Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

currently the "best" clear bra? 3M, Xpel, Suntek or Nano fusion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Auto Armour just installed the Xpel on my 997 last month. It included the front bumper, full hood, fenders, headlights, turn signals, mirrors, door handle cups, remove replace the stone guard and the rear fender splash guard area. They do a lot of Porsche's and offer a PCA SDR discount so it was a done deal.

They wrapped the film around the edges of the hood and fender. So unless you look at a specific angle and up close, it's very difficult to tell that there is a PPF. It was additional to have the bumper removed and wrapped around so around the grille and headlight cups is where the cuts were made.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:05 PM
bdmridgback
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
3M clear bra was installed on my 05 997S in 2010 - Still looks great
How many miles of sunlight does it get a year and that will answer how long it has lasted. Also try removing it. From experience, the removal of your film after 10 years is going to be expensive and time consuming. All these PPF films are designed to be removed in 5-7 years and reapplied. None of the films are designed to be "pealed off" after 8-10 years. They usually have to be scraped off or removed with a machine. Also I bet that your film is yellowed as well. I had a white 2017 Toyota Tundra come in about 6 months ago that he had just bought 30 days prior and had his 3M paperwork with him at my shop and asked me if the film was supposed to be yellowing already! 3M film yellows badly. On top of it, 3M doesn't make the film, they buy the plastic from another PPF manufacturer and put their adhesive on it.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM
QATD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bdmridgback
3M doesn't make the film, they buy the plastic from another PPF manufacturer and put their adhesive on it.
Actually, 3M is only one of four or five companies worldwide that make their own film. Where 3M's manufacturing differs is they do not sell the product to other companies for rebranding. What is made at 3M stays at 3M. They do license their adhesive products to be used on other products, such as 3M double-sided tape on plastic body side moldings, but I have personally visited their R&D labs and can tell you firsthand that it is designed and manufactured in the US. If you ever get a chance to come to SEMA, you can meet one or two of the engineers in person.

As far as the yellowing, I have seen every manufacturer's film yellow at different rates and even between different lot numbers. However, it is covered under most warranties, including 3M's warranty. The only exception would be the Ventureshield line of film, which is manufactured by 3M. It's a basic urethane film with no protective clear coat, and as such has no warranty against yellowing. Many shops that use on cars do so for cost reasons, but it's widely used in commercial applications where yellowing is not really a concern. Venturshield is a 3M product, but it's not guaranteed not to yellow. Just because somebody says it's 3M, doesn't guarantee it will never yellow. It has to be designed not to yellow and it has to be in the warranty.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 PM
bdmridgback
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by QATD
Actually, 3M is only one of four or five companies worldwide that make their own film. Where 3M's manufacturing differs is they do not sell the product to other companies for rebranding. What is made at 3M stays at 3M. They do license their adhesive products to be used on other products, such as 3M double-sided tape on plastic body side moldings, but I have personally visited their R&D labs and can tell you firsthand that it is designed and manufactured in the US. If you ever get a chance to come to SEMA, you can meet one or two of the engineers in person.

As far as the yellowing, I have seen every manufacturer's film yellow at different rates and even between different lot numbers. However, it is covered under most warranties, including 3M's warranty. The only exception would be the Ventureshield line of film, which is manufactured by 3M. It's a basic urethane film with no protective clear coat, and as such has no warranty against yellowing. Many shops that use on cars do so for cost reasons, but it's widely used in commercial applications where yellowing is not really a concern. Venturshield is a 3M product, but it's not guaranteed not to yellow. Just because somebody says it's 3M, doesn't guarantee it will never yellow. It has to be designed not to yellow and it has to be in the warranty.

"....that it is designed and manufactured in the US"

But not by 3M. I have been installing PPF since the beginning...a very long time. The last 14 years in Florida, where the best of the best films get the biggest *** kicking, worse than anywhere else in the states! 3M film is junk in South Florida, junk! It's not even a 5 year film on a non garage kept vehicle down here. There is no sweet talking it.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:46 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Xpel Ultimate on the front of my 2012 C2S. Could not be more pleased with the appearance and the protection provided by this clear film.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:11 PM
QATD
Former Vendor

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with the 3M film bdmridgback. When was the last time you tried the Pro Series film? I would love to connect you with the distributor in Florida to give it another shot. I 100% agree with you that Florida is the proving ground for all films, which is why 3M redesigned the latest version of Pro Series. 3M stiffened up the clear coat and adhesive to combat the harsh heat and humidity, and we have been having a ton of success. Just let me know if you'd like to try it. I think you will be surprised.

Last edited by QATD; 03-27-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:57 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Say Yes to PPF

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Auto Armour just installed the Xpel on my 997 last month. It included the front bumper, full hood, fenders, headlights, turn signals, mirrors, door handle cups, remove replace the stone guard and the rear fender splash guard area. They do a lot of Porsche's and offer a PCA SDR discount so it was a done deal.

They wrapped the film around the edges of the hood and fender. So unless you look at a specific angle and up close, it's very difficult to tell that there is a PPF. It was additional to have the bumper removed and wrapped around so around the grille and headlight cups is where the cuts were made.
Originally Posted by BER
I have Xpel Ultimate on the front of my 2012 C2S. Could not be more pleased with the appearance and the protection provided by this clear film.
Thank you for choosing XPEL to protect your Porsche. We are extremely familiar with the Porsche brand and many of our employees drive them as well. Let us know if we can help in any way or answer any questions.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:08 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Originally Posted by bdmridgback
How many miles of sunlight does it get a year and that will answer how long it has lasted. Also try removing it. From experience, the removal of your film after 10 years is going to be expensive and time consuming. All these PPF films are designed to be removed in 5-7 years and reapplied. None of the films are designed to be "pealed off" after 8-10 years. They usually have to be scraped off or removed with a machine. Also I bet that your film is yellowed as well. I had a white 2017 Toyota Tundra come in about 6 months ago that he had just bought 30 days prior and had his 3M paperwork with him at my shop and asked me if the film was supposed to be yellowing already! 3M film yellows badly. On top of it, 3M doesn't make the film, they buy the plastic from another PPF manufacturer and put their adhesive on it.
My 3M has absolutely no yellowing at all and still looks like new & very difficult to even see where the clear bra seam is located - No lifting/peeling or discoloration at all.
Car has been garaged it's entire life. Looks excellent and receipt showed $3000 cost in 2010. 2 months ago I dropped by local high-end Seattle detailing shop - Shop was just removing 13 year old 3M bra with ease - heat gun peeled it off easily. Saw with my own eyes
Front bumper/fenders and mirrors covered in 3M - wish I had a higher resolution photo:

Last edited by groovzilla; 03-27-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:44 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Took the 911 and the CaymanS to the Xpel factory in San Antonio for complete frontal installation of Xpel Ultimate. The thick clear coat it is certainly doing its job well. Like Florida, south Texas is hot and humid and considered an "extreme" weather zone for car manufacturers. (no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 PM
QATD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
My 3M has absolutely no yellowing at all and still looks like new & very difficult to even see where the clear bra seam is located - No lifting/peeling or discoloration at all.
Car has been garaged it's entire life. Looks excellent and receipt showed $3000 cost in 2010. 2 months ago I dropped by local high-end Seattle detailing shop - Shop was just removing 13 year old 3M bra with ease - heat gun peeled it off easily. Saw with my own eyes
Front bumper/fenders and mirrors covered in 3M - wish I had a higher resolution photo:
Beautiful car groovzilla! I'm glad to hear the 3M film has worked well for you.

It definitely looks like the industry is going toward full hood/full fenders as a standard package and then upselling full car wraps. Of course it does depend on the market.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,704 Posts

Originally Posted by QATD
Beautiful car groovzilla! I'm glad to hear the 3M film has worked well for you.

It definitely looks like the industry is going toward full hood/full fenders as a standard package and then upselling full car wraps. Of course it does depend on the market.
Thank you! The Atlas grey is a color I've always loved but so hard to find in any 911 model.
**And BTW, my car lived in Houston Tx. prior to my purchase in Dec 2017

All the best!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:44 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

I’m having the wife’s Macan S clear bra done with Suntek as recommended by my detailer. He’s worked with Xpel and Ultimate and recommends Suntek. He only does high end cars and has had issues with Xpel with orange peel and delamination. I have trusted him for going on 20 years and he has never steered me wrong. This is the first clear bra on any of my present or past vehicles so it’s a first for me. He has done all the “nano coating” however....:
Old 03-27-2018, 06:48 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BER
Ditto...T
Old 03-28-2018, 09:38 AM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Another vote here for Xpel. I found a fantastic installer which always makes a difference as well.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:15 AM
Clubber
Racer

Received 451 Likes on 98 Posts

I use STEK Dynoshield. Super happy with it. Invisible to the eye but also adds a layer of clear finish making the car almost wet. ZERO orange peel and self healing film.

If there is any residue from bird dropping or tree honey, clean it and leave under sun and it disappears.

Quick Reply: currently the "best" clear bra? 3M, Xpel, Suntek or Nano fusion?