Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what products and procedure you guys use for DETAILING 997?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 03:03 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I won't get into suggestions on particular detailing products as that can turn threads sideways in a heartbeat.

I will, however, comment on one item you listed in your original post. You mentioned washing with a strong detergent to "clean the paint".

The only time you want to wash with a strong detergent is when you are stripping the paint of all contaminants and prior wax/sealant products. For this, most detailers recommend Dawn liquid dishwashing soap. It strips most waxes and polishes and cuts through grease better than any other soap I've ever tried.

BUT, once you do that, clay bar and then seal your paint, you DO NOT want to use a strong detergent to wash the car regularly. For regular washes, use a mild soap that is specifically made for cars.

Because, like you, I like to use only one brand of product on my car at a time, I don't use car washing soaps that say they contain wax ("Washes and Waxes in One Step!"). I just use a mild soap that foams well and will lift the dirt up and lubricate the paint as I wash. A mild soap like this will not strip the wax or sealant you worked so hard to apply. Once your wax or sealant base is applied, as long as it's in good shape, it won't take much detergent action to clean dirt and grime off of the car.

HTH, James.
this is why I say do it one time and after that its pointless. after you have a good wax you are just re washing it off again. I use meguires crystal because it doesnt strip wax
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...i4SEyhpXgm2.97

has no fillers, silicones etc. This is what I use on my Matte paint too
Old 11-04-2016, 02:21 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Some clarification. Yes, I use dawn to "clean the paint" only when I want to strip everything!!! Otherwise I use a normal car soap without any waxes that won't strip the wax (allegedly).

I could practice on my wife's Audi or I could do it on our Honda Pilot 3rd car that I drive a few days a week, but it might be a totally different type of paint.

Is a better/safer solution to just buff by hand since the 911 is so small anyways?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
i'd say your clay/compound/polish is a little redundant , taking into account youve already done this once, the normal should be;
wash, try mequires crystal car wash
polish, dont know what you are using but a good quality polish should be fine
wax, like meguires 26

unless theres some spot or area thats got some odd material on it since the last wax job, youre not getting anything else off the paint and theres not any reason to re strip it
How is that redundant?

Compound and polish serve different purposes. A compound will remove major defects but leaves swirls and haze, polish levels the swirls and leaves a high gloss. A polish will not remove major paint defects and a compound will not give you the best shine.

Clay, on the other hand, is completely different. It's for removing bonded contaminants.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:15 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

I don't know of a single car wash soap that fully removes a good coating of wax or sealant, not even Dawn. That's just marketing hype in either direction, won't strip (which is true, period) or does strip (to a small percentage, but not fully). That's unless the wax or sealant is already broken down from UV or weather. Put it this way, if a soap is capable or stripping your LSP (last step product; wax or sealant), your LSP wasn't doing a particularly good job at anything in the first place.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Very simple, hand wash gently and every 90-100 days I apply Zaino brand show car polish by hand and buff out with a soft cotton cloth.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:40 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

it results in a better pattern to use a orbital polisher than to use hands , but it takes alot of practice to get it right. It may do more harm than good to start as a first timer with a machine. Keep in mind with any compound that is abrasive you are taking off paint, just like fine sandpaper, if you take too much, thats it, its done for good. Its safer to use a machine with wax and maybe after some practice to use with polish.
In a body shop it takes months or years before they let a new man touch a buffer, its the same results with orbital polishers and compounds and polishes
Old 11-04-2016, 01:42 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
it results in a better pattern to use a orbital polisher than to use hands , but it takes alot of practice to get it right. It may do more harm than good to start as a first timer with a machine. Keep in mind with any compound that is abrasive you are taking off paint, just like fine sandpaper, if you take too much, thats it, its done for good. Its safer to use a machine with wax and maybe after some practice to use with polish.
In a body shop it takes months or years before they let a new man touch a buffer, its the same results with orbital polishers and compounds and polishes
That's why you should use a random orbital not a true direct drive polisher. With a ROM its tough to do much damage - with a direct drive, not too tough

There are tons of video's on ROM's and they really are quite easy to use - safely

I have a Flex which is not the cheapest but have had it for 6 years and lots of polishes and have found it to be a good investment
Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 PM
js916
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this article on a local detailer's web site when I was researching who to have re-do my clear bra. Seems like pretty solid advice. (No affiliation.)

http://appearancesolutions.net/aftercare.html
Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
That's why you should use a random orbital not a true direct drive polisher. With a ROM its tough to do much damage - with a direct drive, not too tough

There are tons of video's on ROM's and they really are quite easy to use - safely

I have a Flex which is not the cheapest but have had it for 6 years and lots of polishes and have found it to be a good investment
and I assume you are talking about the really nice/expensive ones, not the $39 sears special? (I actually have one of those cheap ones my dad gave me way back, but never bothered to use it)
Old 11-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Charlie Plitt
5th Gear

All products are from Palm Beach Motoring Group .. (http://autogeek.net)

- P21S Wheel Cleaner
- SONAX Rim Shield AEROSOL
- Pinnacle Car Soap
- Pinnacle Foam Cannon
- McKee's 37 Xtreme Iron Remover
- Pinnacle Clay Bar and Clay Bar Lube
- Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant
- Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax
- Rag Top Fabric Cleaner for Convertable Top
- GYEON Q2 Fabric Coat
- Pinnacle Exhaust Cleaner & Brightener
- Pinnacle Plastic Cleaner
- Pinnacle Leather Cleaner
- Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Conditioner
- Pinnacle Glass Cleaner
- Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant with Rain Repellent
- Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray
- Porter Cable 7424xp DA polisher
- Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Conditioner
- Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
- Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover
Old 11-04-2016, 07:11 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
and I assume you are talking about the really nice/expensive ones, not the $39 sears special? (I actually have one of those cheap ones my dad gave me way back, but never bothered to use it)
Yes. The Flex is at least 10x that but it has a powerful motor etc. The cheap ones just don't have the power to do a good job and are not worth it at all (my apologies to your father )
Old 11-04-2016, 07:39 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Yes. The Flex is at least 10x that but it has a powerful motor etc. The cheap ones just don't have the power to do a good job and are not worth it at all (my apologies to your father )
LOL, maybe there is a reason he gave it away?

Are any of the $100-150 porter cable units worth using, or is it $400 or nothing?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:51 PM
GFCOFNJ
Intermediate

Default Chadwick's Triple Play

Chadwick's Triple Play had great reviews so I grabbed some off their website. From now on won't use anything else. Easy to use and easy to maintain. Can be used on the entire car. Car looks fantastic. They sell the product in various container sizes. I bought a gal. plus the accessories (micro towels, sponges, etc). There is a video on the website that shows how to use the product.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Even a direct drive Flex 3401 random orbital would have a difficult time burning paint. If you have ever held a rotary and random orbital to paint for a short period of time, you would know the difference in heat they generate. I own a Flex 3401 orbital and a Flex PE-14 rotary.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Originally Posted by rodH
LOL, maybe there is a reason he gave it away?

Are any of the $100-150 porter cable units worth using, or is it $400 or nothing?
No, the Porter Cable 7424XP is NOT worth getting. If you want cheap, you can get a Harbor Freight dual action polisher for a third the price (if you have a good coupon code) but it has probably 40% more power. Be sure to replace the backing plate that came with the machine since they are not true and will eat up your foam pads. And make sure you grease the gear mechanism with high temp wheel bearing grease prior to using it. The reason i don't like using these cheap orbitals is because they're very buzzy. After hours of polishing, you will lose feeling in your hands.

I have a Flex PE-14 rotary to make quick work of the compounding process, the Flex 3401 for polishing and finishing, and the Rupes Nano for the tight areas. That setup is able to handle any type of paint i may come across.

Quick Reply: what products and procedure you guys use for DETAILING 997?