Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition rev 6 and Kaboom?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd take the 2nd one... it looks like it was driven enthusiastically but no hard money shifts (except some range 4's but that happened quite a long time ago). The 1st one was just recently money shifted all the way up in range 6. To even consider a car with range 6's (no matter how it's recorded since no one actually knows the inner programming of the DME), you'd need to have way more operating hours on it before it's considered safe, and even then you might want to do a compression and leakdown test.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by scorcherjf
I'd take the 2nd one... it looks like it was driven enthusiastically but no hard money shifts (except some range 4's but that happened quite a long time ago). The 1st one was just recently money shifted all the way up in range 6. To even consider a car with range 6's (no matter how it's recorded since no one actually knows the inner programming of the DME), you'd need to have way more operating hours on it before it's considered safe, and even then you might want to do a compression and leakdown test.
No, this car was not money shifted to range 6. use your head. you can't have the same number number of ignitions in a single event in 2 categories. the lower category will always have a higher ignition count.

These single digit "overrevs" are computer errors, nothing more.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I am not so sure about this....... It counts "ignitions" and not revolutions in some band .... what if you let the clutch out but don't apply gas... and shoot the RPMs up into band 6? Most computers are smart to cut gas for mileage if nothing else. When you car coasts down a hill, you are in gear and you let off the gas and coast, the computer cuts gas..... so no ignitions????

I have tracked live values from my Durametric and the car accuratly tracks RPM, digitally. Why doesn't the computer track RPMs in these higher bands and only "ignitions"? If the engine is spinning in an upper range in a danger zone, why doesn't it just track RPMs and time? The data is certainly there.

This may be more complex than we think... the computer may be exactly correct and functioning properly. The problem may be in our understanding.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say. the computer tracks how many times the ignition fired at a certain rpm. if it just tracked rpm vs time you'd need an almost endless data storage facility and it would be useless for at a glance monitoring.

The system is fine
Old 12-14-2016, 11:12 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
No, this car was not money shifted to range 6. use your head. you can't have the same number number of ignitions in a single event in 2 categories. the lower category will always have a higher ignition count.

If you know for certain how it records overrevs, then they must be errors. If someone were accelerating and went down a gear at redline intending to go up a gear, yet only let out the clutch slightly but then clutched in asap, would it not be possible to record range 5-6 but not ranges 1-4 for example? I'm curious to know exactly how the DME records ignitions there.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:27 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like a glitch...
Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

If you know for certain how it records overrevs, then they must be errors. If someone were accelerating and went down a gear at redline intending to go up a gear, yet only let out the clutch slightly but then clutched in asap, would it not be possible to record range 5-6 but not ranges 1-4 for example? I'm curious to know exactly how the DME records ignitions there.
No. to get to range 5 and 6 the engine speed had to "travel through" the 1-4 range. there is no jumping of rpm
Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Look, I know I am deep in speculation land.... but isn't everyone here?

You could just count, like ignitions, the number of revolutions in a band. What is odd about the ignitions, is that you get three ignitions for every revolution, assuming you get spark every cycle.... I do know that cars in general "cut gas" when off the throttle, I am not sure about firing a plug when there is nothing to burn. Are the engineers more concerned about applying gas in those ranges or just the engine spinning up not under load?

I am skeptical of flukes or anomalies in these systems as engineers worked pretty hard to get anti-knock and other control systems down pat. I am just skeptical that because it may not make sense to us, that we can then conclude the data was bad.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Could be a missed shift.
Could be a glitch.
Could be a tune.
Could be a sign the DMW was laundered.

A DME Report is just one tool, of many, used to do your due diligence in the buying process.

You could always purchase a powertrain warranty as a hedge.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I am just starting to pay more attention to these threads.

Can anyone briefly explain what the different rev counts mean and how this is done?

I have hit my rev limiter a few times, but it then cuts ignition so one simply gets off the gas. How does one go into these high ranges when it should cut the ignition?
To partially answer your question, there is a reason that 1 and 2 over-revs are not considered particularly alarming by PAG. When you hit the Rev limiter there is a very, very short delay between when the ECU detects the limit and shuts off power. It isn't so much an electrical signaling issue as it is the mechanical response. So, if you bounce off the Rev limiter the corresponding delay will trigger a Range 1/2 over-rev. So Range 1/2s are pretty much to be expected (unless PAG lowers the point at which the limiter kicks in to allow for the delay).

On the practical side, why would anyone want to hit the rev-limiter? It seems to me that this is poor driving more than spirited driving. Hit the rev-limiter and your engine just down for a moment. How is this fun. It's like, "lets see how hard I can push my engine and I don't care if it shuts down". Accidents/inattention happens but a better driver, driving spiritedly, might hit the limiter much less frequently. Lots of Range 1 and 2s speak more about how the car was treated than if there is any damage. And if this is axiomatic, then a car with a lot of Range 1 and 2s might have other wear related issues associated with hard (poor) driving that you also ought to consider.

You can buy a car with lots of over-revs (X) or one with many fewer (X-Y). What you really need to do is ascertain how much more the fewer Range 1/2 is worth to your pocketbook, peace of mind and potential for future repairs.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:43 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by accelguy
Is this a better buy based only on the DME data?

ignition rev 1 20982/2225h
One note to mention here, this range #1 is getting very close to the maximum count limitation. Someone here will know what that hard number is, but this one is very-very close. FYI.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM
mleddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guessing that the count should be good till 32767.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:10 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
On the practical side, why would anyone want to hit the rev-limiter? It seems to me that this is poor driving more than spirited driving. Hit the rev-limiter and your engine just down for a moment.
My understanding is that selecting Sport mode (when you have SC option) changes the rev limiter characteristic so that ignition is not cut and you can "ride" the limiter. This could be advantageous for track days or autocross where a shift change would not be practical. I don't have sport chrono so I am only going by what I recall reading on RL.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:45 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
My understanding is that selecting Sport mode (when you have SC option) changes the rev limiter characteristic so that ignition is not cut and you can "ride" the limiter. This could be advantageous for track days or autocross where a shift change would not be practical. I don't have sport chrono so I am only going by what I recall reading on RL.
Exactly. There are some places on the track where it would be a waste of time to upshift then have to immediately downshift for the corner. I've hit the limiter and "ridden" it for a second or two and it still did not log any range 1 over revs. I have a durametric and checked before and after each track day and I know for a fact I hit the limiter.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:52 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is some DME over rev info just to peak at

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...tive-post.html
Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Exactly. There are some places on the track where it would be a waste of time to upshift then have to immediately downshift for the corner. I've hit the limiter and "ridden" it for a second or two and it still did not log any range 1 over revs. I have a durametric and checked before and after each track day and I know for a fact I hit the limiter.
Yep! Anyone that's spent time at Road America will hear cars banging the rev limiter all-day-long coming out of #5 up the hill into the left hander #6 at the top.

Quick Reply: Ignition rev 6 and Kaboom?