Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st track day - HOD HPDE or Speed Ventures?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:29 PM
K5150
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st track day - HOD HPDE or Speed Ventures?

I was going to sign up for a track day (my first) with Speed Ventures, but then as I was reading through some of the threads on track days on this forum, saw people recommending a HPDE course instead. So in the socal region, there are a couple of options coming up:

1. Speed Ventures - Streets of Willow Springs, $149 for early sign-up + $90 for 2 sessions of in-car instruction
2. Hooked on Driving - HDPE course, Buttonwillow 13 Clockwise, $340

My objectives are to enjoy a day on the track, explore the limits of the car (and my own) and to learn in a safe, well-run event. Speed Ventures seemed to be well reviewed here, as was HOD (though most of the comments were for NorCal events). Any suggestions or recommendations between the above two options?

Cheers,
-K
Old 11-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally recommend a PCA HPDE for a first timer. Speed Ventures beginner group can be pretty 'wild'.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I hear that HOD is a well run group, although pricey. Speed ventures, I have no experience with but I find most of the cheaper outfits are a little wild in the lower rungs. PCA, can't go wrong.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:43 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Speed Ventures is a great group to run with. I've always had great experiences running with them. I also run HPDE with NASA in the Rocky Mountain Region. Never got to NASA in SoCal, but have heard good things. I'd also give a +1 to PCA HPDE.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-08-2016, 12:49 PM
K5150
Track Day

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Speed Ventures is a great group to run with. I've always had great experiences running with them. I also run HPDE with NASA in the Rocky Mountain Region. Never got to NASA in SoCal, but have heard good things. I'd also give a +1 to PCA HPDE.
Where can I find out about PCA courses? On their website, they don't have any listings for events in SoCal (LA) region:

https://www.pca.org/instructor-training-clinic-schedule
Old 11-08-2016, 01:36 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure, but what I would do is give them a call and ask them about specifics: https://www.pca.org/contact.

Also, have you checked out the new Porsche Experience Center in Carson? I'd maybe look into doing something with them as well (not sure on pricing though) and ask to have Mark Hotchkis as your instructor.

Info: https://www.porschedriving.com/porsc...ng-experiences
Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

I just did a PCA/PBOC event in Homestead. It was awesome! No passing in turns and you have to waved by on the straights...
Old 11-08-2016, 02:12 PM
m3pete
Intermediate

I have no experience with Speedventures but I have instructed for HOD in the past. They are a good group for first timers as they provide an in car instructor for you all day. They are a bit pricey but the cars at these events are usually higher end ones. I don't have experience with PCA but I don't think you can go wrong with that.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I recommend HOD (hooked on driving) above all other groups.
https://www.hookedondriving.com/index.cfm?
It is a national group and where I started...
( they run tracks all over the nation )

I travel a lot and love experiencing new tracks so its a plus to be with the same group.
second,
they are the most professional group I have run with...

I also like running with COMMA - GREAT FIRST EXPERIENCE with advance and intermediate group with them.

I've had mixed feelings about running with the PCA...
PCA experience varies by group. PCA ahem.... is the only group where I had someone almost hit my car (Boxster GTS) and someone in (914) wouldn't let me pass only to spin out infront of me and my friends 911. (lovely go pro videos remind me of it every time I think I will run with PCA again)
needless to say I don't run with that local PCA anymore (I'm not talking about warbonnet they are great - wish we got the sheriff track back for autocross).
PCA at Hallet = eh we didn't see that brake bombing you into the corner (think foza driver)... okay finally we will black flag the guy... wait what's a blue flag?!?!?! we use those?

Last edited by snake eyes; 11-08-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 AM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

I've been to 2 Hooked On Driving events (including my first hpde) and I can tell you they are run very well! Like others have said you get an instructor all day in the car with you to help you learn the line (and also to continually tell you to "look up"). You also get class time between sessions that help you understand the track and driving concepts like weight transfer and braking.

If this is your first time I can definitely recommend HOD. I think they have a club membership fee now though which is kind of a drag..they didn't have that when I was running with them. Sadly, they don't run in my area anymore due to change in branch ownership here in the midwest.

I have not run with PCA or Speed Ventures (don't have SV in the midwest).

Edit: forgot I have a video from my first HPDE put on by HOD back when I was rolling the challenger. It's mostly just a lap on the track...
Old 11-09-2016, 02:16 AM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven in a few HOD events in the lower groups. They have well-run events that I feel are relatively safe. I haven't done Speed Ventures, but my impression has always been that they are more run like open track days (a bit riskier) than the HPDE style events that HOD runs.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:40 AM
sako
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with HOD, PCA, Audi, or BMW hpde events with bmw and PCA being the top. I started with BMW cca about 3 years ago and I feel they are the best for learning and getting you ready for racing (if so desired). I have run with nasa and other groups and i feel bmw cca has made my speed and situational awareness exceptional.

I feel very comfortable running with any group and don't worry about bringing my car home in one piece. Btw I am in so cal and buttonwillow is one of the best tracks with the least walls in addition to chuckwalla, so less chance of damaging your car if God forbid something should happen.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:10 PM
FFSstavros
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an fairly recent HPDE driver, I'd suggest PCA to get started for one very specific reason - drivers with very similar cars and investment in those cars are on the track. In the entry-level groups, I'd hypothesize that two owners with $$$ invested in their cars have similar concern about incident versus a 997.2 GTS (unicorn) and a guy with a 'recently built up miata' (not that there is anything wrong with that).

(Your region may be quite different)
Old 11-09-2016, 12:45 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sako
I would start with HOD, PCA, Audi, or BMW hpde events with bmw and PCA being the top. I started with BMW cca about 3 years ago and I feel they are the best for learning and getting you ready for racing (if so desired). I have run with nasa and other groups and i feel bmw cca has made my speed and situational awareness exceptional.

I feel very comfortable running with any group and don't worry about bringing my car home in one piece. Btw I am in so cal and buttonwillow is one of the best tracks with the least walls in addition to chuckwalla, so less chance of damaging your car if God forbid something should happen.
The problem is that all these "club" groups vary by region. As much as they try to be the same, they are not.

My two cents:
1.) Try to find a group with a number of other novices, ask the registrar to see how many have signed up so far
2.) Make sure you'll have an instructor all day (quality is a crap shoot but prob better than no one)
3.) Don't worry about the others on track, meaning don't drive your mirrors the entire track. At the beginning of the longest straight, check your rear and let everyone pass you . You can mash the pedal and go fast on the highway . There's no skill in that.
4.) Drive to what you are comfortable with, don't try to go fast. If you get frustrated or the overload is too much, pit out and compose yourself or just end the session early. There's no shame it that.
5.) Attach a "NOVICE" sticker or sign in the back of your car, everyone started somewhere so don't be embarrassed. This at least tells anyone behind you that you are a Novice and they should understand that letting them pass isn't a priority you're just trying to make it around the track with the shiny side up!
6.) Have fun
7.) Post in the DE forum
Old 11-10-2016, 01:02 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 10-26-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st track day - HOD HPDE or Speed Ventures?