Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you ever used the rear fog light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Driver's side rear light will illuminate like a brake light if you pull out on the light switch. This should only be used if the fog is thick enough that you can't see from one highway delineater to the next.

But in the USA, almost no one seems to know this, so it seems to be debatable whether using this is a good idea or not.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:00 PM
VanSant62
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vg247
Got pulled over near Concannon winery by Livermore PD using it in my Benz, she thought something wrong with my tail light so I stopped using this feature
+1
Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lived in Italy I used mine all the time as it's very foggy there. Many a night I could only see that fog light and not past the end of my hood. There would be a line of cars on the Autostrada and you start to wonder what was the guy in the lead seeing since I couldn't any thing. You would think that if the lead driver drove off the road so would the line of cars. Crazy I know but this was the norm outside of Venice.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM
D3RP
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

On a previous '12 Range Rover Sport fog lamps illuminated on both sides as a separate bulb from the break lights. Used for fog many times. But would also flash them at tailgating cars. Generally effective.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Years ago, on the Tail Of The Dragon run early in the AM with a bunch of other Porsche with some morning fog.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:03 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use mine all the time when i'm driving through the clouds. I consider it just as important as any of the other lights when it's fog time. I appreciate when other people use them too. Sometimes the fog is thick enough that it's the only light you see as you approach a car in the clouds.

Sounds like you north coast boys had a great summer, really wish I could have joined you on so many of the drives- crazy how life grabs you by the horns sometimes!

I got a new AOS in$$talled last week, and sadly that's about the peak of my summertime Porsche activity! Lol
Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I use mine all the time when i'm driving through the clouds. I consider it just as important as any of the other lights when it's fog time. I appreciate when other people use them too. Sometimes the fog is thick enough that it's the only light you see as you approach a car in the clouds.

Sounds like you north coast boys had a great summer, really wish I could have joined you on so many of the drives- crazy how life grabs you by the horns sometimes!

I got a new AOS in$$talled last week, and sadly that's about the peak of my summertime Porsche activity! Lol
Missed you, but carried you with us in spirit. There will be more days, but advice from someone older, don't let too many of them pass you by!!!

See you next time ...
Old 09-13-2016, 11:03 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of times for legitimate reasons, a couple of times to get some a-hole that was tailgating me on I25 to back off

Quick Reply: Have you ever used the rear fog light?