Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To install a K&N cone filter cold intake or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016 | 01:22 AM
82_930
Pro

Default To install a K&N cone filter cold intake or not?

Hello all,

I was debating on installing a K&N cold air intake on my '06 C4.

I could care less about whatever power increase they claim, I just love the sound of the engine that you could hear once you remove the airbox.

I had one of these installed on my former 996 C4, it sounded awesome, but sometimes it threw a CEL for the mass air sensor being dirty.

Now I know not to get an oiled filter (instead get the "sock" that K&N offers to put over a non oiled filter) but there is still the risk of a CEL even though it's a newer car.

SO... should I just say screw it and get one, or should I just play it safe and keep what the factory designed?
Old 10-13-2016 | 04:21 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Well, I know there are a lot of skeptics about the CAI kits, but I am a fan of the K&N kit. I would not hesitate at all. I use the K&N Intake Kit # 57-7000 and IPD Competition Plenum with GT3 throttle body on my 2006 C4S.

By far the intake kit is my favorite mod I have done on my car. You already know how great it sounds by just doing the intake. In fact, throttle response and power feels even better than stock. This kit helps to also eliminate the flat spot in the power curve around 5000 rpm when the engine comes on cam. K&N Dyno's show that there is actually a very healthy increase in power, about 20 hp, between 4500-6000 rpm and then maybe an extra 10-12 hp increase to redline. The Ipd plenum helps to futher smooth out the delivery of power and airflow, but the K&N kit gives you that special howl/scream from 5000-7000 rpm that you are looking for.

The K&N kit is only around $300 bucks and to me it is worth every penny just for the noise this intake makes alone.

Sounds like your main concern for getting it again is a possible cel light issue coming on. I have narrowed this down and I think solved the problem, which actually was not always due to a dirty sensor, but sporadic air turbulence. If you do feel the sensor is dirty then the first solution is to clean it about every 6 months with some CRC MAF spray cleaner. I have never had any issues with a dirty sensor, but I do clean it a couple times a year just to be meticulous and keep things running perfectly.

After I added the competition plenum I started getting a cel light related to the maf sensor. I got a new maf sensor and cel light still came back. This drove me nuts and was frustrating, but then I figured out a $20 mod that helps smooth out the airflow and solved the cel issue. It dawned upon me when I put my old stock airbox on and and the cel stayed off. While I was looking at the old air box, specifically the old air mass sensor housing, I noticed there are a couple of airflow screens built in to the air mass sensor housing. Airflow hits these screens before hitting the sensor. 1 is a plastic screen and the 2nd one is a metal screen. So I found a $20 mass air flow sensor and basically removed the screens from it. They are easy to pry out. I only use the plastic screen which keeps good air flow and cuts down on turbulence coming in from the hi flow cone filter. The metal screen is not necessary and over kill. This circular screen fits perfectly and held nicely in the the opening of the K&N cone filter and sandwiched in place as you connect the cone filter to the plastic air tubing that holds the maf sensor and runs to the throtle body. Makes the idle much smoother in general and has eliminated my cel issues completely. I have done this solution for another friend who has a 06 C2 with the K&N setup only and it solved all his cel issues too..

After putting the stock airbox on I have to say that I also felt validated because I can say without a doubt that the K&N CAI makes a really nice difference and is way better in power and sound delivery than the stock airbox. the car is more fun to drive and listen to!

I attached a photo of the maf housing you can get for $20. I removed the circular black screen at the opening air intake side. Do an ebay search for "Mass Air Flow Sensor Meter MAF 0280217814 For BMW X5 740 540"

Here is how the intake sounds on my 2006 C4S. This is recorded with a gopro cam suction cupped to my rear window. No special mics, just the gopro.

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2016 | 11:46 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Great video ^^^
Old 10-13-2016 | 11:49 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

i like the K&N it works good. Ive had k&n, bmc filters on every car Ive owned since the 80s and never had any problem

Quick Reply: To install a K&N cone filter cold intake or not?