Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shine on my black car

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I say start with a nice wash and good claying, go over that with a nice pure carnuba wax, and top off with a synthetic polish or sealant, keep a good detailer in the car and go over it to keep that sheen up, and my last bit of advise on a black car, make sure you have only clean towels in the car, and try not to do too much, somehow it's better if you touch the paint less frequently. Blackfire or Pinnacle are excellent brands.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Black is not a color, it' a full time job!
Fixed it for you.

OP, when it comes to product selection, you'll get as many answers as there are stars in the sky. I suggest you start with the basics... .

The first thing you should consider is, how bad is the paint you've got now? Is your dissatisfaction with your black paint the result of it just not being clean and shiny enough or do you actually have issues in your paint that require remediation?

Did the PO just never wash the car and the paint is embedded with crud? If so, a clay bar might be the remedy.

Is the paint covered in swirl marks or even scratches? If so, your fix needs to include some buffing--but with what? How bad are the swirls? How deep are the scratches?

We can't really address your question until we know what you're dealing with.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basalt Black Metallic never looks as deep as regular Black, so be careful when comparing side by side
Old 12-12-2016, 04:24 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I say start with a nice wash and good claying, go over that with a nice pure carnuba wax, and top off with a synthetic polish or sealant, keep a good detailer in the car and go over it to keep that sheen up, and my last bit of advise on a black car, make sure you have only clean towels in the car, and try not to do too much, somehow it's better if you touch the paint less frequently. Blackfire or Pinnacle are excellent brands.
Carnuba and then sealant doesn't make much sense. Sealant provides longer protection and wont bond well if u have carnuba already on. Some guys put carnuba AFTER sealant as they say it gives a deeper look - tried it once and couldn't see any difference.

Anyways this was covered in a very recent thread and everyones got a different opinion on products.

OP, go the autogeek site or equivalent where there are actual detailing pros. Read a ton then decide what makes sense for you. Since your in TO come out for one of the runs or drop by to discuss
Old 12-12-2016, 05:03 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I tried both ways, carnuba before and after with and without synthetic on top, and I found that with just a top layer of carnuba it looks nice, but is a magnet for dust and pollen, most waxes and polishes can be layered, and Blackfire recommends:

BLACKFIRE paint care system, which consists of washing, claying, polishing, sealing, and waxing

feel free to try both and decide for yourself
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mzsaad
guys, thanks for the responses so far.
Planning to use: Meguiar's M2 Mirror Glaze Fine-Cut Cleaner
Then: Meguiar's M26 Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
However, thinking if i should get it professionally done for the first time like Raven 666 saying then start doing myself?

Thanks Irisheyes. I looked at ammo nyc videos on youtube. He made detailing a science. Seems like I will spoil my car if I try to detail it myself. He even says not to Clay and Compound the car unless its required. Not I am not sure if I need it or not. Only an expert can tell I guess.

Thanks Para82. I will look into Zaino products too. Can you please tell me which Zaino product are you using?
M26 doesn't last long but looks great on a black car. I still have some, but waxing my car every 3 months isn't ideal for me. If it is for you, have at it, if not, I would look at a longer lasting sealant
Old 12-13-2016, 01:59 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Black is not a color, it' a hobby!
Thank you!!! This is my new mantra 8)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:02 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Carnuba and then sealant doesn't make much sense. Sealant provides longer protection and wont bond well if u have carnuba already on. Some guys put carnuba AFTER sealant as they say it gives a deeper look - tried it once and couldn't see any difference.

Anyways this was covered in a very recent thread and everyones got a different opinion on products.

OP, go the autogeek site or equivalent where there are actual detailing pros. Read a ton then decide what makes sense for you. Since your in TO come out for one of the runs or drop by to discuss
Not only go to the Autogeek site, call them and ask for technical assistance. They are excellent and will guide you to solutions while allowing you to part with some $$$. But you will be happy.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
Basalt Black Metallic never looks as deep as regular Black, so be careful when comparing side by side
how do i know my black is regular or basalt?
i bought touchup paint from a local dealership. they asked for my VIN (to figure out the color) and gave me black.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Basalt black has some light metal flake in it. Hard to see at times but it's there. Once you see black and basalt black side to side you easily see the difference. It sparkles some and in sunlight really pops out when it's clean. I used the maguiers products you mentioned and it worked well. I wax every month or so to keep it fresh. Detailersdomain.com has good products. Go see how much Swisswax products are....one small tub of the highest one cost 1k. Yes that is 1000 dollars for just a tub of wax.....
Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 AM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a black 2008 c2. being 8 years old, the paint needed some TLC, so i gave it a 2 step polish. this pic is after a wash, clay bar, compound with meguiars 105 on a lake country orange pad, polish with meguiars 205 on a lake country black pad, 3 coats of klasse high gloss sealant, and a coat of wax. the paint was super smooth after i was done and had a great deep shine. if you have any questions about doing it yourself, let me know. i find auto detailing to be very relaxing and the experience is rewarding when you're done.

Name:  eYYi8Ob.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  96.2 KB
Old 12-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3point8
car looks great! btw
thanks
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Griots Products, but for me it's the prep that determines the final result.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Originally Posted by killacam
i have a black 2008 c2. being 8 years old, the paint needed some TLC, so i gave it a 2 step polish. this pic is after a wash, clay bar, compound with meguiars 105 on a lake country orange pad, polish with meguiars 205 on a lake country black pad, 3 coats of klasse high gloss sealant, and a coat of wax. the paint was super smooth after i was done and had a great deep shine. if you have any questions about doing it yourself, let me know. i find auto detailing to be very relaxing and the experience is rewarding when you're done.

very nice.
3 coats of sealant? isnt it an overkill?
which wax you use?
Old 12-14-2016, 12:08 PM
killacam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 coats give it a nice hard shine while finishing it with carnuba wax gives it a warm glow. in this pic i used zymol wax but i've switched over to chemical guys butter wet wax.

Quick Reply: Shine on my black car