Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016 | 04:32 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
Please tell Porsche marketing.
Fixed that for yea....

Originally Posted by rbennett
Thanks as for my 930 i'll be period correct and for the modern performance items i'll defer to Porsche engineering.
Unless you have a stash of NOS brake pads (versus something modern) you are missing the point.

I agree they look cool, nothing more. As pointed out in the video you can get away with a lot in a street car. Most street cars today have much more brakes than they need anyway, but they look good.
With 19-20" or larger wheels, small brakes look downright silly so I don't blame these manufactures for dressing up the brake systems.

I'm upgrading the brakes on a 928 to Boxster calipers simply because they will look better with the wheels I have installed. I know for a fact the car will not stop any better with the kind of street driving I do with this car.
Old 09-13-2016 | 04:54 PM
tuxkilla
Rennlist Member

A while ago, the famous (or infamous, depending on how much tech you brought to the table) corner-carvers forum had a very in-depth discussion on Porsche and their "cast" rotors.
http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...ght=cast+holes

Anyways, it was decided that this was a bunch of marketing hype. When you start to go fast in any car, cross drilled rotors do not last, and I have been witness to a few more or less cracking in half on track because they were not carefully inspected between sessions.

Edit: And to expand a little more, with a solid rotor, you don't have to be scared of little heat cracks in the rotors expanding into a nightmare when heading into 10a at Road Atlanta. With drilled rotors, its just one more little thing that remains in the back of your head as you apply the brakes at speed. At least for me, YMMV.

Last edited by tuxkilla; 09-13-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2016 | 06:00 PM
rbennett
Drifting

If you like drilled rotors buy them if you don't then buy non drilled.
Im certainly no braking expert (unless I tried to appear as one via Google search) but when I buy rotors at a Porsche counter, I'll put on what they sold me for my 997.

Here's a pic of my 930 when I restored it showing the period correct all NOS parts (except for the yellow powder coating) and as previously
stated, it took me months to source the correct rotors and pads. Nothing in this pic looks poser IMO

Old 09-13-2016 | 06:28 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Looks sweet!!!
Old 09-13-2016 | 06:42 PM
jennifer911
Racer

You guys are trying too hard to be reverse-posers. The Porsche 911 is all about making quirky, obsolete design and architecture not just work, but excel. If the humble Bumblebee didn’t already exist defying all the aeronautical engineers who said the design was impossible, Porsche being Porsche would have built one. And just to be doubly obstinate, would have put the engine in the back.
The Porsche 911 as a street car, is not only a great driver’s car but also has some of the best brakes in the business, drilled rotors and all.
Old 09-13-2016 | 06:55 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

The correct and most long term economic solution is this: oem rotors and pads for street, swap rotors to slotted and pads to semi metallic for track.

Wallah.

cuz you are not going to convince me Porsche should make track specific pads and rotors on a street car. No one truly does that because the screeching is horrific and it wears quickly for no reason, with not even any additional real felt bite. In fact, it probably has quite a bit less bite until warm anyways.

On my street Porsche the drilled rotors look better than flat ones, and they work for YEARS and tens of thousands of miles with stock pads. slotted ones would just eat those soft stock pads up. Most people don't realize how much less durable stock pads are compared to say an endurance racing Pfc 08 semi metallic compound.
Old 09-13-2016 | 09:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

I've tried various rotors on previous cars, and only OEM drilled on my 997. Here's been my observation:
  • Aftermarket drilled rotors are almost all CRAP! They are drilled into solid rotos, are weakened, crack super easily, and warp quickly after ONE track session. Looks only, to be avoided at all costs!
  • Aftermarket slotted rotors, work OK on track, but literally shave off pads and squeal on the street. Well made ones are probably OK for track but not for street
  • High-end aftermarket (AP) round slotted rotors are fantastic! I had those on my front-heavy Audi and they were fantastic! http://www.kiwirallyfan.com/Motorspo...82_EuKbz-M.jpg
  • Porsche OEM Drilled rotors have been GREAT! I used the original OEM rotors for almost 30K miles, multiple different pad materials (OEM vs. Ferodo), and tracked almost 20 times. Some very tiny cracks showed towards the end, but nothing to worry about, as it was time to replace it after all the wear and tear

So, what do I think about our drilled rotors? Are they for looks? or have a purpose for being drilled? I personally think it's a bit of both, they do look cool, so that doesn't hurt, but they also are designed with function in mind, and are a good compromise for mainly street, occasional track usage and hence perfect for me.
Old 09-13-2016 | 10:35 PM
secondshot
Racer

This is fascinating. Never knew any of this...

Thanks,
Old 09-14-2016 | 09:21 AM
Para82
Race Car

Both my 997S PCCB and my GT350 Brembo have drilled rotors - they sure do stop fast - got me fooled I guess.
Old 09-18-2016 | 08:45 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Yup, got rid of mine. I've seen 4 brand new drilled rotors crack in a 20 min track session
Old 09-18-2016 | 08:53 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
We sell replacement slotted 2 piece rotors into Porsches by manufacturers AP, Giro Disc and PFC.
For any prolonged track application the 2 piece rotor is the most economical way to go.
Can you get blank rear rotors?
Old 09-18-2016 | 08:56 AM
user 72902
Banned

The video said that the purpose of holes or slots on the rotor was to let gas escape but I thought it was primarily to scrape away any glaze that might build up on the pad. I also recall seeing Panoramas with huge rotors neither drilled nor slotted.
Old 09-18-2016 | 11:39 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Old pads would gas, and the holes let the the air escape. Those pads are LONG gone
Old 09-18-2016 | 12:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan GSR
Old pads would gas, and the holes let the the air escape. Those pads are LONG gone
Does anyone know what component, ingredient, in the pads would change states at high heat? How would I know that my pads (any pad) did not have that compound in them?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-18-2016 | 01:59 PM
140.6er
Pro

I am no brake expert but wouldn't the bonding resins in the brake pad compound, when heated, produce those gases that encourage brake fade? Very interesting topic.

Quick Reply: Drilled rotors? A poser look?