&%$*! TPMS...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default &%$*! TPMS...

Had 4 tires put on about 3 months ago. A few weeks ago I got a message on my dash that my right rear tire was -5 low, but when I checked the tire pressure using both the computer and my tire gauge, the tire was fine (38psi cold, 42 warm).

I cleared the code by resetting the TPMS using the computer, but every 3rd or 4th time I turn the car off, the code pops up again. Note that it only does it when I shut off the car, never when starting or running the car, which according to the manual means the system thinks the tire pressure is too low, when it clearly is not.

Does this sound like a problem with the wheel transmitter or the TPMS itself? I'm trying to decide if I should take it to the tire shop or the dealership.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:38 PM
911Finally
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same type of issues. I bought my car 2008 C2S Cab 6 weeks ago with 4200 miles on it. The previous owner had to replace the 4 TPMS thingies. everything was fine for a couple weeks but now I can seem to keep the inflation warning light off on the dash. Sometimes it'll say -4 on the drivers from, sometimes -5 on the passenger rear, sometimes both. Tires are inflated of when checked with a gauge. I believe I'm OK pressure wise but hate seeing a warning light or the diagram of underinflation. I understand it a cool feature to have, but if it's not working correctly then why have it enabled? Warning lights are for issues.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

I'm just going to take it to my Dealership and report back. It's a PITA...
Old 08-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I'm just going to take it to my Dealership and report back. It's a PITA...
I would gamble and go to the tire shop. If the dealer says it is the sensors, then they will try to sell you the Porsche labeled parts.... you may say yes and you will be out big bucks.

Better to see what the tire shop tells you.... do they have replacements? Do they have the wand/receiver to read what the unit is sending?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-09-2016, 11:04 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

The tire shop and Porsche dealer can tell you the battery life of the sensor without doing anything to the car. They have a scan tool. However on a 2012 it should be fine unless it's faulty. On a 2008 with replaced sensors, you'll need to determine what kind of sensors were installed. Some aftermarket sensors are just wonky and don't work well with the computer in the car.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:15 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Throw them out and use a normal tire pressure guage. The car world existed without them for a century. It is useless crap technology...like the rear view cameras that will be mandatory on all US cars in 2018. I guess people/government are getting too lazy to turn their necks and look over their shoulder. As for tires, just look at them before you drive off in your car...if one looks low, check it with the guage.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnireland
Throw them out and use a normal tire pressure guage. The car world existed without them for a century. It is useless crap technology...like the rear view cameras that will be mandatory on all US cars in 2018. I guess people/government are getting too lazy to turn their necks and look over their shoulder. As for tires, just look at them before you drive off in your car...if one looks low, check it with the guage.
Yeah...I'm sure the computer would be able to deal with the wheel sensors not being at all present on the car. Nothing like driving with an error code plus a big red exclamation point illuminated on the dash. If I could turn the TPMS system off, that might not be a bad idea, but then again, how would I know if I had a flat tire?

Took it in to the tire shop today. Wheel sensor battery was toast. All good now and cost me $0. Thanks Bruce and 2 Series for the heads up.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 PM
911Finally
Instructor

I just found paperwork on the TPMS replacement that was done at a Porsche place in Wisconsin on May 3, 3 months ago. I bought the car about 6 weeks ago and now having issues. I assume they used Porsche parts as the total charge was $1089. $204.62 each plus labor. I put a call in to the dealership but they happened to be closed. I'm not sure if Porsche warranties this work, or just the dealership, or no one. Even though it was the original owner that had this work done, I'm wondering if they're gonna tell me to pound salt. The car only had 4235 miles on it when I bought it. I would hope I could take it to my local Porsche dealer and at least have them test/reset/ or whatever at no charge.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

If faulty, they should still cover it under the service warranty. BTW...resetting the TPM is very easy. Just get out your manual and follow the directions using the onboard computer.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM
911Finally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
If faulty, they should still cover it under the service warranty. BTW...resetting the TPM is very easy. Just get out your manual and follow the directions using the onboard computer.
The dealer in Wisconsin got back with me. Since the sensors are only 3 months old, even though I'm not the same owner, they are covered at any Porsche dealership for 2 years. Good news!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:41 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I disabled my TPMS. I dont see the point.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:54 PM
gw911nine97
Instructor

/\ how did you disable the tpms warning lights on the dash when the sensors are gone?
Old 08-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gw911nine97
/\ how did you disable the tpms warning lights on the dash when the sensors are gone?
This can be disabled with the PIWIS. I believe the Durametric can do it as well.

Go into the Gateway module
Select coding
Turn TPMS Off
Unplug the TPMS Module (near the brake booster)
Go into the Instrument cluster module
Select coding
Turn TPMS Off

If you do this with the PIWIS you are done at that point.

If done with the Durametric after the coding of the instrument cluster you need to select "Reset ECU". This should then complete the process.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:34 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

Will turning off the tpms effect PSm?? I know corvette z51 stingray the tpms is integrated into the traction control and stability control.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Will turning off the tpms effect PSm?? I know corvette z51 stingray the tpms is integrated into the traction control and stability control.
No TPMS does not effect PSM at all.

Quick Reply: &%$*! TPMS...