcantara wrap the lower dash - glove box and ignition surround - cheap if you DIY it - with black carpet door lowers and floor mats this might make sense and extend the 'beltline' across the dash.
Just remember - we need pictures!
I've been toying with this as well, DIY alcantara. I think this would look good as a contrasting color to the dash without going black. I thought it would be cool to carry over the same alcantara to replace the lower door panel carpet, but not sure if this would look good in the transition to the rear panel.

I've tried the DIY dye to change color the carpet color on a previous Boxster rear speaker unit. Turned out terrible (and I bought the good stuff!) so replacing might be the better option.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Monster1 neglected to mention the biggest change he made to liven up his interior--moving his steering wheel over to the wrong side. It really changes the view from the driver's seat.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:08 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 87 Posts

Contrast? Who needs contrast...

Old 12-22-2016, 03:04 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

In the same boat. Added the alcantara wheel and arm-rest, and next I'm going to fit the silver painted
center console. You can see I test fitted to see how it looks.

I am contemplating alcantara on the A/B/C pillars, and I've ordered a body color (Atlas Grey) PDK shifter console. If I get the sports seats, I'm going to match the seat backs to the center console in silver.

Quick Reply: Two tone interiors