Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I'm wasting my car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:21 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Signup for a DE and track that b*..... Then you'll sell it and get a cayman, lol.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:31 PM
ph997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fully get the dilemma. I have a 2012 6spd GTS Cab. I'm up to 30,000 miles and have done 4 DE days with it, so I do drive it. My guilt comes from not driving much at all right now. I hate to have that much investment just sitting in the garage. I work from home 70% of time and travel (via my friends at Southwest and JetBlue) the rest. So no commute to speak of. I have a used BMW 535 as my winter car and airport car, but it also sits most of the time. But when I drive the 911, like a few weeks back up Hwy 100 in Vermont, I am reminded why I keep it. I know if I were to sell it I would regret every minute. I actually did that a few years back with a 2005 997.1. Sold it after 5 years for an Audi S4. The Audi was a great car, but it didn't make me smile the same way. After an 18 month hiatus I was back with the GTS.

Like everyone else has said, drive it every opportunity you can. If it doesn't put a smile on your face, then sell it and let someone else have that enjoyment.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2016, 02:48 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see the problem. Any car that is a daily driver becomes boring after a while. My daily driver is a minivan. I drive the 997 on Fridays to work and on the weekends.

I'm pretty sure you could buy a lambo or a ferrari and get bored after a while if you commuted in traffic everyday.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Signup for a DE and track that b*..... Then you'll sell it and get a cayman, lol.
I agree. Find a DE and go. Turn your car into a great weekend activity.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Double_J
Instructor

In what must have been a sign, I ended up traffic this morning next to a guy in a red 991s with PDK. He looked so relaxed.

I think I'm going to sell my car and get either a 997.2 or 991.1 with PDK. I figure getting rid of the manual transmission will take away a big barrier that stands between me occasionally taking the 911 for the commute, or when running errands on the weekend. Also, the recommendation for DE's is a good one and I'll likely be thankful for the PDK when I start learning to drive on a track.

If it ends up that I drive the PDK as seldom as I drive my current car a couple of years down the road, then I'll know that I'm just not a multi-car kind of guy and I should be able to sell the new one with no real loss in value.

Now the fun begins...2011 Turbo? 2014 C4S? 718S?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:57 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_J
In what must have been a sign, I ended up traffic this morning next to a guy in a red 991s with PDK. He looked so relaxed.

I think I'm going to sell my car and get either a 997.2 or 991.1 with PDK. I figure getting rid of the manual transmission will take away a big barrier that stands between me occasionally taking the 911 for the commute, or when running errands on the weekend. Also, the recommendation for DE's is a good one and I'll likely be thankful for the PDK when I start learning to drive on a track.

If it ends up that I drive the PDK as seldom as I drive my current car a couple of years down the road, then I'll know that I'm just not a multi-car kind of guy and I should be able to sell the new one with no real loss in value.

Are you a car guy or not? That's the real question. There are many guys that just like cars (similar to how women like shoes) but are not car guys. Besides, DE, there are so many other activities you can do besides spending all day beating and devaluing your car. Car shows, councours, ralleyes, modding, road trips etc....

If you want to buy now and sell later with minimal loss, go for the 997.2 Turbo.

If you just want to have a stable to "drive something different", hop onto lease hackr, swap a lease or whatever and look for great deals! I do that for my 3rd car.

If I'm lucky enough in life, I'll always have a Porsche sports car in the stable for track days and times I just want to drive!

Go for the 997.2 Turbo for minimial loss. 718 if you think you might turn the car into a DE toy.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:31 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

...I absolutely love the car when I do get a chance to drive it like it's meant to be driven. The surge of the engine above 4000 RPM, how 'meaningful' it steers and feels to control, the way it hunkers down and grips under hard acceleration, and the satisfying snick of the shifter. Heck, I even love washing those damn sexy hips.

That said, I just rarely have a chance to drive it like that. ....I got the 911 shortly after I moved and little did I realize that the area around my new house was much more congested and that most of my driving was going to be on stop-light, strip mall packed, and traffic filled suburban highways.

@FergusH - I'm in Southern NJ close to Philly but don't know if I'm ready to start selling her yet. I see you have another option cooking...let me know if that falls through and maybe I'll be closer to having my mind made up.
See, that feeling you describe when you DO drive it, that should be enough. I'm in the exact same boat as you -- right down to where we live. And I am hugely busy and have 2 kids so lots of demand on my time. But even those brief weekend rides, and the chance to see the car when I walk into my garage in the morning, really works for me...

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Drive a 991 with a PDK. It is night and day.
Hate to say it, but yeah... I've heard the 991s are a fast and sporty arm-chair, if not a couch... That might be your ticket.

Originally Posted by GFCOFNJ
DoubleJ, I live in the same local as you. Take her down route 55 a couple times. Usually not very congested, nice road to just take a ride. Good luck with your decision.
See, this might also be one thing you could do. For many of us, a *part* of the enjoyment of these cars is the camaraderie with other like-minded folks (read: crazy Porsche people). Do you ever do any of the local events? C&C on Saturday mornings in Mt. Laurel? PCA Schattembaum stuff? I'm down here, he's down here -- doing a few car things with others might give you an excuse and a reason to get out in the car more...

Originally Posted by Sydneysixer
I don't think Double_J is alone. As much as I look forward to getting into my manual 997 on weekends for a cruise or early morning spirited blast, I prefer to use the family wagon or daughter's VW Polo for commuting and short trips, especially where traffic & carparks are involved. While I have toyed with the idea of PDK (having previously had a Golf GTI DSG which I loved as a great all rounder), I don't think this would lead me to drive my 997 any more than I do now (<5000km pa).

Consequently I can relate to Double_J in thinking that my next car may be a sporty DD rather than a weekend special. Even so, I am in no rush to sell, and have just decided to get up early tomorrow, just so I can go for a drive up the coast in my 997 before work.
Exactly... My DD is a VW GTI as well... so I get the quick fix even on the daily commute to my office in Philly (and the roads getting across the river are pure shiite to be sure...)

Hahaha... Well, there you go. That didn't take long. Have fun shopping.
I recently came across someone selling a 997.2 Turbo -- let me know if you want me to try to find his number if I can. No affiliation, just someone I met at the last Schattenbaum event.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lugs H
Not driving your 911 is like not screwing your girlfriend. You're just saving her for the next guy.
That analogy may be true when it comes to simply driving, extending it to the racetrack :

Taking your car to the track is analogous to introducing your girlfriend to the entire foot ball team in the locker room, and then hoping nothing happens. Odds are, you are fine. Right?

Old 09-09-2016, 04:37 PM
atc5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went w/ a PDK for exactly the experience you're having w/ traffic.....so glad that I did, too.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:50 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watch this, if You're not moved, sell your car to someone who is. Different generation 911, but the point still resonates today:
Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 PM
RJLupin

Double_J ... some pics please
Old 09-11-2016, 01:55 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best car is the car you drive the most or at least wish you were driving.

I was in a similar dilemma. My Porsche just sat in my garage while I drove my truck everywhere. What a waste, for both me and the car. I thought I would never like PDK and always had a coupe. After all, real car guys only drive sticks.

Ha! Was I ever wrong. I went to the dealer and test drove a 991 cabrio with PDK and I was sold. Porsche really does know their customer base. I haven't felt this way about a Porsche since I first drove my 993. Now, I can't stop driving the car and the top is always down. I daily drive it to work through the 'hood on the south side of Chicago. I drive it to Meijers and Costco (unless I buy a lot of stuff). I pick up the kids from school, swim, volleyball. And yes it still feels like a Porsche.

The PDK is perfect for the cabrio, so relaxed and you can downshift with just a flick of the finger. The top down experience is just awesome. Now I know why the guys in convertibles look like they're always having fun. Because they are.

If you're seriously thinking about selling your car, you've already made the decision. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: I think I'm wasting my car...