Sponsored by:

Dr. Colorchip won't stick to plastic

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:20 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dr. Colorchip won't stick to plastic

So I installed the DIY radiator mesh using the Home Depot gutter guards (they look great especially after being sprayed with Plasti-Dip) . When I went to drill a hole for the zip tie I accidentally rubbed the chuck of the drill into the plastic cross piece of the 997.1 and rubbed off the clear bra and made a divot in the plastic about the size of a pea (Arrrgh!). It took the paint off down to the black plastic. I ordered Dr. Colorchip paint for my car and some new clear bra strip from Amazon.

When I use the pink removal solution to clean up the excess it also removes all of the paint in the area I am trying to fill. I lightly sanded the area to get better adhesion but that doesn't seem to help. I also filled some rock chips on the metal hood of the car and one of the driver's door and it works fine there.

This isn't my first go round with the good Dr. C as I used it a lot on my black 964 when I had it.

Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:53 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Normally I would say that you didnt clean the surface enough, but you said you did so.....

Just to be sure, I would rub it with denatured alcohol (while being careful not to destroy the surrounding paint) then apply some adhesion promoter. If its a small area, spray the adhesion promoter into the spray paint cap and use a small brush to apply on the bare plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-C.../dp/B0007UAXJQ

Some plastics hate paint.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:48 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I prepped the area too with the Colorprep. I think it just might be too big of an area for this type of paint. I just looked on their website about the paint working on plastic and this is the answer:

"Yes. Our paint works well on fixing chips on painted bumpers and moulding. If you have large gouges or missing plastic, all you can do is apply the paint and leave it as is. See below for an example on a badly road-rashed bumper."
Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have used DrC on plastic and it worked fine. I would send them an e-mail with a picture of the scratch and ask their advice. Their customer service is pretty good.

Quick Reply: Dr. Colorchip won't stick to plastic