Sponsored by:

Street/Track Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:03 AM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
I had a blown rear shock after 74,000 miles.
Figure the most prudent thing to do was to set up an appointment with my indy to put the car on the lift and do a stem to stern inspection to take a look at what needs replacing. I'll share my spreadsheet so others can reference parts/part numbers (including things I may not need to replace) if anyone is interested.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 AM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze
.....I'll share my spreadsheet so others can reference parts/part numbers (including things I may not need to replace) if anyone is interested.
Yes, that would be very helpful. Thanks. Btw, what year is your 997.1 S ?
Old 09-23-2016, 01:42 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by lowbee
Mine is an 06...coming up on a years ownership and very reliable other than wear parts, which are expected at this mileage.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:04 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thanks for Sharing

Good info
Old 09-27-2016, 07:28 PM
swartzzz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

So, did they ever tell you what failed?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Took the new suspension to the track last Sunday for a track event put on by the Z club and have had a bit of time to drive it on the street.
I'm very happy in both environments. On the street it is a little stiffer than stock, but not jarring. Go to the track, hit the sport button, and things firm up nicely. I did not want to push hard, but the new set up is an easy second a lap faster and I could consistently run times within .3 seconds a lap of each other.

Had a prepped STI want to play. It was surprising to be faster on the straights than he was, but he could push me in the corners pretty good. With is turbo He should have less loss from our altitude. I let him by after a few laps as it was only the second session with the new bits; right after he passed me he pulled to the side of the track. I talked to him in the pits afterwards: he complemented my driving, was surprised my car wasn't a turbo and told me it looks like he blew his engine. Porsche 1, Subaru 0
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I also have a street/track car, and for 4-5 sessions a year, you do NOT require suspension upgrade! I have no idea what's the cost difference of OEM replacement vs. Damptronics, but if close, I'd definitely stick to OEM, get 18" tires for winter, get EMC box for better PASM management and have a street car that's track-worthy.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:38 AM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by swartzzz
So, did they ever tell you what failed?
I'm going into the shop on Monday for a more detailed run-through of the worn parts to figure out what should be replaced at this point.

Originally Posted by alexb76
I also have a street/track car, and for 4-5 sessions a year, you do NOT require suspension upgrade! I have no idea what's the cost difference of OEM replacement vs. Damptronics, but if close, I'd definitely stick to OEM, get 18" tires for winter, get EMC box for better PASM management and have a street car that's track-worthy.
Oh, I wrote off Damptronics a long time ago...just deciding if I want to go with B4s or B8s at this point. Lowering the car on eibachs is appealing, but may not be the most prudent thing to do with the road around Boston...
Old 09-28-2016, 12:05 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Took the new suspension to the track last Sunday for a track event put on by the Z club and have had a bit of time to drive it on the street.
I'm very happy in both environments. On the street it is a little stiffer than stock, but not jarring. Go to the track, hit the sport button, and things firm up nicely. I did not want to push hard, but the new set up is an easy second a lap faster and I could consistently run times within .3 seconds a lap of each other.

Had a prepped STI want to play. It was surprising to be faster on the straights than he was, but he could push me in the corners pretty good. With is turbo He should have less loss from our altitude. I let him by after a few laps as it was only the second session with the new bits; right after he passed me he pulled to the side of the track. I talked to him in the pits afterwards: he complemented my driving, was surprised my car wasn't a turbo and told me it looks like he blew his engine. Porsche 1, Subaru 0
Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Too much pretension at neutral and when you turn you can get strange oversteering or understeering effects (depends upon a lot of suspension effects including front to rear sway bar stiffness ratios). In extreme cases you can get a snap steering effect coming out of a turn. If feels like the car suddenly steers on its own in an unexpected way. It can be quite scary and very dangerous at high speeds.
Hey, thanks semicycler, incredible information! That all sounds pretty scary, I'll have to get the front sway preload checked out at some point. So I would notice it only when coming out of a turn, and it could be either understeer or oversteer?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:57 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by lowbee
Following up on this, since I said I would, albeit a little later than anticipated. For those just catching up, this a suspension update for a middle-aged car (90K miles) that's getting mostly street time with 4-6 DE/autox events/year.

I welcome any and all thoughts/feedback from those more educated on matters of suspension upgrades. Any other wear items I should consider?

Regardless, here's what on the docket to be updated (timetable/wife's permission pending...):

Front Suspension:
  • Bilstein PASM B8 on Eibach springs
  • GT3 LCAs (Litronic adapter + shims for stock GT3 alignment)
  • Adjustable Drop Links on stock sway
  • Bump Steer kit
  • Suspension strut mount (stock replacement)
  • Shock Bearing Plate (stock replacement)
  • Rubber bump stop (stock replacement)
  • Sway Bar Bushings (stock replacement)

Rear Suspension:
  • Bilstein PASM Shock B8 on Eibach springs
  • Adjustable Drop Links on stock sway
  • Adjustable toe links
  • Eccentric locking bolts
  • Shock Tower Upper Mounts (stock replacement)
  • Sway Bar Bushings (stock replacement)
  • Rubber bump stops (stock replacement)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Edit: nevermind.. reread the thread. Only thing missing IMO (if not going damptronic) is the DSC box.
Also, don't forget to buy new nuts for the top mounts too.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Edit: nevermind.. reread the thread. Only thing missing IMO (if not going damptronic) is the DSC box.
Also, don't forget to buy new nuts for the top mounts too.
Good tip. Already have the 2-mode DSC installed, so it will be a matter of fine tuning with the new bits.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:38 PM
jglaze
Racer

I have received everything, EXCEPT the rear B8s. Originally factory back-ordered until Aug, then Nov, now Feb...and a frantic nationwide (ongoing) search reveals ZERO inventory.

The car doesn’t *need* the suspension replaced, and it’ll be garaged once they start salting the road, so waiting isn’t the worst thing, but there are no guarantees that the backorder date won’t push again.

Other than continuing to call parts dealers, anyone have a suggestion?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 PM
jglaze
Racer

So, two and a half years after I started this thread, the car is done! The B8s finally arrived in December and the car is wrapped. In addition to what I'd listed above, I sprung for a set of GT3 sways with adjustable drop links, a set of 18" OZ wheels with Michelin Pilot Sports. And since I had a small RMS leak, and the car was already in the air, I went ahead and swapped in a new clutch and lightweight flywheel. Overall, I'm very pleased with the outcome even if it did take a lot longer than anticipated...but I suppose you can order from Bilstein with some level of comfort seeing they've finally gotten their act together (maybe). Looking forward to DE season.

Now, if only it would stop raining...

Quick Reply: Street/Track Suspension Setup