Sponsored by:

997.2 Sport and Sport Plus settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM
dhtexas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.2 Sport and Sport Plus settings

Hi everyone. First post here on the forum.

Looking to get a 997.2 (2009-2010) for my wife who has wanted a 911 her whole life. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding 911's so hoping to get some information from the more informed membership here.

Looking at all the for sale ads it seems like cars with the Sport and Sport Plus settings are more competitively priced than those without. Is that because along with PASM they have a harsher ride than many potential buyers prefer?

Also if you get the PDK transmission and the sport chrono package does that mean the car will necessarily have PASM?

Hope my questions make sense. Any insight and / or additional information is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:21 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dhtexas
Also if you get the PDK transmission and the sport chrono package does that mean the car will necessarily have PASM?
Welcome to the madness

Answering one of your questions; the 997.2 Carrera Base (non-S) with PDK and sport chrono package doesn't come standard with PASM. It was optional for the base model. It is very rare to find a base model with PASM. I have never see one.

All 997.2 S models come standard with PASM. (S guys feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
Old 10-17-2016, 06:23 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Sport and sport plus let you firm up the ride but you don't necessarily have to use it. I think these options make the car more attractive for most buyers

And yes

re more info, you will get any answer to any question here but better to spend time searching and reading a lot first so you don't start off with "what oil should I use"

cheers
Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

If you see this button, the car has PASM.
* PASM = Porsche Active Suspension Management

Old 10-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 997.2, C4S with PDK,
Sport activates, the sport setting on auto shifting in a more performance oriented manner and better throttle response and PASM is also activated, but i deactivate it as its too bouncy.
if pass shifter to manual, then you have to change gears manually.

Sport Plus activated, same as above but in auto shifting, it will only up shift at redline, so move shifter to manual, and control all the shifting.

PASM can be deactivated or activated in any mode, but very bouncy. not harsh.

I find a C4S supprsingly very good on our Montreal very bad streets without PASM activated.
The following users liked this post:
mdfud (05-07-2020)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:07 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a base 997.2 with PASM. It might be the most important option available. It allows the car to be very comfortable on rough roads with PASM off, and it firms up both compression and rebound damping for best handling when switched on. On rough roads, PASM 'on' can get tiresome on a longer trip.

Don't buy a car without it! :-)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 210 Likes on 142 Posts

I would not buy a 997.2 or newer 911 without PASM. You want to get sport chrono on a PDK car. You can add the sport functions after the fact if you find the perfect car without sport chrono.

It will make the car easier to sell later with both those functions, even if you never use them. Though I use mine every single time I drive the car. Makes things a lot more interesting and fun. Both PASM and sport chrono add adjustability to the car.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 245 Posts

In a nutshell, a 997.2 with PDK will not necessarily have PASM. To see if it has PASM, just look for the button at the bottom of the center stack with the shock absorber on it. If no button, no PASM.

I have a base with Sport Chrono. I rarely use Sport Plus but thoroughly enjoy driving in Sport mode. I have driven a PDK 997 and 991 with and without Sport Chrono. I would not buy a PDK car without Sport Chrono. I have driven a 997 and 991 with PASM and without. I really liked PASM but could do without it if the rest of the car's options were to my liking.

My base (PDK, Sport Chrono, non-PASM) is a daily driver. I like the ride just fine. At the risk of sounding sexist, unless your wife drives like me, she won't appreciate the extra money you might spend to get PASM. I have a good friend who bought his wife a 997.2 S. The car has almost every option. I tutored her on all of the car's features when she got it (he told me she would not listen to him). She was attentive and seemed to understand everything I said. Now, two years later, she just told me she's never pushed the Sport, Sport Plus or PASM buttons, ever.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ditto on PDK with Sport Chrono - Sport mode makes the car more enjoyable to drive. That said if you find a nice PDK car without it, "Sport Chrono" can be added, so no worries. You won't get the nearly useless "dash wart chrono", but you get the button and the performance enhancements.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:55 PM
dhtexas
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just one more question - is a 997.2 without PASM lowered in comparison to the base car? The answers to my original post and my own web research indicate no but I would like to get some confirmation.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:19 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Base Suspension is standard 0mm drop.
PASM is -10mm
Sport PASM is -20mm

So 'a 997.2 without PASM' would be a base car so no drop.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I find PASM rough on the bum. I mainly drive in Sport mode without PASM
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

If you & your wife have wanted a 911 forever, then IMO you need Sport and Sport Plus. I call it the Smile Inducer, or the Holy Carp Button. It transforms the 997.2 from fun to funner (Sport) to funnest (Sport+)!

Good luck in the hunt...T
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhtexas
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just one more question - is a 997.2 without PASM lowered in comparison to the base car? The answers to my original post and my own web research indicate no but I would like to get some confirmation.
Hi, if you want the best bang for the buck and thoroughly enjoy 911 experience get 2009+ carrera s with sport chrono package and PDK. PASM or not you will never going to want to stop driving the car. Ever. I drive mostly in sport mode and turn off PASM as its a bit bouncy for daily driving . PDK rocks, and extra HP and lowered ride with S will cover all the bases for a spirited driving.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

Not trying to pick any nits but some of the replies describe PASM as being on or off. My understanding is that PASM is always on. What we have are normal and sport modes. The system actively manages the suspension at all times. The information I have seen describes PASM as having a much wider operating range as compared to stock suspension. That is PASM in normal mode can be slightly smoother and/or slightly stiffer than a standard suspension depending on the road surface and driver input.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Sport and Sport Plus settings