997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Sludge (Not your usual oil thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016 | 07:06 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Default Oil Sludge (Not your usual oil thread!)

Saw this new article - interesting to see that in a hybrid constantly using the engine for short trips and never getting up to temperature resulted in sludge build up in the oil - the sludge is quite dramatic. Of course cold temperatures made the condition worse

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...udge-1.3779293

Ford's advice - get the engine up to temperature and burn off the condensation.

Validation for the advice, don't use the engine for short trips, get it up to temperature and enjoy your car
Old 09-27-2016 | 07:17 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Interesting problem. I wonder if the gasoline engine rarely gets used, how long before the gas in the tank gets stale?
Old 09-27-2016 | 07:23 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Interesting thread
Old 09-27-2016 | 08:35 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS
Interesting problem. I wonder if the gasoline engine rarely gets used, how long before the gas in the tank gets stale?
I left gas in a car for seven years with no Stabl...... no chit, car started right up with a new battery. Ran rough, but ran.... I pumped up the tires and drove home from a storage facility in Wampum PA. Tires were square, but I got home.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-27-2016 | 08:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Very typical problem for people who don't run their engine hot. In this case amplified by Hybrid system, running the engine less than usual. I remember that my supposedly troubled S4 engine had no issues and the Audi head mechanic said, it's because I drove the car hard and got all crap out of the engine.

Having said all that, Ford should have anticipated some *slow* drivers who may drive this Hybrid like that, so probably should have re-designed the gas engine to accommodate. I bet Prius hybrid engine doesn't have this problem.

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge (Not your usual oil thread!)