Sponsored by:

New 2006 997 S2 Airbag fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:49 PM
2006997s2leslie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2006 997 S2 Airbag fault

Hi this is my first post. I purchased a 2006 997 S2 three days ago. I have put about 500 miles on it since. Today it presented an airbag fault. I noticed the battery seemed a little soft when starting. Could the two issue be related? Anyone have thoughts on the Airbag fault.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes they could be related. But the only way to know for sure is to pull the error code from the OBDII port and find out why the airbag light is on.

Generic readers will see generic error codes. Most auto parts stores will read and clear generic codes for free. Many Porsche specific codes will not show up though with generic readers. You might need either the dealers/indies access to PIWIS to read the code, or an aftermarket Porsche specific reader like Durametric. Plus unfortunately the only way to clear an airbag light is with Durametric or a dealer/indie visit and PIWIS.

Durametric comes in two flavors - enthusiast version for up to 3 VIN's, can read and clear error codes, and will reset the airbag light. Used ones in the marketplace go for about $100. For the price of a single dealer visit to clear your airbag light you could buy the enthusiast version and do it yourself. Durametric Pro removes the 3 VIN restriction and adds the ability to change the car's coding - disable TPMS, turn off the rear spoiler when going to a fixed wing, seat belt chimes, etc. It also has realtime values logging for things like diagnosing air/fuel ratio problems, turbo boost or the like. The Pro version is north of $500 though.

My advice - find an enthusiast version of Durametric and read the error code. You will need this anyway to clear the airbag light. The code should point you in the right direction. If it turns out to be a battery problem then any H7 battery will do - Costco, Walmart, Interstate, Duralast, etc. There are tons of threads here about battery replacements. Just don't go to the dealer for an overpriced one.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 PM
mattymatt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Currently dealing with this too. I already ordered part and it's gonna cost 278 installed. Purchased my 06 c2s about a month ago in TX and light came on during my drive back to NY, just over 60k on the clock. 2 different indies told me it was the crash sensor behind front bumper. Not sure if an accident caused this by a previous owner but definitely wasn't on carfax so I'm content with that and price to fix.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:22 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattymatt
Currently dealing with this too. I already ordered part and it's gonna cost 278 installed. Purchased my 06 c2s about a month ago in TX and light came on during my drive back to NY, just over 60k on the clock. 2 different indies told me it was the crash sensor behind front bumper. Not sure if an accident caused this by a previous owner but definitely wasn't on carfax so I'm content with that and price to fix.
From my 1.5 yrs on the forum that seems a relatively common sensor to go - without a crash issue.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM
2006997s2leslie
Track Day

Thank you. I have ordered the enthusiast version. I will let you know if it is the same sensor.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:34 PM
JPA1
Intermediate

Hi everybody; I had the same airbag light that was buggering me , after I durametric'ed it turned out there were several fault, which I cleared 2 of them, but the third one keeps popping up, 800B " driver's head airbag above upper limit".. which is probably the airbag electrical connection disconnected... does anybody knows where is this airbag, physically? is this the one in the door or the one in the seat, or in the pillar?
thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 10:33 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Battery died and the airbag light came on.
The airbag is fine, it just needs to be reset sometimes after a Battery change.

Quick Reply: New 2006 997 S2 Airbag fault