Sponsored by:

Navigation Map Update for 997.1 - PCM 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 08:53 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Map Update for 997.1 - PCM 2.1

I just picked up one of these map updates - I think the last time I'd updated my maps was 2009 or so.

The package comes with a CD marked "PCM 2.1 Mulitmedia Update CD Navigation" as well as CDs marked "PCM Mulitmedia Update" for Cayenne, Boxster and Cayman.

The package also comes with a single DVD marked "PCM 2.1 DVD-Navigation America and includes maps for North America and other locales.

I just tossed the DVD into the navigation unit (trunk) and the PCM immediately prompted for permission to load map data.

Map data loaded just fine and the Nav seems to work fine although I haven't had a chance to experiment with really new addresses.

I inserted the CD in the head unit and it didn't seem to do anything after a brief "checking CD data".

I did check the version number on my PCM per the Suncoast instructions and my version is 05024.

Not sure if I need to do anything with the CD. Anyone else updated their maps?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Curious- does the map render any better or does it still have the same graphics and tough visuals?

Rather than invest in the OEM setup I plan to go apple carplay soon on mine.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:02 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Curious- does the map render any better or does it still have the same graphics and tough visuals?

Rather than invest in the OEM setup I plan to go apple carplay soon on mine.
You gotta remember that the 2.1 is a 10+ year old system so it will be clunky by today's standards. My discs were the originals from 2004!

While I mainly use my iPhone on a windshield mount with WAZE for guidance because it's live data, I did update my maps this year to the latest just so all in the car didn't seem so dated.

I always have the map display on when driving.
There was a problem with upstanding and I had to leave it at the dealer for a day while they did it. I was told the 2.1's a re a bit finicky. Seems they have to update the firmware in the radio 1st before updating the nav unit.

In the end, all is good and there was no charge from the dealer to install the update for me.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 AM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

:heavysigh: These .1s and their pcms...ugh! The technology is just so dated. I keep going back and forth on a new setup vs. a bluetooth module for the pcm. The bose system + pcm is such a P.I.T.A.

@wc11 How much did you pay for the maps update?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I updated mine to the 2015 maps. It works great!
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom Feldmann
:heavysigh: These .1s and their pcms...ugh! The technology is just so dated. I keep going back and forth on a new setup vs. a bluetooth module for the pcm. The bose system + pcm is such a P.I.T.A.

Oh heavy sigh back at you. I fully recognize that a $75 Garmin will do much more for me than my PCM 2.1. C'est la vie.

The navigation on the 2.1 is really not so bad - I use navigation really only for addresses and it fills the bill on that front about 95% of the time. My most recent experiences are that where my 2.1 nav fails to recognize an address, I have similar experience with Google Maps or any other new technology.

As to Bluetooth - iPod plug in, etc. Agreed. But there are solutions for that.

I drive an old Porsche and I prefer to keep it that way rather than install a modern after market solution. Just my nature.

The Navigation update is $325. Chump change compared to the value of the car.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Feldmann

Way too much since we get raped for this this kind of stuff in Canada with the exchange but I figured it was the one and only time I'd do it so....add about 27% exchange to your US prices.

If it weren't for the Sports Chrono and all the integration of the system, I may have replaced it all with an aftermarket system which would obviously be better with the newer technology but by the same token, I want the keep it as stock as possible.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Oh heavy sigh back at you. I fully recognize that a $75 Garmin will do much more for me than my PCM 2.1. C'est la vie.

The navigation on the 2.1 is really not so bad - I use navigation really only for addresses and it fills the bill on that front about 95% of the time. My most recent experiences are that where my 2.1 nav fails to recognize an address, I have similar experience with Google Maps or any other new technology.

As to Bluetooth - iPod plug in, etc. Agreed. But there are solutions for that.

I drive an old Porsche and I prefer to keep it that way rather than install a modern after market solution. Just my nature.

The Navigation update is $325. Chump change compared to the value of the car.
+1

I've got a Mobridge system installed in my car. It's invisible, so you don't even know that the system isn't stock by looking at it. I have bluetooth telephone connectivity, bluetooth streaming music, etc. The radio mutes to give me warnings from the radar detector. If I choose to use my iPhone for navigation to get traffic information, it is played through the system.

I also like PCM 2.1 for a few other reasons. First of all, it's simple and it works well. Secondly, I don't like touch screen nav systems. I don't like the fingerprints all over the screen, so I prefer a ****. Finally, I like the fact that I can update the maps in my driveway with new discs instead of an expensive trip to the dealer.

I know that more modern systems have more functionality, but I'm okay without all that stuff.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:08 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
+1

I've got a Mobridge system installed in my car. It's invisible, so you don't even know that the system isn't stock by looking at it. I have bluetooth telephone connectivity, bluetooth streaming music, etc. The radio mutes to give me warnings from the radar detector. If I choose to use my iPhone for navigation to get traffic information, it is played through the system.

I also like PCM 2.1 for a few other reasons. First of all, it's simple and it works well. Secondly, I don't like touch screen nav systems. I don't like the fingerprints all over the screen, so I prefer a ****. Finally, I like the fact that I can update the maps in my driveway with new discs instead of an expensive trip to the dealer.

I know that more modern systems have more functionality, but I'm okay without all that stuff.
How do you make Bluetooth music playing work on Mobridge? My mobridge doesn't work with my iphone?!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It works automatically with my iPhone when I push the "CDC" button on the head unit. Mine is the Mobridge M2 Pro. Maybe you have a different model?
Old 10-08-2016, 05:53 PM
purrybonker
Pro

For posterity, here's an outline of the installation instructions for the navigation/map update. If you're comfortable doing this yourself and understand the risks of doing your own work.

(I found my old instructions from a previous map update)

It's important to check for the PCM 2.1 version per the instructions on the Suncoast website before purchasing the map update. For Canadians - note that the update is about the same price to buy from the local dealer if using a PCA discount.

Basically, it's just; start the car, remove the old map DVD from the navigation module in the trunk, insert the new Navigation/Multimedia CD into the PCM head unit, turn off the car for a few minutes, restart car and PCM and follow the prompts for installing the update.

About 10% of the way into the update an error about loading maps will appear. At that point you just insert the new map DVD into the navigation module in the trunk. The update will then continue to install.

I had previously updated my navigation and maps (2009 or so) and in my case nothing happened at all when I inserted the new Navigation/Mulitmedia update CD into the head unit.

However, when I inserted the new map DVD into the navigation module, the "maps loading" message appeared on the PCM and the new maps successfully loaded.

So, it looks like there is only one navigation software update even though there have been several map updates to date.

The new maps appear to be more detailed right out of the starting gate. I am downtown Vancouver and noticed that the new maps show more building detail than the old ones.

Also, all of the hiking trails in Stanley Park appear on the map - that's interesting but I'm not sure what I would do with that information while driving my car....

The update only takes five or ten minutes so the dealer might do the update for you as a courtesy. This is one of the blessings of our old PCM's - I understand that the PCM 3's (997.2) take about two hours labor to install and several hours down time to complete the update.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I didn't follow this procedure. I just started the car, put the new disc into the DVD unit, and waited for the update to complete. I received no error message.
The following users liked this post:
Kifa (01-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I don't like touch screen nav systems. I don't like the fingerprints all over the screen, so I prefer a ****.
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I don't have NAV in my 997 but I do in the Merc which does not have touch screen. Inputing an address is aggravatingly slow, so I use my iphone via bluetooth. It also has the benefit of real-time traffic updates.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I don't have NAV in my 997 but I do in the Merc which does not have touch screen. Inputing an address is aggravatingly slow, so I use my iphone via bluetooth. It also has the benefit of real-time traffic updates.
Definitely a matter of personal preference. I typically use voice control to input data in our Audi. It's not perfect, but I like it better than a touch screen.

I use navigation in the Porsche about 3 times per year, so I really care more about the driving experience than the electronics.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:51 PM
coquitlam1
AutoX

what is the latest PCM 2.1 version?
is Navigation System 3306 the latest one?
please advise. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Navigation Map Update for 997.1 - PCM 2.1