Sponsored by:

1 st repair question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 AM
Jerrsnbrg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 st repair question

Water pump or starter. I am new to car maintanence but need both of the above replaced. Neither are causing problems terribly. I would say that the starter is worse. My question is which of these two procedures would be easier for a newbie? My thought are the starter but would like to her your thoughts. All I have down in cabin and air filters and one oil change.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read up on the proper starter replacement ( with cables).....and thats the procedure im going to have my factory mechanic do. Especially since my water pump was replaced.

From all the online pics and tutorials available, both are def doable by a decent shade tree mechanic in a couple of hours. But my buddie owes me favors hahaah so he will tackle the starter.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

What year is your car?

If it's an earlier 997.1's consider doing battery/alt/starter cable at the same time as the starter. It was revised at some point, not sure exactly when (2007 maybe?).

The cable builds resistance over time from engine heat causing too much of a voltage drop to the battery. Measure voltage at the alternator and again at the battery terminals. More than about 0.5V or so of a drop and it should be replaced. The cable is about $100 but the labor sucks. Suncoast has some details on their site: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU997HARNESS.html
Old 08-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Jerrsnbrg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an 07 c4s with 61000 miles. I don't think I would be able to do the cable myself, it to much. The starter didn't look terrible to do. I was told I have the upgraded cable when it's hot it will barely start, many members stated the starter replacement helped. I figured it easier and cheaper than the cable.

Quick Reply: 1 st repair question