Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy interior LED conversion (with pics) from ECS. Is Suncoast's any better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017 | 10:12 PM
usafakid09
Advanced

Did you get any fault codes at all? Did you update the underwood light as well? I'm thinking the Philips LED lights are the way to go now...
Old 01-08-2017 | 10:23 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usafakid09
Did you get any fault codes at all? Did you update the underwood light as well? I'm thinking the Philips LED lights are the way to go now...
Good question. I replaced all the interior lights and have had zero issues or codes thrown since installation 2 weeks ago.

194 LED (7):
Doors x2
Footwell x2
Glovebox x1
Map x2

43mm LED (3):
Dome x1
Frunk x1
Engine x1

I think the cab and/or targa have some lights in the back seat footwells, but mine don't so I can't comment on that. Also, keep in mind that the 194LED are sold as a PAIR so you only need to buy 4 of them to get 7 bulbs and you'll still have a single bulb left over.

It's amazingly refreshing when there's a clearly superior product that's less expensive than others, it's it?! For the record, I was in no way compensated or influenced by Philips for this unbiased review. Also for the record, I have ordered lots of other things from both ECS and Suncoast and have had nothing but good experiences from both of them so I'm not just ******* them either. Both are top-notch vendors and I appreciate them sponsoring this forum. I'm just disappointed in their respective versions of this product. Cheers!
Old 01-08-2017 | 10:36 PM
usafakid09
Advanced

Originally Posted by Feelgood MD
Good question. I replaced all the interior lights and have had zero issues or codes thrown since installation 2 weeks ago.

194 LED (7):
Doors x2
Footwell x2
Glovebox x1
Map x2

43mm LED (3):
Dome x1
Frunk x1
Engine x1

I think the cab and/or targa have some lights in the back seat footwells, but mine don't so I can't comment on that. Also, keep in mind that the 194LED are sold as a PAIR so you only need to buy 4 of them to get 7 bulbs and you'll still have a single bulb left over.

It's amazingly refreshing when there's a clearly superior product that's less expensive than others, it's it?! For the record, I was in no way compensated or influenced by Philips for this unbiased review. Also for the record, I have ordered lots of other things from both ECS and Suncoast and have had nothing but good experiences from both of them so I'm not just ******* them either. Both are top-notch vendors and I appreciate them sponsoring this forum. I'm just disappointed in their respective versions of this product. Cheers!
Boom! You are the man. I really appreciate the honest review.
Old 01-11-2017 | 01:44 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Use the pbilipps bulbs for the plates. Nice color and brightness
Old 01-11-2017 | 04:42 PM
mreloc
Pro

Use the pbilipps bulbs for the plates. Nice color and brightness
Is it the same 43mm size festoon?

I'd changed my interior to the ebay kit, purple dots which I have grown fond of... but I think I'll switch to Philips to make it more polished looking. I also managed to pop the circuit in my glovebox when I was switching bulbs- I bought the replacement harness since there's not a fuse, so I need to get that tackled next time I'm in the mood to take out the glovebox :/
Old 01-11-2017 | 06:50 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

I actually do not like the usual led bulbs for the interior. Too bright and tacky looking. Takes out the class, imho . I just changed the reading lamps door lamps and frunk light and the plates. And for these I used the Philips LEDs. More expensive but classier lights. The interior lights stay incandescent... Somewhat like a house with daylight and warm colored bulbs. Now let's hope they come out with warm colored led bulbs.
Old 01-11-2017 | 06:51 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Yes Philips has the 43mm festoon that has a white somewhat translucent cover that makes for the class color and no spots.
Old 01-11-2017 | 07:46 PM
TurnOne
Advanced

I did mine from Amazon bulbs. I have a cobalt blue with sea blue interior. Only notice the disco spots on the floorboards and thought it didn't look too bad. Thought of them as more blue looking and assuming it's the way the oem lens interacts with the light output from the LED.
I have a draw full of them in my toolbox and generally order a few extras expecting some to fail and to have leftovers to test in other cars. I own too many vehicles.

They run so much cooler. I really hate the thought of how hot the housings get. Seems an easy way to make the lens and housings last longer.

I ordered the suncoast license plate housings.

Anyways thanks for the links as I'll likely swap the two to get rid of that.

I usually use this site to help me determine what bulbs to order.
https://www.osram-americas.com/en-us...s/lrgmain.aspx
Old 01-14-2017 | 07:56 AM
rhinoman
Cruisin'

Thanks for sharing the info, just placed an order for some bulbs.
Old 04-27-2019 | 10:37 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Guys - the philips ones are a color temp of 6000K. They're not too blue? Looking at the Vleds otherwise.
Old 04-28-2019 | 05:43 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

FWIW I sourced mine from this place: uspmotorsports.com

no issues whatsoever, and i like the OP upgraded just because it makes my 12 year old car look more modern. Love the LED hue 100x better that the halogen bulb. I also have LED front park lights for the look, and some day will switch the rears... just too many projects pending.
Old 05-10-2019 | 10:17 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Found these on Amazon. I haven't tried them. They claim 5X brighter than OEM bulbs, but they are 4000k for anyone wanting the warm ones. Might be a good idea to buy one package and try them. Nice to see that more 4000k LEDs are becoming available.
Old 05-11-2019 | 11:37 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Led advantage over filament is just colour temperature. Ask your wife what she prefers to look at herself in and she will say warm white I bet. So don't ask your wife....but keep in mind you look worse under that 6500k light too.
Personally I refuse to change out my lights. I have bizenon heads which I like but I differ from a lot......I like the stock 997 tail lights. Led lights to me were super cool when Audi were the main and first users but now that every hyundai and kia has them (and everyone else)....."won't even go near that trashy stuff." Heard that on springer a few times.
But hey...if suncoast makes the better aftermarket led....let it be known.
Old 05-12-2019 | 02:05 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

I just installed the Vleds options. Not quite as bright as I was hoping, but 5000K so good color temp. I can however say that the vled 194 will not fit the footwell light modules. Firstly they will also show the "blue dot pattern" that others have seen, and secondly they have a conductive AL ring that will not work with that fixture. I should have gone for the frosted philips as above all round.
Old 05-13-2019 | 04:52 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Philips Ultinon LED

Quick Reply: Crappy interior LED conversion (with pics) from ECS. Is Suncoast's any better?