Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:06 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Question

Hello all,

I haven't been on this forum in over 2 years since I got rid of my 996, I just bought a 2005 Carrera S and I have a few questions.

I'm about to order the bilstein damptronic coilovers and I would like to lower the car a bit. From my past experiences with lowering the car to the floor I learned I have to change the sway bar links.

Although i'm not planning on going that low now, I will be ordering rear sway bar links, my question is, does the front also need new links or are the stock ones ok?

Also, what brand links are recommend.

This is my daily driver, I don't mind a rough ride but I plan on doing occasional track days and also canyon carving on the weekends. Would you guys recommend some aftermarket sway bars? Front and rear?

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:02 PM
scorcherjf
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Have bilstein B16 damptronics also. In my opnion - no, you won't need beefier sways. The spring rates that come with it are higher than a GT3's and are also linear, not progressive. I had originally put on TPC sways with the damptronics with adjustable drop links up front but eventually went back to OEM sways and drop links. The rear is fine with OEM links, the fronts will have a preload with OEM links but if you corner balance and don't drop too low, it'll be negligible. Also, couldn't stand the knocking/rattling of aftermarket spherical drop links.

After many track days I realized the beefier sway bars with higher spring rates linked the suspension too much, causing the outer wheels to be upset when hitting curbing or bumps with the inner wheel, etc.

Honestly, I'd just go with Ohlins Road and Track if I were you. I'm probably going to switch to those, or maybe pony up for a more track oriented setup like JRZ RS Pro. The damping on the bilsteins aren't that great over larger dips/bumps. I believe they have fixed compression and the PASM only firms up the rebound so it'll never get "softer" when hitting a bump in any setting, it'll only bounce less.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:25 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Damptronics are great especially if you want to drop it a bit. Too low and you will need drop links up front to remove the sway bar preload. I haven't had noise issues with Tarret drop links covered in the rubber weather boots.

Also look into the DSC box to replace the stock PASM control box. It really turns your PASM system into a fully active suspension. Soft most of the time but tightening up the proper corners when needed. It's a real noticeable improvement over stock PASM and easily installed/removed. I'd even do the DSC box first. Check out TPC Racing's website and a few threads on this forum for more info.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 PM
99Slammed
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply: Suspension Question