Shift Boot Frame Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:20 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shift Boot Frame Question

Hi all. New guy, first post.

I am about to install a Function Fisrt shift **** and a new shift boot. The new boot does not have the frame, just a ragged edge on the bottom. Is the old frame removable and reusable or do I need to order a new frame. If I need a new one, does anyone have a part number or source?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-27-2016, 03:52 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmm. Dunno. Im sure there are plenty of removal articles if you google it. Prolly easy to disassemble and re-glue. Give it a try, I just removed the PCM and surrounds in a few minutes with some online vids today. Nothing is hard if you take a few minutes to do some research and forge ahead.

Good luck, you will be happy with the results.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:18 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find anything online, but it turns out its an easy install. The old gator is stapled to the plastic frame with, what has to be, the worlds shortest staples. They are easily removed and the old gator separates easily. I couldn't reuse the old staples, but attached the new gator with hot glue. The hot glue isn't strong enough to permanently bond the leather to the frame, so if you make a mistake you can peel it off and reattach it. But it holds it well enough to install it back in the car. For reference, a new gator frame isn't required and the old one is reusable.

Quick Reply: Shift Boot Frame Question