Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all MY 997.1 S 3.8s subject to scoring

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016 | 09:04 PM
German888
Racer

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor 949
Mid to low $20k range for .1? Are we talking base Carrera or S?
Base Carrera. S in the high $20K low 30's. Not referring to dealer held cars but more the private party variety.
Old 12-26-2016 | 12:35 AM
gopirates
Racer

Mine is a 09 .2 3.6 and I had scoring. Luckily, I am under CPO and got a new engine. The car was originally a CT/Philly car so cold weather starts/warm ups might have been a factor.

It is an NC car now and gets properly warmed up. It is still in break in so no driving like it was stolen for a while.
Old 12-26-2016 | 08:08 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeffm
Maybe with a 100k
I've been looking since July and I haven't seen a single 997 below $25k at any mileage and not a single S below $35k. This is autotrader, cars, carmax, gurus, PCA, eBay, Pelican, and here. I need to shop wherever German888 is.

[QUOTE=gopirates;13837017]Mine is a 09 .2 3.6 and I had scoring. Luckily, I am under CPO and got a new engine. The car was originally a CT/Philly car so cold weather starts/warm ups might have been a factor.[QUOTE]

That's the first ever .2 I've read about having scoring.
Old 12-26-2016 | 10:24 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gopirates
Mine is a 09 .2 3.6 and I had scoring. Luckily, I am under CPO and got a new engine. The car was originally a CT/Philly car so cold weather starts/warm ups might have been a factor.

It is an NC car now and gets properly warmed up. It is still in break in so no driving like it was stolen for a while.
This is terribly disconcerting IMO. Perhaps we are going to start see more and more of this issues as cars get more miles on them. I always purchased and drove the wheels off turbos because those cases seemed just about bullet proof.

Without a doubt, 997.1 prices are being driven down by stigma driving 997.2 prices up because there is simply a huge demand for this well positioned car. The 996s (I owned 01 tt, 04 C2 and 04tcab so I can talk crap about them) are perhaps the weakest least desirable 911 that will ever be made. That leaves us basically very ol air cooleds which are too spartan and much of a hassle for most or the 997 model for the iconic feel of a 911.

Prior to this post, I legitimately say the narrow window of 09 through early 12 911 builds is a reasonable choice for hassle free, semi old-school feel and look as a daily driver option.

Lol, I am a class action lawyer (primarily defend large companies against them), but perhaps I should purchase the above and tee Porsche up if the engine tanks.

The IMS has a remedial or prophylactic measure to avoid catastrophic failure. Is there any such band-aide/cure for the scoring issue?
Old 12-26-2016 | 11:24 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

^^ There's probably about a half dozen fixes for the IMS bearing because it was a (relatively) inexpensive fix and easy to perform if you're "in there" for a clutch replacement. Look how many IMS "fixes" are on the market these days.

There's no comparable repair for bore scoring other than expensive partial engine tear down, probably why were not seeing more ads for bore scoring repair like you do the IMS. More rebuilders are performing cylinder liner replacement and that's a good thing. Still painful, though...

Are the cylinder liners and coolant flow that much different (any different) from the M96/M97 and 9A1? I would think so but were starting to see scoring in the 9A1.
Old 12-26-2016 | 11:28 AM
DC911S
Drifting

The engines and designs of them are very different. Totally different heads and coolant flow.
Old 12-26-2016 | 11:31 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

I realize it's a very different engine but did they cheap out on the cylinder liners or something else?
Old 12-26-2016 | 12:34 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gopirates

Hold on a minute. Bore scoring on a .2??!! Could you please expand a bit more on your issue? How many miles on your car?
Old 12-26-2016 | 12:42 PM
German888
Racer

I've been looking since July and I haven't seen a single 997 below $25k at any mileage and not a single S below $35k. This is autotrader, cars, carmax, gurus, PCA, eBay, Pelican, and here. I need to shop wherever German888 is.

Craigslist is your friend. Auto Trader/Guru/Ebay/Carmax, not so much. Avoid the middle man on used car purchase. Try taking your 75K + mile 997.1 car into a dealer of any kind for trade in. You won't get much over $20K regardless of condition or history. The market is very tough on high mileage 997's.
I purposefully targeted 75K+ mile range 997.1's for the cleanest well cared for car I could find. Had no trouble landing a great car within 3 weeks on craigslist. Don't bother using "Zoom The List". Take the time to log into larger cities within 500 miles of your home and do it daily. Good cars get sold within hours and often times are being bought by small dealer/flippers looking to make a quick $5-7K.

Mine was a 2 owner car, both PCA members and had impeccable records. Recent receipts totaling $6K. Seller was motivated because he found the car he wanted at a dealer but was being low balled on his trade in value. I offered him a couple grand over what the dealer had offered in trade. This scenario plays out frequently.

Low mileage cars don't follow this same trend IMO. I wasn't interested in a low mileage car however. My thinking is if the car has made it to 75K range without issues it's likely not going to suffer from catastrophic failure anytime soon. Had my car bore scoped during PPI and did it again myself for piece of mind after I purchased the car. Bores were perfect. My car is a 2006 with the larger "non replaceable" IMS bearing which was also deemed to be perfect with zero play or issues during a recent clutch replacement. At some point if the car does have a major IMS/bore issue my plan is to rebuild the longblock with a reputable name and fully address the shortcomings for good. I set aside $17K for such a day. I decided in the end I'd rather pay Low $20K range and drive it til it dies then drop another $15ish on a complete rebuild whereby increasing HP and enhancing durability well beyond the original motor.
Old 12-26-2016 | 03:25 PM
granprixweiss928
Three Wheelin'

A quality rebuild of a bore scored engine is more like 20-25k, not 15k.
Old 12-26-2016 | 04:19 PM
Jack667
Drifting

Originally Posted by German888
Craigslist is your friend.
That seems like a good strategy. Did you find any general fluctuations with PDK vs 6MT, or coupe vs cab?

One of these days, I want to pick up a 2nd 911, this one probably a 6MT cab. Just a dream at this point, though.
Old 12-26-2016 | 04:42 PM
German888
Racer

Originally Posted by granprixweiss928
A quality rebuild of a bore scored engine is more like 20-25k, not 15k.
Not necessarily true if you have access to a machine shop and do a fair amount of the work yourself which is my case. I do realize however this is not the norm for most owners. I'm lucky to be a member of a local Porsche club with several members who've rebuilt countless early-late model engines. We do weekly coffee meetings and share resources openly. Most of us are at or near retirement age and have plenty of time to play.

Even if you were not in this situation the last time I checked the rebuilt RND longblock was only $10-11K after core. Not totally unrealistic to think you could be all up for $15-17K if your willing to get your hands dirty.
Old 12-26-2016 | 04:46 PM
German888
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack667
That seems like a good strategy. Did you find any general fluctuations with PDK vs 6MT, or coupe vs cab?

One of these days, I want to pick up a 2nd 911, this one probably a 6MT cab. Just a dream at this point, though.
From what I've seen the PDK cars and cabs are going for less than MT cars with like options. I think the .1 cars will remain a great deal for the near future since so many were produced. It's a buyers market as such.
Old 12-26-2016 | 07:48 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

There was a very, very good thread on here earlier this week by Harteck in the U.K. ( Manchester). It is long and reads like a factory internal white paper. It does a very good job of explaining why it's only on one bank, various cylinder alloys in different years and nature of failure. Today I was scanning a L&N advertisement in the new Excellence. They do bore replacements also now. Not trying to start a dust up but I am curious if perhaps these two high end tech firms perhaps have a relationship and do the same thing?
The Hartech guys seem to have a quick turn and given the pound dollar rate their work would be tempting if had this problem. IF I ever am so unlucky I know I'll be headed to L&N or across the pond.
Old 12-26-2016 | 11:13 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

This is the thread on page 2
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ored-bore.html
Everything about bores you want to know X10.

Quick Reply: Are all MY 997.1 S 3.8s subject to scoring