Sponsored by:

Aux / Bluetooth Iphone Music for 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016 | 01:38 AM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Default Aux / Bluetooth Iphone Music for 997.1

hi folks,
i have 997.1 . i want to listen to my songs from my iphone using either bluetooth or aux. doing quick search suggests a few options.
1. porsche oem ipod / aux from suncoast (con: high price) (http://suncoastparts.com/product/OEMKIT.html)
2. transit blu (pro: cheaper)
3. tooki
4. dension
5. FM transmitter (pro: cheapest solution, con: interference / quality )

i have the pcm with phone buttons on the left and navigation.

some posts are years old. wondering if someone has recently installed any of this. maybe a better product in market now. what are pros and cons.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2016 | 08:58 AM
DC911S
Drifting

maybe a better product in market now
no, its an older platform so there is no money in developing new products for the 997.1.
Old 10-11-2016 | 09:13 AM
911Finally
Instructor

Trazit Blu by a long shot. Can be had on Amazon for about $75 or best Buy will match and install for another $25-50
Old 10-11-2016 | 09:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I have Mobridge M2 Pro. It works very well and I'm pleased with it.
Old 10-11-2016 | 11:39 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mzsaad
1. porsche oem ipod / aux from suncoast (con: high price)
(http://suncoastparts.com/product/OEMKIT.html)
requires wired connection, USB will not charge the phone so need to use the 3.5mm plug for music AND the lightning cord to the cig lighter as the power outlet in the cubby is lost with the interface install, and does not have a mic for handsfree phone

3. tooki
IIRC this is primarily for handsfree phone and will only play through one set of speakers, not all

4. dension
Expensive, has the best on-screen display, but pointless to me in a 997.1 because of no touch-screen. Also read it has the most glitches and difficult to download firmware updates.

5. FM transmitter (pro: cheapest solution, con: interference / quality )
Unless you live in an area where there are plenty of clear frequencies not nearby strong ones, none of these are very enjoyable to use. Strong stations nearby will step on the transmitter at various times of the day.
I have had the Tranzit for a couple years, I find it works great and is the best bang for the buck.
Old 10-11-2016 | 02:51 PM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

+1 for Tranzit Blu HF - install is pretty simple
Old 10-11-2016 | 03:35 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Finally
Trazit Blu by a long shot. Can be had on Amazon for about $75 or best Buy will match and install for another $25-50
thats all they charge?
Old 10-11-2016 | 03:35 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
I have installed a lot of car stereos in my life, but at this point I hate dealing with this stuff. How simple is it really?
Old 10-11-2016 | 03:44 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodH
thats all they charge?
Well they sell the unit their for $199 installed, but they will meet any authorized dealer price. Amazon.com is the seller and they recognize them. So they will Match the $75. They will tell you that they can't install it for that though. I then said to them "if I bought your item WITHOUT installation do I get a discount"? They said no. So I told them then they're really not charging for the install. They then said they would do it for $50. I argued a bit more and they dropped it to $25. You may have to pay the $50 but still a great deal. You may need an antenna as well for the unit which they sell for $18.
Old 10-11-2016 | 04:22 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

I have installed a lot of car stereos in my life, but at this point I hate dealing with this stuff. How simple is it really?
IIRC there is a thread or maybe two on here outlining the install with pics. The hardest part was undoing the stubborn screws holding the PCM head to the stack. Beyond that it was a piece of cake, and I even soldered and used heat-shrink insulation on the power and ground wires because I'm not a fan of crimp-connectors for splicing into existing wires. In addition to the unit kit you'll need an antenna adaptor cable because the Tranzit comes set up for a Motorola connector. I think it's around $20.

Locating the mic and control button are a matter of personal preference. The button attaches with double-stick, I stuck it to the volcano-gray trim piece under the cluster just left of the center stack, because it's almost invisible there. I can find it instinctively and it's an upward press, which I use my knuckle. The mic I didn't like how it looked atop the A-pillar, so I routed it past the steering column, up and around the oil temp guage and analog speedo, and nestled it deep between that and the tach. Well-hidden, and sits right in line with my face, gives great call quality. Only downside it picks up the turn sig clicking more than if it were on the A-pillar, but it picks it up some on the pillar too so it's not a huge negative.

One negative about the Tranzit is you can only pair one device with it. Pairing a different device is easy using their iphone app, but it requires it to forget the other, so it's not as convenient for 2-driver households as units that store 2 or more devices.

HERE IS MY INSTALL and the rest of the thread will outline the entire procedure.
Old 10-11-2016 | 05:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Mobridge is expensive too, just like Denison. The reasons that I like it are:

- It taps directly into the MOST ring and the sound quality is excellent.
- It offers high quality streaming bluetooth audio, with track information displayed on the PCM screen. I can use this for iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, XM radio, etc.
- It doesn't require any external controls; everything is done with the stock head unit controls. The installation is "invisible".
- It takes advantage of the telephone functionality of the stock PCM unit. I can use the phonebook function, favorite numbers, etc. Telephone numbers can be direct dialed using the keypad to the left of the PCM screen (I prefer that to a touch screen). Caller ID is displayed on the screen when a call comes in. The stock buttons on the PCM unit to answer and hang up are functional.
- It has been trouble-free, without glitches since I had it installed two years ago.

It's not the right choice for everybody, but it was for me.
Old 10-11-2016 | 05:48 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
IIRC there is a thread or maybe two on here outlining the install with pics. The hardest part was undoing the stubborn screws holding the PCM head to the stack. Beyond that it was a piece of cake, and I even soldered and used heat-shrink insulation on the power and ground wires because I'm not a fan of crimp-connectors for splicing into existing wires. In addition to the unit kit you'll need an antenna adaptor cable because the Tranzit comes set up for a Motorola connector. I think it's around $20.

Locating the mic and control button are a matter of personal preference. The button attaches with double-stick, I stuck it to the volcano-gray trim piece under the cluster just left of the center stack, because it's almost invisible there. I can find it instinctively and it's an upward press, which I use my knuckle. The mic I didn't like how it looked atop the A-pillar, so I routed it past the steering column, up and around the oil temp guage and analog speedo, and nestled it deep between that and the tach. Well-hidden, and sits right in line with my face, gives great call quality. Only downside it picks up the turn sig clicking more than if it were on the A-pillar, but it picks it up some on the pillar too so it's not a huge negative.

One negative about the Tranzit is you can only pair one device with it. Pairing a different device is easy using their iphone app, but it requires it to forget the other, so it's not as convenient for 2-driver households as units that store 2 or more devices.

HERE IS MY INSTALL and the rest of the thread will outline the entire procedure.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2016 | 07:02 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

tranzit blu all the way

disassembly of pcm , 2 cables to splice (power + ground) in addition to wiring the mic thru the b-pillar.

absolutely love mine.

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
Old 10-11-2016 | 07:30 PM
Mzsaad
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
tranzit blu all the way

disassembly of pcm , 2 cables to splice (power + ground) in addition to wiring the mic thru the b-pillar.

absolutely love mine.
did you mean a pillar?
Old 10-12-2016 | 12:05 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

I have the Dennison unit in my 997.1 Cab (which was installed in 2012 when I purchased the car). Very pleased with it.

Turned out to be a complete waste of money as I never listen to music in my 911! I'm always enjoying that Symphony in Flat 6.

Save your money.

Quick Reply: Aux / Bluetooth Iphone Music for 997.1